Plenti is finally being discontinued as of 7/10/18

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Plenti is finally being discontinued as of 7/10/18

According to DOC who has a copy of an internal memo, the Plenti program will finally be put out of its misery in July.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/plent...-on-july-10th/

May it RIP. If any of you have any points, go use them up at one of the two? remaining merchants...Go buy a tank of gas at Exxon? Only a few weeks left to get a free hangover at Chilis!
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

I was earning pts for my AT&T bill. They changed the conditions and pts earning structure, then canned it.

Macy's changed the pts earning structure, and now they're canning it. Last day to use pts at Macy's is May 03, 2018.

There aren't too many Exxon or Mobil around here. My car likes Chevron anyways.

I did receive 500 pts ($5) for initially signing up, and eventually accumulated about 1,130 pts total. Of which, I have 7 pts remaining.

Plenti, you won't be missed by me.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
According to DOC who has a copy of an internal memo, the Plenti program will finally be put out of its misery in July.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/plent...-on-july-10th/

May it RIP. If any of you have any points, go use them up at one of the two? remaining merchants...Go buy a tank of gas at Exxon? Only a few weeks left to get a free hangover at Chilis!
I think you should save a few remaining points and keep them in a drawer, along with that old book of Blue Chip Stamps (unless, of course, you were an S&H Green Stamp person).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
It looks like anything less than $2 worth in your account will be lost if you didn't redeem everything when you were above that threshold. I guess I could earn a few extra Exxon points to bring it above $2, but I really don't care unless they have a bonus promotion.

April 16th was/is the Plenti official announce date on their website.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Never understood my Plenti account. Never used it. Never got anything. A total shambles that deserved to go under. It will be an MBA case study in incompetence. I also canned ATT who introduced me to Plenti. Same same.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
We have a holiday home in SW Florida where the nearest grocery store is Winn-Dixie. A couple of years ago they changed my [whatever their program was] account to Plenti. I never understood it and couldn't really figure out how/where to earn or redeem points. It sounds crazy but it seemed needlessly complicated. So I now have a few thousand points which will likely expire as I'm not due to be down there again until late May. Never much cared for Winn-Dixie anyway. Much prefer The Fresh Market!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
It was like AMEX was earning fees from customer support calls to reset passwords on the Plenti account , it was the worst I’ve ever used, I doubt that I forgot my password every week, but it always seemed to fail

after rite aid switched in store brand points a few months ago, I assumed that Plenti would fall apart quickly
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:47 am

This is a program that I never understood and always thought was doomed from the start. I did however make bank with the Macy's and AT&T relationships. Given Macy's allowance of stacking discounts/offers I'm sure Plenti became a money loser for them.
EkekoBWI likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My read was Plenti attracted users that were not really profitable for the stores and Amex. There was also too much friction to use the service. I see both of these points are mentioned by others above.

I don't see it as incompetence, I see it as loyalty programs except for the airlines are a program that cost money and shared economies are hard. And those airlines who have milked the profits from their miles programs are going to be in trouble if they keep ruining the redemption value. I feel it is mostly worse for the consumer to have each company with their own loyalty program. A common currency with enough shrinkage options for the retailer and beneficial for the consumer might be a unicorn.

Rasheed
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by rasheed
My read was Plenti attracted users that were not really profitable for the stores and Amex. There was also too much friction to use the service. I see both of these points are mentioned by others above.

I don't see it as incompetence, I see it as loyalty programs except for the airlines are a program that cost money and shared economies are hard. And those airlines who have milked the profits from their miles programs are going to be in trouble if they keep ruining the redemption value. I feel it is mostly worse for the consumer to have each company with their own loyalty program. A common currency with enough shrinkage options for the retailer and beneficial for the consumer might be a unicorn.

Rasheed
Burned my $12 in Plenti points at Mobil gas station.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Looks like I'm one of the few who will miss Plenti dearly.

I have accumulated lots of points from Plenti since when the program starts. My highest balance was 240K points and have 62K points left. I shopped a lot at Macy's and that's how I received most of my points. They often have 10x Plenti points offers so I always check the app for offers whenever I walked into Macy's.

Through the years, I have redeemed Plenti points for two engagement rings, jewelries, watches, shoes and many other merchandise at Macy's. I have also used it at Mobil / Exxon gas stations where I redeemed $25 each time I fill up the car, for the past three years. So I've been paying around $10 bucks for a full tank of gas, thanks to Plenti.

I'm going to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the points. Looks like Plenti is forcing me to go shopping!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I got points from AT&T, a few Rite Aid and Mobil gas purchases, transferred 30K MRs when they had the 2x transfer and wound up with about 88k points which I used at Macy's back in December towards a Stearns & Foster mattress. Stacked an Amex offer for an additional $150 off plus 27K MR points earned.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Concise article HERE recaps Plenti's initial success enrolling merchants, and some reasons it then failed pretty quickly.

...became apparent that the Plenti coalition model was creating a business problem for some of its participants. One Macy’s source told PYMNTS that the rewards offered consumers an “asymmetrical” opportunity to input and extract value.

Consumers could — and apparently often did — generate points at “staple” shops like grocery stores and gas stations, places where points are relatively easy to collect, before expending those points at Macy’s, where they could be used against a wider range of goods. That was a good deal for consumers, but not a great deal for Macy’s – particularly because it didn’t do much in the way of driving new traffic into the store....
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:24 am

thank GOD this worthless program is gone. the Macys redemption rate was laughable, and what an absolute joke to sign Exxon/Mobil as the gas partner. I live in L.A., and of course gas prices are higher here anyway, but ANY Exxon/Mobil station (of the sparse few I have seen) are sometimes as high as $.90 cents higher for all three grades than an Arco or Shell station across the street. I pay to put Chevron Premium in my 95 Benz and even I find Mobil's pricing to be comply absurd. Just so I can earn a digital peanut shell I can apply towards some cheap Chinese factory "Charter Club" polo shirt at Macys after I walk around the entire store looking for an open, functional register and stand in a line of 40 people.

To imply people would actually light their MR points on fire by transferring them into Plenti is Amex's biggest insult to cardmembers.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
the Macys redemption rate was laughable,

To imply people would actually light their MR points on fire by transferring them into Plenti is Amex's biggest insult to cardmembers.
The Macy's Herald Square in Manhatten has an Apple Store where some folks bought iPhones with Plenti points. If they did the 2x transfer MR to Plenti could have been a good use.

I agree 1-1 is/was not a good transfer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.