Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
SPGŪ has announced changes to its loyalty program and how its members will earn Starpoints:

Starpoints will be referred to as points. These points do not refer to
Membership Rewards points.

On August 1, 2018, Starpoint balances in loyalty member accounts will
convert to points at a 1:3 ratio (one Starpoint will convert to three points).
For example, 1,000 Starpoints will become 3,000 points. In general,
the number of points needed to redeem in the loyalty program will have
corresponding changes.

To align with this, we are making changes to the Membership Rewards
Program Terms & Conditions that impact Card Members who are enrolled
in the Membership Rewards program and are eligible for a Membership
Rewards point transfer. Membership Rewards points can now be
transferred at a 1:1 ratio into the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ program and
can be transferred in increments of 1,000 points.

I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but by looking at that email it seems to imply we can transfer MR points to Starwood points at 1:1 ratio now and in August they will convert at 1:3 ratio into Marriott points? Seems too good or easy to be true?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:40 am

I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but by looking at that email it seems to imply we can transfer MR points to Starwood points at 1:1 ratio now and in August they will convert at 1:3 ratio into Marriott points? Seems too good or easy to be true?
That'd be huge, if that's the case. Not to mention, picked up by everyone.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I'm sure I'm reading this wrong ....
The transfer rate today is 1000:333. (You can see this on membershiprewards.com) The transfer rate starting 8.1.2018 will be 1000:1000. That's the language which will appear in the terms effective 8.1.2018.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
The transfer rate today is 1000:333. (You can see this on membershiprewards.com) The transfer rate starting 8.1.2018 will be 1000:1000. That's the language which will appear in the terms effective 8.1.2018.
Ok thanks - that makes sense.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as you're not looking for Marriott legacy lifetime points, yes.

But points transferred from Starwood to Marriott don't count toward Marriott legacy lifetime points, so those people counting on transfers to add to lifetime points, it's all useless, until and unless Amex allows transfers to an actual Marriott account.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so what happens if one combines accounts in aug, in terms of the spg account that is linked to amex?
Hardly any detail about combining accounts has been announced yet. So no one knows, if you choose the Marriott account as the one to keep when you combine. (If you choose the Starwood account to keep, then there'd presumably be no issue. But for many people who have most of their nights and points at Marriott, choosing the Starwood account as the one to keep is not likely to make sense.)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spgpromos.com : "Until August 1st .. programs will remain separate"

Starting August 1st, 2018, you’ll be able to seamlessly book, earn points and redeem points across all of Marriott’s 6,500 hotels and 29 hotel brands and you will need to combine your loyalty member accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel to receive the benefits from your combined status. Log in to spg.com and follow the prompts in order to combine your accounts.
official re date and elite status

what do you mean by choosing account? is that referencing something official / from lurker?

i see there may be some interpretation there, i read it as not requiring combining, not choosing account

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 12, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you mean by choosing account?
Choosing account refers to deciding which account number (SPG or Marriott) to keep when combining accounts. You obviously would either have to choose which account number to keep, or else have the choice (or a totally new account number) forced on you. There's no other technical possibility if you're combining accounts.

And since they've never said that one or the other type of account number will be discontinued, the assumption is that you can choose which one you want to keep. No one at Marriott/Starwood has documented exactly how the combining process will work and what all the results of combining will be.

And thus as with so many things about this merger, it's unstated and has to be read between the lines. And is based on assumptions (that they will indeed continue to use both account number formats post-program-merger).
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i will go out on a limb and say combine means into marriott account, i think that would be pretty highly likely, but i certainly dont disagree re how theyre handling

by converting points they never have to require combine
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
i will go out on a limb and say combine means into marriott account
Yes that is how program mergers are typically handled these days. No "choice" involved.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

except by converting points in spg accounts they can let people hold onto spg accounts, which is nice
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And since they've never said that one or the other type of account number will be discontinued, the assumption is that you can choose which one you want to keep. No one at Marriott/Starwood has documented exactly how the combining process will work and what all the results of combining will be.
Short term, possibly. But I'm going to assume the opposite, based on how the United/Continental merger worked. One day, I had a MileagePlus account number assigned to me. US/AA merged everything into the AAdvantage system (I had both already) and discontinued the US system.

Considering all the "exchange rates" are going into the Marriott formula (3x Starpoints), I don't expect we'll have a choice eventually.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
Short term, possibly. But I'm going to assume the opposite, based on how the United/Continental merger worked. One day, I had a MileagePlus account number assigned to me. US/AA merged everything into the AAdvantage system (I had both already) and discontinued the US system.

Considering all the "exchange rates" are going into the Marriott formula (3x Starpoints), I don't expect we'll have a choice eventually.
Concur and I wouldn't expect the merged company to continue running dual legacy IT systems from the previous two companies.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
....One day, I had a MileagePlus account number assigned to me.....
FWIW, my MileagePlus account still uses my OnePass number.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
FWIW, my MileagePlus account still uses my OnePass number.
Oops, maybe I had that backwards then. Definitely only one account though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.