Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Another hit just came to Platinum: Marriott Gold devaluation. Next is gonna be Uber. Definitely a cancel.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I think this is the crux of the matter. For corp spenders or high net worth individuals spending tens, if not hundreds, of thousands per month there's something to be said for simplicity. For others who are not charging comparable volume, it will be inherently easier to segregate spend on products far cheaper than AX charge cards.

Yes, one can make multiple payments to (re)clear up a CL. Yes, one can nitpick over the in's and the outs and squeeze a little more from the bank rebates. And if one has the time, will, and nothing better to do, more power to them. But speaking as someone who is on the heftier side of monthly spend, it's just not worth the time and hassle for me...but as they say YMMV.

I do not disagree but I also do not book Y nor WN. Again, YMMV.

If you have not already done so, check out: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ Excellent resource.
Yes, for corp spenders there is almost no alternative to Biz Platinum, but wait, there is Cap1 Spark.
And why would I buy J with Amex points vs Chase, or Altitude Reserve? Enlighten me please.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by yugi
Another hit just came to Platinum: Marriott Gold devaluation. Next is gonna be Uber. Definitely a cancel.
It seems the only big devaluation to SPG members is losing 4pm late check-out (now 2pm for the new gold). The linking legacy SPG gold to legacy Marriott gold for the free breakfast was a loophole while the programs were being merged.
bgriff, IndyHoosier and userjeff like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10

It seems the only big devaluation to SPG members is losing 4pm late check-out (now 2pm for the new gold). The linking legacy SPG gold to legacy Marriott gold for the free breakfast was a loophole while the programs were being merged.
It's also 25% bonus points vs 50%, as well as SPG card devaluation (2x vs 3x for general spend). This is gonna be another cancel.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I've yet to see a compelling reason where someone needs both the Platinum and the CSR. I don't know that it would hugely benefit you either. Sounds like you like the Uber, Hotel status, and Airline credit/cb. Is that $550+ worth of value to you? Also considering that the CSR would give you better insurance, as you stated, and bonus points in more categories. What part of the hotel statuses do you frequently use?
Good points. I do use Uber and airline fee fully each year, so I really only need to recover $350 from other benefits (counting Mrs. Lee's AU card). Hotel status - free breakfast at Hilton and Marriott (for now) and late checkout (whether official or not, having status seems to make the front desk more lenient) mainly. The stray upgrade and bonus points are nice. I also get lots of value out of 5x airfare. Haven't had the opportunity to use the new IAP but we were going to explore it on our next trip. We have a Virtuoso agent who is pretty much always better than FHR.

With CSR, I would lose 5x airfare and hotel status, it seems. Also would need to find another way to get Mrs. Lee DL club access - she travels enough that the $195 AU fee on Amex is worth it for DL/PP alone - to restore that I would need to add her as AU on the CSR and DL Reserve. I could leave her at the club entrance but that seems like a poor life choice.

Thanks all for helping me with the thought puzzle! With yesterday's news, perhaps I need to just wait to see if/how Amex adjusts their Plat card re: Spg. They might pull something out of their hat that makes that card more appealing.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gooselee
Good points. I do use Uber and airline fee fully each year, so I really only need to recover $350 from other benefits (counting Mrs. Lee's AU card). Hotel status - free breakfast at Hilton and Marriott (for now) and late checkout (whether official or not, having status seems to make the front desk more lenient) mainly. The stray upgrade and bonus points are nice. I also get lots of value out of 5x airfare. Haven't had the opportunity to use the new IAP but we were going to explore it on our next trip. We have a Virtuoso agent who is pretty much always better than FHR.

With CSR, I would lose 5x airfare and hotel status, it seems. Also would need to find another way to get Mrs. Lee DL club access - she travels enough that the $195 AU fee on Amex is worth it for DL/PP alone - to restore that I would need to add her as AU on the CSR and DL Reserve. I could leave her at the club entrance but that seems like a poor life choice.

Thanks all for helping me with the thought puzzle! With yesterday's news, perhaps I need to just wait to see if/how Amex adjusts their Plat card re: Spg. They might pull something out of their hat that makes that card more appealing.
I would also compare not only what you would lose through AMEX, but what you might gain with CSR. Again, I don't fully know your situation. I would assume most people who use the Uber credit fully on the Platinum may be more frequent Uber travelers than once per month. Enough that the 3x points from CSR on Uber could be another useful play. Personally, I spend more on Uber per year than I do on airfare and hotels combined. So, yea it is an enticing perk with the Platinum with me too. I still find that many people struggle to break even with the Platinum vs the points you can rack up with CSR. With the vast UR system, it is quite easy to get 5x UR points on Uber and even your airfare through buying gift cards. It would require you to add some other cards though such as the Ink Cash. Through my Freedom (and its very generous categories this year, which changes I know), Ink Cash, and Reserve, I have never gotten such a return on my cards. I'm averaging about 5% return on nearly everything I am buying, even monthly bills.
gooselee and yugi like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've yet to see a compelling reason where someone needs both the Platinum and the CSR. I don't know that it would hugely benefit you either. Sounds like you like the Uber, Hotel status, and Airline credit/cb. Is that $550+ worth of value to you? Also considering that the CSR would give you better insurance, as you stated, and bonus points in more categories. What part of the hotel statuses do you frequently use?
Considering the cost to be $550 is really pretty inaccurate for most of us.

Just with the easy things (Uber and airline credit), you're down to $150. Pretty big difference.

At a straight $550, many, many fewer of us would find value. But at $150? Lots of value.
Statman, IndyHoosier and mhdena like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
You're also leaving out the airline lounge access of the Platinum entirely. It's up to each person to decide how much they value that, but it can be worth a lot and can easily cover the net $150 cost of the Platinum card by itself, particularly if you are a Delta flier.
IndyHoosier and mhdena like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
The Marriot/SPG devaluation is basically going back to how things were before the merger when we didn't get free breakfast/lounge access at Marriot properties. I value the Platinum over the CSR due to Uber, hotel statuses, biogo wifi, and Delta lounges. Sure, I wish they'd add a dining MR bonus, but the only advantage the CSR has over the Platinum in my eyes is the 3x dining. PP is worthless because all those lounges are overcrowded and PP doesn't even have a huge footprint anywhere I fly. And I fly Delta a lot. If Amex ever lost Delta, then I'd cancel the Platinum and go back to the CSR
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bgriff
You're also leaving out the airline lounge access of the Platinum entirely. It's up to each person to decide how much they value that, but it can be worth a lot and can easily cover the net $150 cost of the Platinum card by itself, particularly if you are a Delta flier.
To be fair, the quoted post was in reply to me, and I mention those specific things. I was also considering CSR and already hold DL Reserve, so together those would replace the lounge access the Plat provides.

But yes on only really needing to recover $150 after Uber and airline fee credits. Actually $130 if you count GE credit every 5 years.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zorbachs
The Marriot/SPG devaluation is basically going back to how things were before the merger when we didn't get free breakfast/lounge access at Marriot properties. I value the Platinum over the CSR due to Uber, hotel statuses, biogo wifi, and Delta lounges. Sure, I wish they'd add a dining MR bonus, but the only advantage the CSR has over the Platinum in my eyes is the 3x dining. PP is worthless because all those lounges are overcrowded and PP doesn't even have a huge footprint anywhere I fly. And I fly Delta a lot. If Amex ever lost Delta, then I'd cancel the Platinum and go back to the CSR
I almost forgot about Boingo. Use that a lot overseas and occasionally stumble on it in US locations (as I just did a few minutes ago, coincidentally).

CSR also gives 3x on travel, which is huge for me vs. 1x on Amex except for flights. And as a frequent IAD visitor on DL, PP is something I wouldn't want to do without.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by gooselee
To be fair, the quoted post was in reply to me, and I mention those specific things. I was also considering CSR and already hold DL Reserve, so together those would replace the lounge access the Plat provides.

But yes on only really needing to recover $150 after Uber and airline fee credits. Actually $130 if you count GE credit every 5 years.
Yeah I agree with you — I was disputing Super Mario’s assertion that it wasn’t possible to make a business case for holding both cards.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:05 am

I have both cards. To me, the CSR along with various Freedom and Ink cards for category bonus earning gets me a ton of value for my spending. And as long as the Ameriprise Amex Platinum exists, that card's benefits will always be well worth the cost to me.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia
In the USA there is no mechanism for moving points from one person's Membership Rewards account to another person's Membership Rewards account. Which free card do you have: Everyday, Blue Business Plus, or another?
Just the Everyday Card. So I guess I'll get another premium card when I need them?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Just the Everyday Card. So I guess I'll get another premium card when I need them?
No need. EveryDay allows transfers to airline and hotel programs. I am assuming it is EveryDay and not Blue Cash Everyday which does nothing for Membership Rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.