Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
.... how did you get 3x back on paying college tuition ....
For a time all INK Preferred charges on Plastiq were mis-coded, but this has ENDED.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
For a time all INK Preferred charges on Plastiq were mis-coded, but this has ENDED.
Thanks for clarifying. I figured he used another Chase card and not the CSR, and your response confirmed it.

If I was in a similar situation, I am guessing the Freedom Unlimited at 1.5X would be the best I could do for any school-related expenses.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:01 pm

Is there a separate thread for FHR and other perks of amex travel? I wanted to see if I should go ahead and pay my hotel (part of FHR) with amex plat OR with CSR? Will I still get the perks if I pay with CSR?

I went ahead and got it after all, I do use Uber and I do use $200 airline credit.

As for dining, Citi Platinum now offers 3x points as well.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Green_eyes
Is there a separate thread.....
These should get you started:

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas]

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tels-only.html

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Citi AAdvantage Platinum earns 2 miles per dollar in the Dining category.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Is there a separate thread for FHR and other perks of amex travel? I wanted to see if I should go ahead and pay my hotel (part of FHR) with amex plat OR with CSR? Will I still get the perks if I pay with CSR?

I went ahead and got it after all, I do use Uber and I do use $200 airline credit.

The FHR perks included are due to the rate code. Not because you paid with a specific card. It's my understanding that the hotels are only suppose to only accept American Express under this rate code. However, I have booked an FHR rate and paid with my CSR for 3x.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

The FHR rules are that you need to use an American Express. It doesn't have to be the Plat card though. I've only used FHR twice but both times they did specify this was a part of the rate. As JHake says, you might luck out with a desk clerk, or give the Amex at reservation for holds but call down to change it and hope whoever is on the phone doesn't notice the rate.

I think you can also get similar to FHR by finding a Virtuoso travel agent, and then pay with Chase.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:38 pm
mia

.... should go ahead and pay my hotel (part of FHR) .....
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, to receive FHR benefits you need to have booked the FHR rate through Platinum Travel Service or this site:

americanexpress.com/fhr

If you book the same property through another channel the FHR benefits will not apply, even if you show the card at check-in.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mia
Yep, I was able to pay 2 of my 4 MBA semesters before they changed it. Was pretty amazing - 180k+ miles for $1500.
diesteldorf and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by txflyer77
+1

I *am* one of these millennial techies and we don't get corporate platinum cards. Frequent travelers are issued a green corporate Amex but if they want to upgrade it's on them. My plat card is on my own dime. And, yes, Chase has this generation cornered with the CSR.
Seconded, CSR did a better job appealing to our generation, compared to the Platinum, which also has a higher annual fee, that turns people off.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:30 am
mia

Now that Citi has announced a price increase for Prestige to $495, Chase will increase the Sapphire Reserve annual fee.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by safari ari
Seconded, CSR did a better job appealing to our generation, compared to the Platinum, which also has a higher annual fee, that turns people off.
Honest question here: Why does the CSR appeals better to millennials than the Platinum? The higher annual fee is indifferent... at the end of the day, they both cost $150.

Combining my platinum, amex gold and amex BBP, I earn way much more points than if I were to use my CSR, CFU and CF. It's easier to redeem those points on Chase but that's indifferent to me compared to the Platinum benefits. I'm a millennial, but sometimes I don't get my generation... If I'd have to cancel the CSR or Plat, I would definitely keep my Amex Platinum.

Going back to the original topic, every time I've been to a Centurion Lounge (SFO and PHL) they've been really crowded.

Originally Posted by mia
Now that Citi has announced a price increase for Prestige to $495, Chase will increase the Sapphire Reserve annual fee.
Why do you think this will be Chase's next move? They just downgraded some perks.

Last edited by mia; Oct 24, 2018 at 11:11 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Honest question here: Why does the CSR appeals better to millennials than the Platinum? The higher annual fee is indifferent... at the end of the day, they both cost $150.

Combining my platinum, amex gold and amex BBP, I earn way much more points than if I were to use my CSR, CFU and CF. It's easier to redeem those points on Chase but that's indifferent to me compared to the Platinum benefits.
Most people just want one card. CSR has far better earning than PLT on categories millennials care about
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by SP03
Most people just want one card. CSR has far better earning than PLT on categories millennials care about
Maybe I'm a different kind of millennial... lol. I'm fine carrying 5 cards. Actually, since I pay all my cards in full as soon as I receive the statement. This means my spending gets distributed along the different statement dates...
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Honest question here: Why does the CSR appeals better to millennials than the Platinum? ...
Until the CSR, all we heard was that millennials are these super-savvy, risk-averse consumers who use CCs rarely if at all, let alone a CC with a high annual fee. Then the CSR came out with the 100,000-point sign-up bonus and all the crazy media hype, and the prior narrative suddenly went out the window. (Were millennials in a coma when the Citi Prestige came out? The CSR craze was like not caring about the first iPhone but then going crazy for the iPhone 2.)

Millennials loved the CSR because it was a free ~$1,000. It's not clear at all that the CSR is the long-term card of choice for that demo. I read a lot more about CSR cancellations or downgrades than I do about people who can't wait to get a CSR.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Until the CSR, all we heard was that millennials are these super-savvy, risk-averse consumers who use CCs rarely if at all, let alone a CC with a high annual fee. Then the CSR came out with the 100,000-point sign-up bonus and all the crazy media hype, and the prior narrative suddenly went out the window. (Were millennials in a coma when the Citi Prestige came out? The CSR craze was like not caring about the first iPhone but then going crazy for the iPhone 2.)

Millennials loved the CSR because it was a free ~$1,000. It's not clear at all that the CSR is the long-term card of choice for that demo. I read a lot more about CSR cancellations or downgrades than I do about people who can't wait to get a CSR.
Interesting. I was under the impression that it was older generations that didn't like CCs with high annual fees. I'm 25, everyone else in my office is 44+ and they think I'm crazy for spending $1,250 in AF.

Even with millennials preferring the CSR, I think PP lounges are quieter than the Centurion Lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.