Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bgriff
Whereas Ritz cardholders have a much stronger claim to be angry given that they actually were intentionally meant to get a 50-night status level and are now getting downgraded to a 25-night status level, with a corresponding major reduction in benefits.
True. But the yearly free night keeps me happy.

Last edited by RedSun; Jul 22, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Big ticket items, like appliances go on Amex. Extended warranty and purchase protection have saved me a ton. Thankfully never had to submit a major claim, but knowing it's there has saved me from buying any extended warranty, and as far as I can tell even applies to manufacturer refurbished items which I have taken advantage of. Restaurants and minor "travel" expenses go on Chase (Chase is very generous on "travel" category). One thing I really like about Chase is the shopping portal for bonus points. They both have their respective places in my wallet
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:14 am

Amex Platinum / Chase CSR - keep both

Been out of the churning game for a bit & looking for advice. Situation; My wife & myself both have CSR cards that we do most of our spend on (approx 30k/yr). I recently got & took advantage of the AmEx Personal Platinum offer of 100k points.

My CSR is coming up on its annual fee & was considering canceling it (wife would keep hers - I would transfer my points to her as well) & use the AmEx. Any compelling reason not to do this? I can’t think of any benefit I can’t just use my wife’s CSR card for I’d be missing if I’m not putting spend on it & essentially just paying $150 to keep it in my wallet - should I downgrade instead (is that even an option?)

For the record, the only other cards I gave are AmEx Hilton Ascend (will be canceling on next fee); chase ink cash business; chase ihg strictly for the annual certificate & Barclay’s Aviator Red mainly as I still get the grandfathered 10k annual points. I’m under 5/24.

Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything I should consider. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by ukyank
....CSR is coming up on its annual fee & was considering canceling it (wife would keep hers - I would transfer my points to her as well) & use the AmEx. ....
I have moved your question into a thread discussing the combination of American Express Platinum + Sapphire Reserve. Reviewing this thread may give you some ideas about dividing transactions between them.

The decision to cancel or downgrade Sapphire Reserve is discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...16-onward.html

If you have a smartphone with a contactless payment application you may also wish to review this thread:

Digital Wallets Get Around the Chase Sapphire Reserve AU Fee
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DG206
Big ticket items, like appliances go on Amex. Extended warranty and purchase protection have saved me a ton. Thankfully never had to submit a major claim, but knowing it's there has saved me from buying any extended warranty, and as far as I can tell even applies to manufacturer refurbished items which I have taken advantage of. Restaurants and minor "travel" expenses go on Chase (Chase is very generous on "travel" category). One thing I really like about Chase is the shopping portal for bonus points. They both have their respective places in my wallet
I took the plunge and am doing the same thing now. Food and hotels chase. Large stuff Plat. Other Chase freedom
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Is the Amex a good card to book travel with?

I know this is kinda not exactly the right place to ask this, but I'm not really sure where I should post it... Does anyone have input on which card is better to book travel with, specifically airfare, the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Amex Platinum. I'm booking a JetBlue Mint flight ~$1400 and would rather get the 5x points from the Amex compared to the 3x points with the CSR, but am I screwing myself over with missing out of travel protections if I do that?

So far I've never had to use any protections the cards offer, so I'm not really familiar with the two and which is better but I always get a little nervous when getting ready to book...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
I know this is kinda not exactly the right place to ask this, but I'm not really sure where I should post it... Does anyone have input on which card is better to book travel with, specifically airfare, the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Amex Platinum. I'm booking a JetBlue Mint flight ~$1400 and would rather get the 5x points from the Amex compared to the 3x points with the CSR, but am I screwing myself over with missing out of travel protections if I do that?

So far I've never had to use any protections the cards offer, so I'm not really familiar with the two and which is better but I always get a little nervous when getting ready to book...
I suppose a lot depends on which card you want to amass the most points in. The travel protection is nice on Chase but I wonder how many times it is really used? If I'm buying a 1st class fare I usually use Amex all others Chase as I feel there's perhaps a little more service/support I'll get from the airline for a 1st class seat in case of issues.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your question into the most recent thread about using Platinum -and- Sapphire Reserve. You'll find many posts in which others explain how they have divided their transactions between the two products.

I would begin by reading the terms of the Sapphire Reserve travel insurance benefits to understand what it really covers.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-comments.html
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

I have flown 60k+ miles this year so far and I have yet to encounter a single situation where I wish I had the insurance protections offered by CSR. I'd rather get the 5x MR points from booking using my platinum card.

Delay insurance is probably the most useful on that card, but there needs to be a delay of over 6+ hours for that insurance to kick in.

I don't care about cancellation or interruption insurance because I don't cancel my trips before I go on them nor do I cut my trips short.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free

As a user of both cards, I have never had to actually use the trip benefits of of the CSR. There are limitations on it you should be aware ofl, like you have to be away from your home airport and does not cover mechanical issues with the airline and there are other pieces of fine print. That said, there are occasions I do put the airfare on CSR vs Plat- usually around the holiday season as piece of mind or an airport that has a higher frequency of weather delays (like SFO). Just my my personal habits and risk tolerance, so up to you to decide what works best for you though
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
In my head, I tell myself that the return I get on the extra 2x with Amex essentially allows me to self insure for the rare instances where CSR would have been handy.

As I've never had to use CC protections for flights, that calculation is working for me so far.

All non-flight travel definitely goes on CSR which helps protect me when I'm booking prepaid packages/tours and stuff.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by sdix
I suppose a lot depends on which card you want to amass the most points in. The travel protection is nice on Chase but I wonder how many times it is really used? If I'm buying a 1st class fare I usually use Amex all others Chase as I feel there's perhaps a little more service/support I'll get from the airline for a 1st class seat in case of issues.
+1 I was stranded in Frankfurt due to pilot strike. Had business class ticket, no insurance. To say that Lufthansa took care of me with hotel, food and more importantly getting me to my destination with a tight deadline, would be an understatement. They even had a special section away from the crowded area to handle first and business class passengers. No wait at all.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
In my head, I tell myself that the return I get on the extra 2x with Amex essentially allows me to self insure for the rare instances where CSR would have been handy.

As I've never had to use CC protections for flights, that calculation is working for me so far.

All non-flight travel definitely goes on CSR which helps protect me when I'm booking prepaid packages/tours and stuff.
Why is that? Will travel protection (I assume trip delay/cancellation) cover some of that stuff even if you haven't put the airfare on the CSR but the packages are?

What about tickets to single day events? This upcoming trip I have has a couple VIP packages at theme parks; VIP at Universal Studios (approx. $600 for two people), VIP at their Halloween Event (another $600 for two), a VIP ticket to Knotts Scary Farm ($300) and possibly VIP tickets to WB's Halloween event. Now all of those are theme park tickets, BUT they MUST be used for the selected date/time and that HAS to be selected at the time of booking... Would those fall under any Amex or Chase protection as prepaid tours? Or would they be more like concert tickets that really is only covered with what, the Citi Prestige card?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I have both. Essentially everything goes on CSR except amextravel bookings on the Amex. For me the Amex is essentially a Centurion Lounge membership.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Why is that? Will travel protection (I assume trip delay/cancellation) cover some of that stuff even if you haven't put the airfare on the CSR but the packages are?

What about tickets to single day events? This upcoming trip I have has a couple VIP packages at theme parks; VIP at Universal Studios (approx. $600 for two people), VIP at their Halloween Event (another $600 for two), a VIP ticket to Knotts Scary Farm ($300) and possibly VIP tickets to WB's Halloween event. Now all of those are theme park tickets, BUT they MUST be used for the selected date/time and that HAS to be selected at the time of booking... Would those fall under any Amex or Chase protection as prepaid tours? Or would they be more like concert tickets that really is only covered with what, the Citi Prestige card?
TBH I haven't dug into it that much. My assumption was that Chase's protections would apply to the items I actually charged to the card (within the covered limits, incidents, etc). Certainly if I'm booking a package that includes flights, everything would be covered. And what about trip protection for trips that don't involve flights?

But more importantly, what I was trying to say was that my need for trip protection coverage has been so rare that I'm comfortable prioritizing point earnings when deciding what card to use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.