Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I expect the Membership Rewards to New Marriott transfer ratio will be 1000:1000, aligned with Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, HHonors-Diamond
My understanding was that the AMEX Platinum card gives you mid-tier status with certain hotel loyalty programs--SPG and Hilton. I'm disappointed that no longer seems to be the case with the rollout of the combined MR/SPG/RC program. New Gold feels like low-tier crumbs. I may be downgrading my AMEX to PRG, since I can get Priority Pass with my Chase Sapphire Reserve. The rest of the Platinum benefits aren't worth the fee.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:38 pm

Yep, canceling my and my husband's SPG cards. And another nail in the coffin for getting an AmEx Platinum which I was on the fence about getting to replace the SPG cards. If they don't change the AmEx Platinum to give you Marriott Platinum status with free breakfast and lounge, then I'll move to Hilton Aspire which gives Diamond, or Citi Prestige for 4th night free anywhere.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
... If they don't change the AmEx Platinum to give you Marriott Platinum status ...
If the $450 co-branded SPG/Marriott card gives Gold status with an option to earn Platinum by spending $75,000 (same as the Chase Ritz/Marriott card), why would you think there is any possibility that the $450/$550 Platinum card would bundle Marriott Platinum status with no spending requirement?
jhartvu, osotoc, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AMEX is really going downhill. All the SPG AMEX offers are being losing devaluated. SPG AMEX being a 1.125 per dollar airline mile card is coming to an end.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cplush
i have to think amex isn't stupid and there has to be some more benefits coming for the personal plat. with the battle for premium co-brand hotel and airline cards i wonder how long amex will be able to keep the status' for plat before the chains start asking why they are selling that without any point purchases coming back. just a thought
I am not sure AMEX has that much of a choice though, maybe Marriott just says this is the best we can give you for the Platinum holders? It's going to be very interesting but I agree this definitely is a big blow for people who liked that benefit.

As much as I would like AMEX to propose more benefits, I cannot see how they will make it happen unless they match to the new Marriott Platinum (and that is not something Marriott will be ready to give away).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the $450 co-branded SPG/Marriott card gives Gold status with an option to earn Platinum by spending $75,000 (same as the Chase Ritz/Marriott card), why would you think there is any possibility that the $450/$550 Platinum card would bundle Marriott Platinum status with no spending requirement?
Because they (Amex) are losing the benefits war and again have the most expensive main stream ultra premium card. I know bottom line numbers might still be good for them, but I think they might start to slide. I don’t expect more benefits with Marriott but kinda expected the same, possibly specifically because of the offset that they’re not giving some insane like 10X bonus on Marriott points or a free night or credit. Marriott isn’t spending $300 in credit + whatever lost rev from a free night is and instead just status, which is keeping people coming to the property. I would assume people that only have status via the Amex probably would pick the Hilton for it’s gold vs basically polished silver with Marriott. Either that or Amex needs to bring in someone new like Hyatt or something else. $550 for some uber perks handed out on a small monthly basis, $200 in airline credits and one hotel chain with worthwhile status isn’t that amazing.

They must really be banking on their lounge options with Delts and Amex and the MR points to be what draws people to drop $550...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

Because they (Amex) are losing the benefits war and again have the most expensive main stream ultra premium card. I know bottom line numbers might still be good for them, but I think they might start to slide. I don’t expect more benefits with Marriott but kinda expected the same, possibly specifically because of the offset that they’re not giving some insane like 10X bonus on Marriott points or a free night or credit. Marriott isn’t spending $300 in credit + whatever lost rev from a free night is and instead just status, which is keeping people coming to the property. I would assume people that only have status via the Amex probably would pick the Hilton for it’s gold vs basically polished silver with Marriott. Either that or Amex needs to bring in someone new like Hyatt or something else. $550 for some uber perks handed out on a small monthly basis, $200 in airline credits and one hotel chain with worthwhile status isn’t that amazing.

They must really be banking on their lounge options with Delts and Amex and the MR points to be what draws people to drop $550...

No, it's the Uber credit they are banking on!

I really can't move my business trip hotels, so loss of SPG lounge access is another devaluation for me. If Priority Pass had lots of lounges in the USA, I would be changing Credit Cards, AMEX just keeps going down hill and charging more or less. But the Uber benefit will save them, right! Oh, I know maybe they will give us a Lyft benefit too and increase the annual fee another $100.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Y'all know that Marriott Gold is not a published Amex Plat benefit, right? The benefit is SPG Gold, which for the past 18 months (or so) has matched to Marriott Gold.

The odds that Amex Plat will now grant Marriott Plat are (IMO) pretty much zero. I would expect you'll get "new" Marriott Gold, which equates to old SPG Gold. i.e., no breakfast
You know that SPG gold is being eliminated, right?

Originally Posted by mia
The current benefit is SPG gold which is being converting to new Platinum. Thus, it's not unreasonable to suggest that AXP benefit would "convert" or be in kind with the new program.

ETA: according to Frequent Miler Q&A w Marriott VP, $10k spend on the Ritz card gets you new Platinum.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:28 pm

Net fee not $450

Originally Posted by mia
Because the net fee is $150 if you're a Marriott customer? I agree, it's a long shot.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Does anyone know which additional airlines will be available to transfer points to? Specifically, will miles now transfer to AA at the same rates as other airlines?
Seems like it

With that in mind, 42 of the combined 45 transfer partners will have a 3-to-1 point-to-mile transfer ratio in the new program, with a 5,000 mile bonus given for every 60,000 points transferred from the new program. That’s effectively the same as today’s 1-to-1 SPG transfer ratio, with a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points transferred. The only exception to that are JetBlue, Air New Zealand, and El Al, who will have different transfer ratios that are yet to be determined by Marriott.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/in-dep...sfer-partners/
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:04 pm

Doesn't make sense to have a premium SPG card without play status included and then provide it with the Amex plat. This ride was fun while it lasted, but I'll be dropping the plat in October. Not even an LAX lounge justifies $550 a year.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:18 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
The current benefit is SPG gold which is being converting to new Platinum. Thus, it's not unreasonable to suggest that AXP benefit would "convert" or be in kind with the new program.
There are two pages on the Marriott site covering the new program from the perspective of existing members.

Marriott Rewards Members
SPG Members

The Amex Platinum benefit is SPG Gold, which maps to Marriott Gold under the current bifurcated program. However, the two programs have different conversion charts for previous status into the "Starriott" Elite levels:

Marriott:
Silver 10-24 nights becomes new-Silver
Silver 25-49 nights becomes new-Gold
Gold becomes new-Platinum
Platinum becomes new-Platinum Premier
Platinum 100 nights & $20K spend becomes new-Platinum Premier with Ambassador

SPG:
Preferred Guest (no status) with 10-24 nights becomes new-Silver
Corporate Preferred / Preferred Plus also become new-Silver
Gold becomes new-Gold
Platinum and Platinum 50 nights become new-Platinum
Platinum 75 nights become new-Platinum Premier
Platinum 100 nights become new-Platinum Premier with Ambassador

Just because SPG Gold today matches to Marriott Gold does not mean that AXP cardholders have Marriott Gold. They have SPG Gold and will almost certainly transfer to the new system at the new-Gold level.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:54 am

According to the VP of Marriott Rewards, those who had the Marriott Gold level this year will become Marriott Platinum from Aug.1 through the end of the year. That's expected to include those members whose status originated from AmEx-Plat. Unfortunately in 2019 the temp Marriott Platinum will turn to dust (or its renamed equivalent).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
There are two pages on the Marriott site covering the new program from the perspective of existing members.

The Amex Platinum benefit is SPG Gold, which maps to Marriott Gold under the current bifurcated program. However, the two programs have different conversion charts for previous status into the "Starriott" Elite levels:

Marriott:
Silver 10-24 nights becomes new-Silver
Silver 25-49 nights becomes new-Gold
Gold becomes new-Platinum
Platinum becomes new-Platinum Premier
Platinum 100 nights & $20K spend becomes new-Platinum Premier with Ambassador

SPG:
Preferred Guest (no status) with 10-24 nights becomes new-Silver
Corporate Preferred / Preferred Plus also become new-Silver
Gold becomes new-Gold
My guess is that this happens when you have SPG account "alone", but when SPG is linked to Marriott, the "SPG matched Marriott Gold" is gonna be new platinum in Aug. too, this is what Marriott VP said in an interview, telling that AMEX gold(which is "SPG matched Marriott Gold" ) will be new platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.