New platinum card holder questions

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
New platinum card holder questions

Hi All,

I searched through a couple pages and couldn't find answers to the Four questions I have as a new Platinum card holder.

I kept getting the 60K point pre-qualified offer (currently have SPG card with annual spend of $50K+) and decided to bite the bullet for the bonus and Centurion access (I frequent LGA, SFO and IAH).

1. What is my credit limit? Do I just constantly check spending power
2. I was going to pay my federal tax bill of 10K to knock out the 5K in 3 months, will that count?
3. Most importantly, if I book through Amex Travel will I get the 5pts plus receive my 5pts for being Platinum as well as night credits? Same with United PQMs and PQDs through Amex travel.
4. What qualifies as incidentals on airlines? Food and drink purchased in Coach? Upgrades made after initial purchase? Anything with United on the statement?

Thanks!

Last edited by CashN; Mar 22, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CashN
1. What is my credit limit? Do I just constantly check spending power
It has no pre-set limit. Your spending ability depends your profile. However, without checking it, it should align with your SPG card.

2. I was going to pay my federal tax bill of 10K to knock out the 5K in 3 months, will that count?
It depends on if your charge is considered cash advance or not.

(If you are paying a processing fee for the tax, you can assume that it is a purchase.)

3. Most importantly, if I book through Amex Travel will I get the 5pts plus receive my 5pts for being Platinum as well as night credits? Same with United PQMs and PQDs through Amex travel.
Both yes.

4. What qualifies as incidentals on airlines? Food and drink purchased in Coach? Upgrades made after initial purchase? Anything with United on the statement?
Practically, anything beyond the ticket purchase.

For detail regarding UA, check out this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ua-only.html
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was going to pay my federal tax bill of 10K to knock out the 5K in 3 months, will that count?
Yes.
CashN likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
It has no pre-set limit. Your spending ability depends your profile. However, without checking it, it should align with your SPG card.

It depends on if your charge is considered cash advance or not.

(If you are paying a processing fee for the tax, you can assume that it is a purchase.)

Both yes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ua-only.html
Thanks!

When i read the articles by the Points Guy it made it sound like they treat the Amex travel site like Orbitz and Expedia where SPG will not give you elite qualifying nights or points. This is great news!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
When i read the articles by the Points Guy it made it sound like they treat the Amex travel site like Orbitz and Expedia where SPG will not give you elite qualifying nights or points. This is great news!
Read the article again:
Amex Travel is essentially an online travel agency just like Expedia or Orbitz, and when it comes to online travel agencies, there are very different rules for airline bookings versus hotel bookings. With the airlines, it usually doesn’t matter where you book a flight — you’ll earn miles and get your elite benefits just as if you’d booked directly with the airline (with a few possible exceptions if you find yourself with a “special fares” ticket). So there’s not much downside to booking airline tickets with Amex Travel, and with the personal Platinum, you can even book directly with an airline and still get the 5x anyway.
Beside - it is apparent that there is no extra benefit if you book the ticket via AMEX travel instead of the airline's website.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
there is no extra benefit if you book the ticket via AMEX travel instead of the airline's website.
It's actually a negative booking airline tix via AMEX most of the time. Extra hassle to make changes or cancels.

The exceptions would be (1) an IAP booking where you get a discount not available from the airline, or (2) where AMEX can book an itinerary the carrier doesn't sell (for example, I was able to book a discount CI J fare HKG-TPE-SFO with the first segment on CX . . . itinerary was not offered by CI).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

... they treat the Amex travel site like Orbitz and Expedia where SPG will not give you elite qualifying nights or points. This is great news!
This is correct. American Express Travel is operated by Orbitz, and Starwood will treat it the same as it would a booking made through Expedia (which owns Orbitz).

It's different if you make a Fine Hotels & Resorts booking, but currently those do not earn the card bonus which applies only to prepaid stays booked through Amex Travel.

The airline bonus rules are different for personal vs Business Platinum cards. Which did you open?

Last edited by mia; Mar 23, 2018 at 5:27 am
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This is correct. American Express Travel is operated by Orbitz, and Starwood will treat it the same as it would a booking made through Expedia (which owns Orbitz).

It's different if you make a Fine Hotels & Resorts booking, but currently those do not earn the card bonus which applies only to prepaid stays booked through Amex Travel.

The airline bonus rules are different for personal vs Business Platinum cards. Which did you open?
I opened the personal. So to be clear I can't get qualifying nights at SPG booking through Amex Travel?

I have one more year until lifetime Plat so I guess next year it won't matter. I'm guessing I will have to call each time after Amex travel to add my SPG number...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:12 pm
mia

I suggest you review these threads in the SPG forum:

Frustrated that Orbitz booking means no SPG credit

FAQ: Starwood and 3rd party bookings: any benefits? stay credits?

There may be more recent threads.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

So the hotels seem to be an issue. Am I right that they changed it for the airlines that I can book directly through United for 5 points?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:04 am
mia

...they changed it for the airlines that I can book directly through United for 5 points?
Nothing changed. The personal Platinum bonus has always applied to direct airline purchases.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Nothing changed. The personal Platinum bonus has always applied to direct airline purchases.
Thanks.

So I'm assuming I must continue with amex SPG card to get qualifying nights rather than booking through Amex travel.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:40 am
mia

... must continue with amex SPG card to get qualifying nights rather than booking through Amex travel.
It's the method of booking, not the method of payment, that matters for SPG status credits, benefits and rewards. If you book a prepaid stay through any online travel agency the rules disqualify the stay. If you book through spg.com you can pay with any card, but if you pay with American Express Platinum you will earn only one MR point per dollar. If you pay with the SPG credit card you would earn two Starpoints per dollar.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
So the hotels seem to be an issue. Am I right that they changed it for the airlines that I can book directly through United for 5 points?
Book tickets on UA's site and pay with your AMEX. You get 5x points for Amex MR and you get your PQD/PQM
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I did not want to create clutter by opening a new thread . So I thought I will ask my query here..

I applied for Amex Platinum (UK) last week and was accepted .

I had asked for Mrs.ukdoctor to be the supplementary card holder .

My amex platinum card arrived yesterday and the priority passes for both me and Mrs. ukdoctor arrived in separate envelopes today..

However Mrs. Ukdoctors card has not arrived yet.

Is this normal for Amex UK to dispatch the main and supplementary card at different times. ??

In my amex online account I can see the last digits of her card number .I assume this means that she has been accepted. ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.