Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Logical move from no-fee HHonors card?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Logical move from no-fee HHonors card?

I had the old AMEX no-fee HHonors card; I got upgraded to the new, no-fee card. I previously had applied for another one of the annual-fee HHonors card, and then cancelled it.

I just got an upgrade offer to move from the card that I have to the Ascend card. It comes w/ 75,000 points for the spend.

I'm honestly not that familiar w/ AMEX's card policies, but I have seen 100k offers for the two new annual-fee cards.

In my situation, should I take the offer that AMEX sent me or, conversely, cancel the card I have an use one of the 100k point links?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
,,,applied for another one of the annual-fee HHonors card, and then cancelled it....
Issued by American Express or by Citi?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
AMEX...sorry.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
mia

That would have been Surpass which is now Ascend. Unless you CLOSED that account 7+ years ago, it makes you ineligible for a new account Ascend bonus. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Hilton Honors Surpass Card. This should not disqualify you from the UPGRADE offer, only the new account offer.

You would be eligible for a new account bonus if you apply for Aspire.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

To be honest, I want to get as many hhonors points as possible on these new cards. What do I need to look out for before I apply for all of them?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:12 pm
mia

You can UPGRADE to Ascend and earn a bonus, but you cannot APPLY for Ascend and earn a bonus.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

To be honest, I want to get as many hhonors points as possible on these new cards. What do I need to look out for before I apply for all of them?

Here is the offer I got via email from AMEX:
Dear Dingo,
We appreciate your loyalty. You’ve been selected to request an upgrade to the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Enjoy benefits that can make travel even more rewarding for an annual fee of $95.

Confusion: Your post says I'm ineligible for the Ascend card but I got the offer for the upgrade to the Ascend I'm confused by the two banks carrying the HHonors card and the rules around changing products.

I'd like to max out the 100k-ish opps on these new cards. I have two businesses to use as applicants
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:22 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dingo
T.... Your post says I'm ineligible for the Ascend card ...
No, that's not accurate.

You are not eligible to APPLY for Ascend and receive a New Account bonus because you have held Surpass.

You are eligible to accept an invitation to UPGRADE a free card to Ascend, and receive a bonus (unless the terms of the upgrade offer state otherwise.)

Applying and upgrading are distinct processes with different rules.

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2018 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mia

You are eligible to accept an invitation to UPGRADE a free card to Ascend, and receive a bonus (unless the terms of the upgrade offer state otherwise.)
Do we have data points of folks not getting the ascend bonus because they used to have a (now-cancelled) surpass few years ago? I think I saw on reddit that atleast one person got the ascend bonus despite having an old (now-cancelled) surpass card.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:52 am
mia

We have this explicit statement in the offer terms: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Hilton Honors Surpass Card.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:12 am

The logical answer is to take the 75,000 point UPGRADE offer. Then after a year you can downgrade and wait for another UPGRADE offer.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:13 am

I got the upgrade offer too. Anyone know if the upgrade results in a hard pull? Clicking the link to request the upgrade takes you to a page that has language to the effect of "If approved...."
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkoo
I got the upgrade offer too. Anyone know if the upgrade results in a hard pull? Clicking the link to request the upgrade takes you to a page that has language to the effect of "If approved...."
It does or it doesn't. I has nothing to do with the card or with the offer. It has to do with you. Even for totally new applications, some existing Amex customers get hard pulls and some don't. And maybe even one person can gets hard pulls in one case and not in another. It depends on unknown specifics.

Amex has some undocumented process of using "recent" pulls (hard or soft) in place of hard pulls sometimes. Be happy when it happens, but don't count on it.

Meanwhile, what difference does one hard pull make to you? (In general, one hard pull makes very little difference in most cases, but some people aren't aware of that.)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The OP has the no-fee card, not Surpass. If I were he/she, I would apply for Ascend and get the 100K bonus. There is no need to cancel the no-fee card in order to sign up for Ascend.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jbeckett
The OP has the no-fee card, not Surpass. ...
dingo had Surpass and closed it (read posts 1-4). This makes him ineligible for an Ascend new account bonus, but not for an upgrade bonus..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.