Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alienlookingforpoints
How do you find the representatives ....
Click the second link in my previous reply.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:35 pm

My dad just called AMEX Platinum line to get Marriott Gold status. He gave the agent his number and the agent said everything was done. Call took 3 minutes. But when he logged in shortly after, it's not reflected in his Marriott account. How long does it take?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: MR, UR, RR
I added mine earlier this week after receiving my card, and it has also not shown up yet. I called CS, and they stated it would take 7 - 10 business days, so hopefully by the end of next week for me.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I called the AMEX Platinum line on Jan 30 to get my authorized users matched to Marriott Gold. 2.5 weeks later still not showing.
Since I called, I also matched their status to Hilton Gold. Hilton showed immediately.
This shows how much Marriott doesn't care about its customers. Not surprising.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buschoi
Not sure this shows lack of care as much as Marriott's inability to correctly manage the integration of the 3 programs and the IT issues that still linger as a result.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by roundtree
Not sure this shows lack of care as much as Marriott's inability to correctly manage ....
Agreed, but the expectation that mass market companies "care" about customers will lead to a lifetime of recurring disappointment.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
You mean the customers that likely haven't yet spent much/any money with Marriott properties yet, but rather are simply getting status by virtue of holding a credit/charge card? Are those the "customers" you are referring too?

Regards
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:01 pm
mia

Originally Posted by scubadu
You mean the customers that likely haven't yet spent much/any money with Marriott properties yet...
Marriott sold status to American Express, and Mariott should perform, but if they don't, lodge the grievance with American Express.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Replacement for SPG Cards on Conversion of Marriott Points to Airline Miles?

So it just finally hit me that there was indeed greater than a 33% de-valuation of the old SPG cards to airline miles conversions (not only the 3:1 -> 2:1 points but also the loss of the bonus miles).

What is the common wisdom on the best replacement card that I need to get so that I can get more value? I used to run mostly all spend on the SPG and then not have to worry about charging to my Delta, United, or American branded CC's because SPG's miles redemptions were so good.

What's everyone using now? Ready to shift spend. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I called the AMEX Platinum line on Jan 30 to get my authorized users matched to Marriott Gold. 2.5 weeks later still not showing.
Since I called, I also matched their status to Hilton Gold. Hilton showed immediately.
This definitely needs to be addressed on Amex's website, but on a whim, a few days ago (post Bonvoy launch) I put in my old, already merged SPG number on the Amex benefits website for an upgrade, and a day or two later I received an email indicating my Bonvoy account was upgraded to gold elite. Give it a shot if you have everyone's old SPG number.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Marriott sold status to American Express, and Mariott should perform, but if they don't, lodge the grievance with American Express.
The fact that the status granting from Marriott takes place on a different time table than the process from Hilton, does not, in and of itself, prove that Marriott is not "performing."

Regards
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by rgrunnah
So it just finally hit me that there was indeed greater than a 33% de-valuation of the old SPG cards to airline miles conversions (not only the 3:1 -> 2:1 points but also the loss of the bonus miles).
We still get bonus miles on transferring from Marriott to airlines.

"Transfer your points to your frequent-flyer program, and as a bonus, we’ll add 5,000 miles for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles."

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem/travel/points-to-miles.mi

However, I agree this is now a mediocre credit card.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
You mean the customers that likely haven't yet spent much/any money with Marriott properties yet, but rather are simply getting status by virtue of holding a credit/charge card? Are those the "customers" you are referring too?

Regards
Why not. Why did Marriott not axe the match if Marriott did not want it? Are you speaking on behalf of Marriott's management?

It is one thing Marriott does not offer the match at all. It is another that Marriott offers the match and does not deliver within the 4-8 business days I was told.

By the way, I not so much worry about the match, as I myself am Plat through nights and paid cash for sleeping in the hotel beds.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:27 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Why not. Why did Marriott not axe the match if Marriott did not want it? Are you speaking on behalf of Marriott's management?

It is one thing Marriott does not offer the match at all. It is another that Marriott offers the match and does not deliver within the 4-8 business days I was told.

By the way, I not so much worry about the match, as I myself am Plat through nights and paid cash for sleeping in the hotel beds.
The status match to gold is more like a promotional tool than real benefits. It's a way to entice you to spend and stay in a Marriott over another chain. The better program probably is the Fine Hotel program where you do get some concrete benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: MR, UR, RR
Has anyone been successful in getting Marriott's help directly? It's been over three weeks since I made the request on the Amex page. I called the Plat line and he basically said the request was made and it was up to Marriott, then ended up transferring me to Marriott directly (I thought he was connecting me to another group within Amex...)

Anyway, the agent there tried to be helpful, but kept thinking I was a co-brand card holder. She had to look up the Biz Plat details online to understand what I was referring to. Eventually she made a request to some other department (I didn't quite catch who that was, exactly) and expected I would hear from them in another week or so.

I'm not entirely sure what else to do. Anyone else have happy endings to a similar story? Alternatively, would it be plausible to ask Amex to undo the request and resubmit it; anyone have DP on such a thing?

[Edit 03/06 - This finally popped on March 1st, over a month after first requested]

Last edited by Morgon; Mar 6, 2019 at 6:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.