Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by APeverell
I have both personal Amex Centurion and Platinum, and biz platinum, and JPMR, and Citi Prestige and Premier, and a bunch of other reward cards with AFs. Every card has its own set of benefits and reward scheme, they all make sense to me
I agree that every card has its own value. Everyone would be better to ask questions regarding their personal spend habits and which cards may maximize what they are looking to do rather than arguing one is better than the other.
I had the Business Centurion and did not find value in it so went to Platinum. I am curious since you have the personal Centurion what the value you see in also having the Personal Platinum. Just trying to learn
Old May 5, 2018, 6:30 pm

I had the Personal Platinum years ago and got rid of it. I have the CSR (and FU, Freedom) and really like the combination. I am LOOKING for a reason to put the Platinum back in my wallet. Here are my challenges and let me know if you guys can help me find the value.

I have Lifetime Diamond with Hilton so that benefit adds nothing to me on Platinum.
I have a Hilton Ascend that I use for Hilton stays. That gets 90% or more of my domestic hotel spend.
Remaining hotels are business travel and can rarely, if ever, be pre-paid. So the 5x on hotel direct purchases would not help me.
All of my Airline travel I book direct so Amex is a benefit there but I fly all domestic on paid so not sure it is way more valuable than 3x on CSR
I would not use the Fine Hotels on Amex
I will have a couple of international trips next year so the medical evacuation is nice god forbid
I have status on United, which is nearly 100% of my air expense so using the $200 airline would be hard as I don't have many accessorial. Not a fan of gift cards
I would use the Uber credit easily

I am seriously trying to find a reason and value to add this card back into my wallet. I am also willing to concede if it just does not make sense. Can anyone offer me more values I am missing?
Old May 5, 2018, 7:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
All of my Airline travel I book direct so Amex is a benefit there but I fly all domestic on paid so not sure it is way more valuable than 3x on CSR
Can you estimate dollar amount of annual airline spend?

When you cannot use UA or Hilton, do you have second choices?
Old May 6, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I agree that every card has its own value. Everyone would be better to ask questions regarding their personal spend habits and which cards may maximize what they are looking to do rather than arguing one is better than the other.
I had the Business Centurion and did not find value in it so went to Platinum. I am curious since you have the personal Centurion what the value you see in also having the Personal Platinum. Just trying to learn
True! Personal Platinum is mainly for the 5X air tickets spend. I spent over 100k on airline tickets per year, so the AF is well justified by the extra MR points earned
Old May 6, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
Can you estimate dollar amount of annual airline spend?

When you cannot use UA or Hilton, do you have second choices?
Annual air fare is around$10k. My big spends are dinning and travel. Probably 35,000 dining and another $35k hotel. $30k of which is Hilton. The only times in the last few years I have not stayed at Hilton was for convention which were at Marriotts.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
CSR includes medical evac too
Old May 6, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
CSR includes medical evac too
Yeah, but it is capped at 100k.
Amex is a lot higher , not sure if it is capped.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by bigbuy
Yeah, but it is capped at 100k.
Amex is a lot higher , not sure if it is capped.
I am also pretty sure Amex covers you regardless of how you got there. Meaning you don't have to have your itinerary on something purchased on your card. It covers you for being a member......someone feel free to correct me if that is wrong.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I am also pretty sure Amex covers you regardless of how you got there. Meaning you don't have to have your itinerary on something purchased on your card. It covers you for being a member......someone feel free to correct me if that is wrong.
You're right! I found this post in the below thread.

Post 86
"No, you do not. I used this last year after I suffered a concussion on vacation and I was flown from the Bahamas to Miami. Amex handled the triage, booked and paid for all the flights and ground transport. No part of the trip was charged to the Platinum card. The benefit is for the cardholder, period. Was so impressed with this benefit that I made my entire family additional cardholders so when they travel they will be covered as well. "

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?
Statman likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I considered it earlier this year as I wanted a card that gave a good bonus on dining (a large portion of my spend) and I wanted to get into UR Points. However, I couldn't justify the substantially higher annual fee for the Reserve so I went with a Preferred.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mhdena
You're right! I found this post in the below thread.

Post 86
"No, you do not. I used this last year after I suffered a concussion on vacation and I was flown from the Bahamas to Miami. Amex handled the triage, booked and paid for all the flights and ground transport. No part of the trip was charged to the Platinum card. The benefit is for the cardholder, period. Was so impressed with this benefit that I made my entire family additional cardholders so when they travel they will be covered as well. "

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?
OMG that is awesome. That will help me justify adding my wife as an AU for $175!
mhdena likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If I understand correctly, you do not use Uber when it is more expensive than Lyft, which means you have not overpaid. I have never used Uber or Lyft. There is no sense in which the presence of the feature increases the cost of the card for either of us.
Amex Plat is a perks card. If their perks are delivering negative value, it becomes worthless. Anyone with half a brain switched over to using Chase for most of their spend anyways.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sung Sam
Amex Plat is a perks card. If their perks are delivering negative value, it becomes worthless. Anyone with half a brain switched over to using Chase for most of their spend anyways.
Damn I must only have 49% of a brain then

It's too bad that your only use case for Uber is a trip to Seattle airport that is vastly more expensive then Lyft is. IME the two are pretty similarly priced for my rides and I have more then one use case. I like the benefit and get good value out of it.
mhdena likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck

It's too bad that your only use case for Uber is a trip to Seattle airport that is vastly more expensive then Lyft is. IME the two are pretty similarly priced for my rides and I have more then one use case. I like the benefit and get good value out of it.
Yes but you're a.....Canadian?...living in Houston....? That's only two strikes, eh? Baseball gives you three strikes.

Edit: Astros > Rockets>Texans.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 30, 2018 at 10:55 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

The entire Amex perks package is either redundant or worthless for me. I’m glad you’re finding use for it but this is my current assessment as someone who’s had the plat card for 15 years,

As for Chase, their UR gets me 40K to spend on travel / year. Amex’s MR would only net me 9K for the same spend. It just makes better sense to use Chase these days for how I spend/travel/dine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.