Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Old Apr 19, 18, 11:39 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia View Post
No need. EveryDay allows transfers to airline and hotel programs. I am assuming it is EveryDay and not Blue Cash Everyday which does nothing for Membership Rewards.
Correct, TY
Old Apr 19, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post

Yeah I agree with you — I was disputing Super Mario’s assertion that it wasn’t possible to make a business case for holding both cards.
Not that it isn't possible, I just haven't seen a ton of examples of it. They are both very good credit cards, but both generalized. How many people would honestly get $1000+ of value each year by having both? Where might one be better? Where might a co-branded card maybe complement better? Tough to tell. We seem to follow this rule where we automatically deduct benefits from the fee like it's a given that everyone will hit them. The $200 platinum airline credit has a ton of restrictions. The Uber credit has restrictions too. They are imposed so not everyone will hit, yet advertised amounts make us do the math, assuming we will.

I think most people want to make it work because we all love the best cards with the best perks. American Express has done a good job with marketing. The Platinum is a huge status symbol, whether people want to admit it or not. We love showing it off. I have no place telling others what they should spend their money on. Heck, for those who travel often, $550 may be well worth it to them to use the Centurion lounge alone.

For me, I keep telling myself I want the Platinum too. At least once a month I try to justify it. The CSR's vast travel and dining categories are huge spending buckets for me (not to mention the rest of the UR cards). I have so many UR points that I never pay out of pocket for airfare the few times a year I fly leisurely, unless I do a cheap carrier like Spirit. It's also rare that I come across a Centurion Lounge, and even more rare that I have time to go to any lounge. I get a bunch of IHG points through work which pays for my hotel stays. I can't book my own hotels directly. The Platinum AF requires a certain investment to "break even" that doesn't fit my profile. The CSR requires zero effort to "break even". Not that I am the standard to be based around.
Rare and gooselee like this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 12:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Not that it isn't possible, I just haven't seen a ton of examples of it. They are both very good credit cards, but both generalized. How many people would honestly get $1000+ of value each year by having both? Where might one be better? Where might a co-branded card maybe complement better? Tough to tell. We seem to follow this rule where we automatically deduct benefits from the fee like it's a given that everyone will hit them. The $200 platinum airline credit has a ton of restrictions. The Uber credit has restrictions too. They are imposed so not everyone will hit, yet advertised amounts make us do the math, assuming we will.

I think most people want to make it work because we all love the best cards with the best perks. American Express has done a good job with marketing. The Platinum is a huge status symbol, whether people want to admit it or not. We love showing it off. I have no place telling others what they should spend their money on. Heck, for those who travel often, $550 may be well worth it to them to use the Centurion lounge alone.

For me, I keep telling myself I want the Platinum too. At least once a month I try to justify it. The CSR's vast travel and dining categories are huge spending buckets for me (not to mention the rest of the UR cards). I have so many UR points that I never pay out of pocket for airfare the few times a year I fly leisurely, unless I do a cheap carrier like Spirit. It's also rare that I come across a Centurion Lounge, and even more rare that I have time to go to any lounge. I get a bunch of IHG points through work which pays for my hotel stays. I can't book my own hotels directly. The Platinum AF requires a certain investment to "break even" that doesn't fit my profile. The CSR requires zero effort to "break even". Not that I am the standard to be based around.
Well, it does sound like it might not make sense for you. But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for anyone, which was the implication of your earlier post.

Really the core value proposition of the Amex Plat is one of two things: either you have a lot of airfare spend, and/or you fly Delta regularly and value lounge access. With either of those things, I think the Amex Plat is pretty easy to justify even in addition to a CSR. With neither, you can still make a case (if you happen by Centurion lounges a lot for example), but it gets a lot harder.

But don't sleep on the value of the airfare bonus on the Amex Plat, either. Assuming you value both UR and MR points at 1.5 cents each (some value them at more), you get $30 in incremental value for every $1000 in airfare spend that goes on the Amex Plat rather than the CSR, so in theory the Amex Plat is breakeven with the Uber and airline credits and $5K of airfare spend. (If you don't have a CSR and your next-best option for airfare spend is even less rewarding than the CSR, the breakeven for the Amex Plat is even lower.) Granted, $5K is still a sizeable amount of airfare spend, but it's achievable for a lot of regular travelers, especially obviously for those who are able to charge some reimbursable expenses to a personal credit card.

Last edited by bgriff; Apr 19, 18 at 12:30 pm
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Seems like the first 4 pages covered pretty much how/why people were extracting value from both Platinum & CSR.

The last couple of pages are more like the other comparison threads, not on the original topic.
Statman likes this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Seems like the first 4 pages covered pretty much how/why people were extracting value from both Platinum & CSR.

The last couple of pages are more like the other comparison threads, not on the original topic.
I mean, you could say that any post containing a response other than "yes" or "no" is not exactly on topic due to the phrasing of the original question.
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post

there was a thread like this awhile back that MIA shutdown after it turned into a personal plat vs CSR brawl. was quite entertaining.
Old Apr 20, 18, 7:43 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again: for the average traveler who has no airline allegiance, the CSR is probably the best all round card to have. A Delta flyer is likely to get more value out of a Platinum card, your road warrior will probably get value out of the Prestige, and folks who spend a ton on random travel and dining will like the CSR.
What do you mean by "airline allegiance". I love Alaska, and I've been using Starwood points to transfer into Alaska when I fly. But I'm not any kind of upgraded member of Alaska. Does that mean I have an allegiance to Alaska?

I really wish CSR had Alaska as a travel partner. It would be a no-brainer for me.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:35 pm

I am considering getting the Amex Plat but was hoping 100k would come around again - guess it never will.

CSR/Ink are my daily drivers and I'm considering cancelling spg personal/biz amexes this fall.

Have a ton of Amazon business spend that goes on the 5% Amazon card.

How do we think UR points will stack up against marriott points come fall? Depending on that I suppose we could swap out spg luxury for CSR, but then I'd lose the extra benefits CSR provides Ink...
Old Apr 21, 18, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Yes I hold both the CSR and Amex plat. The CSR I use for restaurant and travel spend and the perks and I kept it beyond the first year. The amex plat I recently got because my marriott status was going to lapse and I wanted to make sure I kept gold at least for some upcoming trips. Also, I have some delta economy flights coming up and I wanted to be able to access delta sky clubs and the centurion lounge at my departure airport. In addition I factored in the signup offer and the airline credits. Also, had some 5k+ payments that allowed me to earn some extra points in the process of meeting min spend. Given the changes to the marriott program this card will not likely be kept for a second year, since I don't fly delta that often, don't really fly out of airports with centurion lounges, I already have a hilton card that gives me gold status with them and have PP lounge access with the CSR. Still for this year the plat benefits are supplementing the CSR.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
FWIW, I think this thread really has a different focus that deserves a separate thread, so I hope we keep it. I've seen some of the comparison discussions, but it's interesting hearing from people who continue to maintain and hold both cards--they've already offered some insights I hadn't thought of.
I agree. I have Amex Platinum but I am trying to decide if an additional card would add value to my collection.
gooselee and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:43 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by m.photog View Post
I agree. I have Amex Platinum but I am trying to decide if an additional card would add value to my collection.
What categories do you spend in and what do you want to earn miles toward? Unlike the Platinum (and especially so if you already hold the Platinum), the benefits of the CSR are pretty marginal ... the CSR is all about the 3x points on travel and dining, and what you can do with those points.
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I've yet to see a compelling reason where someone needs both the Platinum and the CSR. I don't know that it would hugely benefit you either. Sounds like you like the Uber, Hotel status, and Airline credit/cb. Is that $550+ worth of value to you? Also considering that the CSR would give you better insurance, as you stated, and bonus points in more categories. What part of the hotel statuses do you frequently use?
Amex Plat gives you FHR which is worth more than the net AF per year for me.

Also Amex protection benefits are actually usable. Any high value purchases go on Plats (I carry both personal and business Plats).

Old Apr 22, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
What categories do you spend in and what do you want to earn miles toward? Unlike the Platinum (and especially so if you already hold the Platinum), the benefits of the CSR are pretty marginal ... the CSR is all about the 3x points on travel and dining, and what you can do with those points.
After a bit of reading this evening, I believe the Ritz Carlton card might be a good one for me. I wonder if the club upgrades can be used if you also have a corporate discount. More research to do.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by m.photog View Post
After a bit of reading this evening, I believe the Ritz Carlton card might be a good one for me. I wonder if the club upgrades can be used if you also have a corporate discount. More research to do.
No dice on the corporate rate, or any pre-paid rates either.

Subject to availability at the time of your reservation. Advance reservation and e-certificate is required. Valid only on member rates and non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

To use one of your three Club Level Upgrades e-certificates, please call or have your travel professional contact the dedicated Reservations line at 1-800-542-8680. To view available e-certificates, simply log in to your Ritz-Carlton Rewards account at www.RitzCarltonRewards.com and select “Account Activity.”
Old Apr 23, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes View Post
Amex Plat gives you FHR which is worth more than the net AF per year for me.

Also Amex protection benefits are actually usable. Any high value purchases go on Plats (I carry both personal and business Plats).
Sapphire Reserve includes The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection, which from what I can tell, is identical.

Sapphire Reserve gives you more and better protections. Yes, it does seem like AMEX has better customer service there. It does also appear that it is deteriorating a bit.

Curious, what reason is there to carry two Platinums? I assume one is paid by your employer?

Search this Thread