Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by novaguy30
I agree this isnt any sort of blockbuster card and I will be using other cards for actual hotel purchases (after the $300 credit for this one). However -- ASSUMING (and right now I think it's only an assumption?)...the 300 credit can be used for room rates -- that leaves with a 150 annual fee. Given my travel schedule - it would probably be worth it for me to pay $150 for the watered-down gold status -- I stay at Starwood/Marriott enough but Im not someone who will consistently stay 25+ nights a year.
You might be able to get watered down Marriott Gold via RewardsPlus if your profile is up to date and you are UA Gold.

https://www.mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

(no guarantee that it will be available in 2019)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think I read that Marriott said there were enhancements to the earnings with their CCs, but I don't see it that way.
They may have been referring to the Visa card. Better earnings than before, but IMO still not worth using anywhere other than perhaps Marriott.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
As someone who puts a substantial amount of real spend on my SPG personal every month... I’m very disappointed with the earning devaluation.

Not sure where to move my spend... I guess the Freedom Unlimited or PC to the EDP?

All good things must come to an end I guess...
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:22 am

The new Marriott Silver and Gold are just colors with breakfast and lounge benefits taken away. The status benefits of the proposed AmEx cards are practically worthless.
By comparison the $95 AF Ascend includes HH-Gold, which is now equivalent to Marriott Platinum (free breakfast and lounge access). The $450 AF Aspire includes HH-Diamond.
So how's AmEx going to sell these new duds as "premium products"?
hi55us likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
As someone who puts a substantial amount of real spend on my SPG personal every month... I’m very disappointed with the earning devaluation.

Not sure where to move my spend... I guess the Freedom Unlimited or PC to the EDP?

All good things must come to an end I guess...
Amex BBP and/or Altitude Reserve.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Why are people surprised by the devaluation? We all knew this is coming based off of Marriott's crappy rewards program and track record of weak credit card offerings.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
... PC to the EDP?

I doubt American Express will offer product changes from SPG to any other cards. Years ago they would have, but not recently:

USA card product conversions...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
I doubt American Express will offer product changes from SPG to any other cards. Years ago they would have, but not recently:

USA card product conversions...
Doesn't the diagram say Starwood can be transferred to Delta or Hilton?

Edit; NVM, the arrows and double arrows confused me.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:41 am
mia

Yes, the Wikipost shows that SPG cards can be changed to Delta (only), but I would review the actual reports to see if even that is still possible.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why are people surprised....
The only things that surprise me are:

1. American Express will still issue cards with Starwood branding, rather than Marriott branding, even though earning New Marriott points. I don't see the benefit of keeping the Starwood brand alive in a token fashion. I daresay this means that the $95 American Express cards will not be considered new products, so no new account bonuses for those who have held SPG cards recently, unless applying for the $450 card. I think this puts American Express at a disadvantage with the general public, who are unlikely to think of "Starwood" when looking for a "Marriott" card.
  2. No cards seem to be discontinued. We were told that American Express would issue Business and Premium cards, but the $95 personal SPG card survives. We were told that Chase would issue Personal cards, but they still show Business cards -and- there is no indication that the Ritz Carlton card has been eliminated. It appears that Marriott has carefully structured the card offerings so that each American Express product has a close match in the Chase lineup.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:40 am

I think Marriott is a mismanaged hotel chain altogether... It's a shame Starwood & Ritz-Carlton were looking for a buyer. You could tell just by the presentation that they were milking the news just to get a rise out of people, only to disappoint when it came to what changes were being made. The program is terrible and will be just as bad as Hilton someday, but at least they're increasing the earnings on their cards, something that was badly needed for a long time.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
I am fairly certain the new AMEX SPG card is going to come with 100k Starriott points sign-up bonus like HH Aspire, it will however be much more crappier than Aspire in terms of actual value proposition.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express will still issue cards with Starwood branding, rather than Marriott branding, even though earning New Marriott points.
I don't think this is permanent. The name of the new rewards program hasn't been announced yet. There's nothing to change the brand to.
Originally Posted by mia
No cards seem to be discontinued.
No cards seem to be discontinued... yet. When the dust settles, I think there will be 4 cards--2 Chase and 2 Amex.

​​​​​​​Lets see what else is announced over the coming weeks and what else happens on August 1.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I don't think this is permanent. The name of the new rewards program hasn't been announced yet. There's nothing to change the brand to.
Marriott should have announced the new program name and cards with consistent nomenclature.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think I read that Marriott said there were enhancements to the earnings with their CCs, but I don't see it that way. Am I missing something here? It's a 33% devaluation.
That’s what an “enhancement” is in the world of loyalty programs.

Nobody is better at enhancements than Delta, but they’re all learning.
bigbuy, 84fiero, lsquare and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.