Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express withdraws from Baltic States

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

American Express withdraws from Baltic States

(reminder : Baltic States are Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)

The Latvian bank which used to sell American Express cards in the area, Citadele, has ceased to do so. It is possible to check it on the global American express website by selecting one of the three countries.

Uber and Taxify still accept American Express. A big shopping chain will refuse them from mid-April. Apart from that I don't have any more infos, I would just recommend to do as if the amex cards are refused everywhere in Baltic States except when registered with Uber or Taxify apps to use these apps, until further informations appear. I will be curious to know if Hilton Radisson or Marriott have alternative solutions in these kind of situations, to keep on accepting Amex cards.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:33 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Thanks for sharing. I haven't been to these states, so I am wondering, what are the common methods of payment there? Did Visa and Mastercard force American Express out, or is there a local network that is dominant? Are cards common or is it mostly cash?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I can only speak about Estonia, but payment by card is extremely popular -- more popular than in the US in my experience. Most people have a Mastercard or Visa debit card. Banks often charge a fee to have such a card, of around 1 euro/month.

Credit cards are not as common because banks have stringent requirements. I once asked for a credit card for my Estonian company from the bank we've used for years, with a 500 euro limit, and that had to go to a credit review committee and was nearly rejected. All this despite our long banking relationship and a history of having a balance of 50k euros or more at all times with that bank.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It does not sound as if American Express has withdrawn, but rather the contract with their local issuer has ended and will not be renewed. This decision could have been made by either party.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Thanks for sharing. I haven't been to these states, so I am wondering, what are the common methods of payment there? Did Visa and Mastercard force American Express out, or is there a local network that is dominant? Are cards common or is it mostly cash?
I don't think there was really competition : most people use debit cards, Mastercard or Visa. I personally use a credit card : Pins Mastercard from Luminor bank (merger of local branches of Nordea and Dnb). 24 Euros/year, gives points in Pins program which is linked to Air Baltic and also allows to buy gift cards to some shopping malls.

I would guess now you are safe with Visa and/or Mastercards from abroad (with chips), but sometimes in low-end accomodations you can be asked to withdraw money in ATM even if they advertise they accept card.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by cbn42
Typically all cards work and frankly often in more locations than e.g. in the UK. Visa/MC absolutely no issue, but also I've always used Amex. Often the reason for Amex to "withdraw" actually is because they are withdrawing the rights for a local operating partner to issue cards. This can in fact be so Amex can issue cards themselves when they see it as a deeper long-term location, or indeed to grant someone else the rights. Something similar has happened in South East Europe too recently. Indeed as I understand it, even in Benelux it wasn't till recently that Amex started issuing cards directly themselves.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
It does not sound as if American Express has withdrawn, but rather the contract with their local issuer has ended and will not be renewed. This decision could have been made by either party.
You are right, Citadele issued a statement according to which they stop selling American Express cards because of reguloratory changes.

Usually payments made in the area with an Amex card were processed by Citadele, thus the probability that the number of places where it will be possible to pay with Amex will decrease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.