Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Wading into this thread as I'm considering adding CSR to my wallet. But I already have Amex Platinum and DL Reserve.

The DL card gets me SkyClub access and the free companion cert, which more than pays for itself each year even without the MQM boosts. (I also have a DL Platinum solely for the coach companion cert). Amex Platinum w/additional card is okay value for me with PP, status bumps, Uber/airline fee, etc. Actually has gotten more valuable as my travel has dropped from very heavy to moderate - I spread my hotels/cars around enough that I no longer earn status, but the Amex allows me to still be a free agent and at least have some benefits.

Really considering CSR to move dining and non-flight travel to. Primary car insurance and other travel protections seem nice, too, but am I correct that I wouldn't actually get stuff like trip delay and baggage insurance since my flights would stay with Amex for 5x? It would still be valuable when we book vacation packages/tours and such, I guess. Or sacrifice 2x points to "buy" the better insurance when it matters.

I'm still trying to talk myself into spending $1895/year in annual fees (must add Mrs. Lee to all cards).

As a related note - has anyone swapped their Amex Plat for the CSR? What's the best landing spot to downgrade the Amex but retain your MR until ready to spend/transfer them?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
...have Amex Platinum and DL Reserve.

The DL card gets me SkyClub access...
Is the Delta Reserve's Skyclub access more valuable than the Platinum Card's Skyclub access?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
Is the Delta Reserve's Skyclub access more valuable than the Platinum Card's Skyclub access?
No, unless you count the fact that you save 5 seconds per visit because you aren't required to swipe when entering with the Reserve (since it's hard-coded to your DL account). As a hard value, the end result is they are exactly duplicate.

But if you discount the SkyClub access, I still feel like I receive value from the DL Reserve via companion cert and MQM bonuses - I realize I presented it opposite in my prior post...probably should have said it only takes 2 of the 3 benefits for me to get good value.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by Troopers
A fourth night free via Citi Prestige is much much better than a non-refundable 5x MR booking via Amex Travel.
at least once, I’ve cancelled a 5x MR booking via AMEX Travel with no difficulties. I assume different hotel reservations have different cancellations policies. The bigger disadvantages to booking hotels with Platinum on AAMEX travel are that they are prepaid, so it is an interest free loan if you book far in advance, and that you usually won’t get status benefits or points for the hotel program.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Wading into this thread as I'm considering adding CSR to my wallet. But I already have Amex Platinum and DL Reserve.

(Stuff omitted)

As a related note - has anyone swapped their Amex Plat for the CSR? What's the best landing spot to downgrade the Amex but retain your MR until ready to spend/transfer them?
Look at the AMEX Everyday Card. If you apply separately instead of downgrading, it can even get you a few thousand MR bonus.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:45 pm
mia

....What's the best landing spot to downgrade the Amex but retain your MR until ready to spend/transfer them?
Note that you cannot downgrade Platinum (charge card) to Everyday (credit card), you must apply for Everyday .
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mia
Blue Business Plus includes the same protections as all other American Express cards.
I thought the specifics of the Platinum card protection were better? But I haven’t looked in detail lately so not sure.

Even if they are written to be the same, it does seem to be that Amex is a bit more generous with you if you are a Platinum cardholder, but not sure. Could just be they’re generous based on some generic customer profitability formula, in which paying a Platinum annual fee is one factor along with how much you spend on your cards and other elements.

Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm in the same boat. Was thinking of dropping to the CSP, but for the extra 55, might as well keep the CSR. If AMEX had a card with 3x dining, i'd be all AMEX.
The other consideration is that MR and UR are similar but not fully interchangeable. Most notably MR does not offer any particularly attractive hotel redemption options whereas Hyatt via UR can be a solid option. And the airline portfolios of each has its pros and cons but it’s certainly nice to have a foot in each program since some of the unique partners in each program can have redemption sweet spots. (I particularly value DL and AC through MR, and UA and KE through UR.)

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2018 at 2:41 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:44 pm
mia

Originally Posted by bgriff
... specifics of the Platinum card protection were better? ....
Correct, but the post to which I was replying gave the impression that Blue Business Plus offered no protections. The benefit is the same for all cards except Platinum and Centurion (and maybe the $450 Delta/Hilton cards) which have higher caps and broader coverage (e.g. including "lost"items.)
bgriff likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

The DL card gets me SkyClub access and the free companion cert, which more than pays for itself each year even without the MQM boosts. (I also have a DL Platinum solely for the coach companion cert). Amex Platinum w/additional card is okay value for me with PP, status bumps, Uber/airline fee, etc. Actually has gotten more valuable as my travel has dropped from very heavy to moderate - I spread my hotels/cars around enough that I no longer earn status, but the Amex allows me to still be a free agent and at least have some benefits.

Really considering CSR to move dining and non-flight travel to. Primary car insurance and other travel protections seem nice, too, but am I correct that I wouldn't actually get stuff like trip delay and baggage insurance since my flights would stay with Amex for 5x? It would still be valuable when we book vacation packages/tours and such, I guess. Or sacrifice 2x points to "buy" the better insurance when it matters.

I'm still trying to talk myself into spending $1895/year in annual fees (must add Mrs. Lee to all cards).

Justifying Amex Platinum and DL Reserve together is tough, although I know that's not the question you asked specifically. Though it sounds like you're clearly happy with the DL Reserve on its own merits, so the question then is really do you value the 5x points on the Platinum plus the Centurion lounge access and a handful of other things like hotel and rental car status enough to justify the Platinum. Not hard to imagine you could get there.

CSR beyond that depends on how much travel and dining spend you have (beyond what would already be claimed by other cards -- Amex Platinum might still claim airfare, and if you have any hotel-branded cards those might still claim some hotel spend, among other considerations).

CSR insurance benefits would only matter if you put the relevant spend on the CSR, so the CSR airline insurance benefits would have no value if you keep using the Amex Plat. (Amex Plat does come with some flight insurance benefits, particularly around lost luggage, anyway.) And really, for most of your flights are there any where you're going to say "That flight is clearly risky enough that I'll forgo the 2x points!". The one case where you might actively choose the CSR is that the Amex Plat lost luggage insurance is not valid on award tickets, whereas the CSR insurance is still available as long as you charge the taxes and fees to the CSR, so I make a point to pay award ticket fees on the CSR, and use the Amex Platinum for booking paid tickets.

The CSR does also more or less offer the same car rental status benefits as the Amex Platinum, so that piece wouldn't change much. Main losses if you dropped the Amex Platinum would be Centurion Lounge access (you can buy in at $50/person/visit, though at that rate it doesn't take many visits to justify the Platinum card) and the hotel status benefits. There are a variety of hotel-branded cards that can fill in or even improve upon some of the hotel status offerings, though at an additional cost of course. (We will also start to get some hints tomorrow as to whether the SPG/Marriott status offered by the Amex Platinum is likely to continue to be worth anything or not; there's also a chance it goes away entirely though we probably wouldn't find that out for a while.)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The other consideration is that MR and UR are similar but not fully interchangeable. Most notably MR does not offer any particularly attractive hotel redemption options whereas Hyatt via UR can be a solid option. And the airline portfolios of each has its pros and cons but it’s certainly nice to have a foot in each program since some of the unique partners in each program can have redemption sweet spots. (I particularly value DL and AC through MR, and UA and KE through UR.)
I'm a Marriott Lifetime Platinum (we'll see if that gets gutted with tomorrow, April 16, announcement), so I don't use hotel transfer much. However, the shining star for me with UR is Korean Airlines. They seem to have great first class availability whenever I'm looking.

Main losses if you dropped the Amex Platinum would be Centurion Lounge access (you can buy in at $50/person/visit, though at that rate it doesn't take many visits to justify the Platinum card
The $50/visit price assuming you had any AMEX card was discontinued to curb the crowding issue.

Access is only available to Platinum and Centurion Members and their guests.
As part of an ongoing commitment to giving Card Members the best experience while in the lounges, American Express is actually making changes to its Centurion Lounge access policy. Starting Monday, October 2 [2017], access to the Centurion Lounges will be an exclusive benefit for our premium customers – Platinum Card and Centurion Members. Other American Express Card Members will no longer be able to purchase day passes for the lounges.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
I used to have both and I cancelled chase one.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I'm in minority here. I have CSR, Amex Plat, Biz Plat, Altitude Reserve, Prestige and CNB Crystal. I like CSR for travel and dining, Prestige for 4th night, Altitude for 4.5% on all in-person and in-app transactions via Samsung Pay, Crystal for $250 airline reimbursement per card user. Annual fees for me:
CSR: $150
Prestige: $100
CNB Crystal (net positive)
Altitude Reserve: $75
Biz Plat: $250 (or more)
Plat: $150
I'm definitely cancelling Biz Plat. Very hard to use 35% back benefit, and the airline reimbursement, where airline must be the same. This is a total PITA. I was on a fence on keeping Platinum, because of $150 effective AF, 5x on airfare and MPX. I never used FHR (too expensive), but I used 4th night on Prestige quite a bit. I was at Centurion lounge only once, but I used PP pretty often. After 5x on MPX stopped working, I'm planning to cancel it. I don't pay that much on airfare, will use CSR for that instead. I will keep Prestige, CSR, Altitude and Crystal. I'm definitely keeping CSR as it has 1.5cpp for travel and is my only transfer option for UR points. I like Altitude with Samsung Pay a lot, especially after you can redeem at 1.5cpp without using US Bank's horrible OTA (via real time rewards). I will probably keep Prestige until I run out of TYPs, and it's only $100.
rogo, tomei and cuthroat like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Biz Plat makes your MR worth at least 1.5c. That's really the only reason I keep it. Once I burn down that pile, I'll cut it also.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:37 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Have the AX Plat, Schwab Plat, Biz Plat, and Sapphire Reserve.

As many others mentioned before me, I find the CSR my go-to card for dining and generic travel with Chase's broad and generous 3X earning categories. UR redemptions are for travel (simple 1.5x via the clunky functional UR portal) and transfers to Chase's partners - mainly Hyatt and UA. Also of note is while I earn nowhere near as many points as I used to with UA, Chase's instant transfer to MileagePlus allows me to treat my UA account as a functional ZBA. Not that it matters to this thread, but the CSR is also the card I recommend to others when asked for advice due to the ease and simplicity of the program.

Turning to AX, I regularly charge - although nowhere near those of what other posters report for their own habits - transactions in excess of $5k and find the 50% bonus to be worthwhile. While I do not anticipate reaching the $1M threshold this year, there is a chance I might and FWIW my spend for such $5k+ transactions is larger than last year. The point here is 50% bonus remains material for my own spending patterns and worth ~200k +/- MR for me this year. Reflecting on how front-cabin fares have dropped materially over the last few years, I regularly find myself AMEX purchasing discounted first/business fares, thereby making it far easier to take advantage of the pay-all-up-front-and-get-35%-back-after-the-fact rebate. This means in practice I use the 35% rebate to go after front-cabin tickets with AX, and use UR points for all other air travel and hotels. As with the 50% bonus for $5k+ transactions, I do not anticipate maxing out the benefit but would guess the net rebate this year will be around ~300k +/- MR. Both of these benefits, as well as the 10 gogo-passes AX throws in - are unique to the business Platinum card and justify the $450 (-$200) annual fee for me.

My vanilla AX Plat was my first credit card and I keep it open for the longevity of the account (25+ years). I should note I do switch between products as appropriate and a few years ago, prior to the 5x airline and Uber benefit, this card was a rarely used green card. At $550, this is probably the least needed card considering the Biz Plat and Schwab Plat, however, AX keeps offering sweeteners not to downgrade when I ask. No idea what they'll offer this year, but since I plan on keeping the account open my logic boils down to: $95 green annual fee for nothing or $550 (- $200 fee rebate) (-$200 UBER) = net $150, meaning there's only a $55 delta between Plat and Green.

Finally, I also carry the co-branded AX Schwab Plat card. If AX allowed me to change my old vanilla Plat account into a Schwab, I would have opted for that but as they did not I was required to apply for a new account...and new welcome bonus! The super-power of the Schwab card is the $0.0125 redemption value to Schwab and the potential for $100/$200 off your annual fee, based upon your assets held by Schwab. While I do not have $250,000 with Schwab, let alone $1,000,000, it is something worth noting about the card. The "Invest with Rewards" however remains key as it allows me to go after whatever purchase I want at a far better rate than any AX offers for an after the fact statement credit I am aware of. Cash is always king and the only published rebate to top 1.25 is the 1.50 (via the 35% - thanks mia) point rebate for qualified travel bought through MR points with the Biz plat. I'll leave the question of value ($0.0125 in cash vs. ~$0.015 in qualified travel) to you, dear reader, but would note a $0.10 discount for the flexibility of cash strikes me as very reasonable, and perhaps even preferable.

The tl;dr for AX is the program is more complex than Chase's UR but offers those who are willing to learn the nuances greater rewards for their efforts than the simpler one-size-fits-all UR. As I have family in IAH/SFO/DEN, the Centurion lounges are a big plus, and with DEN coming online in 2019, this is a unique benefit relevant to me Chase cannot match. Out the door, my annual fees to AX are in excess of $1,600 (also have the SPG card) and start to approach $2k when bringing Chase into the picture. However, considering the bonus points earned through their various products and the travel value realized, I am pleased with the results and feel it is money well spent. I also realize everyone's circumstances are unique and this may not be true for others.

Originally Posted by yugi
I never used FHR (too expensive)
99% of the time I would agree with you, particularly if one has status with the hotel. The one exception to me is Las Vegas where one can score FHR rates $100 - $180 during low times with $100+ F&B credits. Assuming LAS is a destination one was already planning on going and assuming demand was low, this is a sweet spot for FHR.
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:33 am Reason: thanks mia!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by J.Edward
... the only published rebate to top 1.25 is the 35% (so 1.35) point rebate for travel bought through MR points with the Biz plat....
Check your arithmetic: a 35% rebate is about the same as a 50% bonus. The 35% rebate on airfare works out to $0.0154 per point.
J.Edward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.