Wiki Posts
Search

Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
i guess I am not a typical Amex user then
I got my first Amex in 1983 when in college and no one else would issue me a card. I went the next 30 years and never even applied for a MC or VISA. It just helped me manage my money by never spending more than I had and I liked that. So if someone said they didn't take AMEX and I didn't have cash, I'd def walk away.

The most ridiculous one was my sister's church. She was doing some challenge thing and I decided to donate to help her but they didn't take Amex. Since she worked there as well I asked why not, and she said they charge too much. I was like "Wait, really? You take money and don't have to give anything in return. Getting 97% of it instead of 98% is still a great deal. But in this case I'm afraid it's going to be 0%. You should never put up barriers to someone willing to donate their money."

But alas, a few years ago I broke down and got a Diners Club due to hassles when overseas with pitiful lack of acceptance and lack of Chip and PIN. When I heard DC had a Chip and PIN preferred card (read about it here) I jumped on it.
Gasolin and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:39 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Anyone who thinks Discover is accepted everywhere should step outside the US. Europe has never heard of it. I am happy that Amex is making itself more retailer-friendly, but they'll need to combine that with a lot of publicity. Once again, many places in Europe do not accept Amex because of the high charges to retailers. In the UK, I am increasingly finding retailers who don't even accept credit cards anymore, only debit cards.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by kyanar
I'm saying since it's the merchant being charged, not you, your logic is flawed since you're basically saying since they charge someone else more, they should give you better service and that reducing the amount they charge someone else will give you worse service. This doesn't logically follow. At all.
Good. I'm not the only once who didn't follow his argument. But, since when does logic have any place in a FT discussion?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
How so? Do you have any actual financial metrics that back that up?
Just use common sense. Take a close look at Chase's card portfolio, which one is better? Chase is constantly expanding their credit card offerings and increasing the rewards and benefits.

The introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve sparked a sudden interest from AMEX to "improve" the Platinum. AMEX was obviously scared that yet again, people would dump them and move to a Visa.

Read through the Flyertalk forums and other various forums that pertain to credit cards... The Chase Sapphire Reserve punched AMEX right in the mouth, and the combination of UR earning cards [generally] are a combination AMEX can't/doesn't match, plus the higher value of UR points in general are better for the consumer, while AMEX has been reducing the value of MR points for years.

For a while, the Citi Prestige also punched the AMEX Platinum in the mouth, but then Citi decided to become thrifty and devalue it. Citi and Visa also stole Costco away from AMEX, while Barclays (MasterCard) stole Jet Blue away.

Let's also not forget the recent AMEX struggles where the stock plunged by 50% between 2015 and mid-2016. Clearly the other brands were eating their lunch and still are if AMEX finds a sudden need to "increase" the level at which they reduce merchant fees to gain acceptance.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by kyanar
No, I'm not saying that it will have that effect. I'm saying since it's the merchant being charged, not you, your logic is flawed since you're basically saying since they charge someone else more, they should give you better service and that reducing the amount they charge someone else will give you worse service. This doesn't logically follow. At all.
I've said all along the merchant is the one paying the fee, unless of course, they surcharge the 3%, which does happen in some states. Reduce revenue = Less services for the cardholder. The increased revenue used to go towards the cardholder's perks.

But Amex isn't accepted at 65% of merchants. Not by a long shot. I found it ironic that travelling in the US, Amex acceptance was worse than Australia... And the reason for that is likely due to the much higher merchant rate charged to merchants.
AMEX is accepted at well over 50% of U.S merchants, and I believe the overall numbers in the link I provided earlier in the thread show what's roughly a 65% acceptance rate. I would know because I've lived here all my life. I don't have an issue using my AMEX, except at my local barber shop and Byrne Dairy (a gas station), and my health insurance company (Blue Cross/Blue Shield)... I've never had a problem anywhere else.

There's also no way AMEX acceptance here is worse than Australia seeing as American Express is a country based in the U.S - sorry, but your assumption is simply not true. Just because there isn't an AMEX sticker in the merchant's window, doesn't mean they don't take it.

What are you talking about? Of course there's a merchant fee - they're not going to give you 0%.
I'm saying the fee to process the card can vary. If I use Square, I pay 2.75% to accept the AMEX Green card. Large merchants like Walmart will pay less to accept an AMEX v. a small business who barely sparks transaction volume.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Just use common sense. Take a close look at Chase's card portfolio, which one is better? Chase is constantly expanding their credit card offerings and increasing the rewards and benefits.

The introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve sparked a sudden interest from AMEX to "improve" the Platinum. AMEX was obviously scared that yet again, people would dump them and move to a Visa.

Read through the Flyertalk forums and other various forums that pertain to credit cards... The Chase Sapphire Reserve punched AMEX right in the mouth, and the combination of UR earning cards [generally] are a combination AMEX can't/doesn't match, plus the higher value of UR points in general are better for the consumer, while AMEX has been reducing the value of MR points for years.

For a while, the Citi Prestige also punched the AMEX Platinum in the mouth, but then Citi decided to become thrifty and devalue it. Citi and Visa also stole Costco away from AMEX, while Barclays (MasterCard) stole Jet Blue away.

Let's also not forget the recent AMEX struggles where the stock plunged by 50% between 2015 and mid-2016. Clearly the other brands were eating their lunch and still are if AMEX finds a sudden need to "increase" the level at which they reduce merchant fees to gain acceptance.
So by saying "just use common sense", is that short hand for saying you don't have any data to back up your claim that Chase is eating Amex's lunch? Anecdotes around FT are always interesting to read but remember that we are an acute minority of CC using customers that know how to use the system to our advantage. Most customers aren't us. Chase has a great CC portfolio, I'm not denying that, I'm a big Chase user but to say that Chase is killing Amex and feeding off its corpse is a bit hyperbolic (my words, not yours ) and not really grounded in fact.

And while your comment about Amex's stock price is true, you seem to be ignoring that since 2016 it has fully recovered and is currently near it's all time high.

mia posted this in another thread, that Amex's net card fee revenue has continued to grow about 10% in the past 3 years. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29535843-post15.html
conde likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Interesting numbers.
I owned a retail business for 30 years. The average yearly volume during about the last decade of ownership was 4 million dollars. About the last 10 years or so of ownership I took Amex cards. Shortly after I started taking their cards in in the mid 1990's, Amex offered me a 1/2 percent reduction in the fee (2.2% instead of 2.7%) if I agreed to let them hold my money for 30 days instead of the normal 3 days. I accepted. At the time, Visa and Master Card charged me 1.43% and Discover was less.
Here are the numbers rounded to dollars that have stuck in my brain since selling the business. I can't remember the pennies.
Average cash transaction - $11
Average check transaction - $14
Average Discover transaction - $17
Average Master Card transaction - $23
Average Visa transaction- $26
Average AMEX transaction - $31
I was in an extremely low margin business, but gladly took Amex for the extra revenue
Really interesting data points. Thanks for sharing!

Just use common sense.
Translation: "I have nothing to back up my argument."

So by saying "just use common sense", is that short hand for saying you don't have any data to back up your claim that Chase is eating Amex's lunch? Anecdotes around FT are always interesting to read but remember that we are an acute minority of CC using customers that know how to use the system to our advantage. Most customers aren't us. Chase has a great CC portfolio, I'm not denying that, I'm a big Chase user but to say that Chase is killing Amex and feeding off its corpse is a bit hyperbolic (my words, not yours ) and not really grounded in fact.

And while your comment about Amex's stock price is true, you seem to be ignoring that since 2016 it has fully recovered and is currently near it's all time high.

mia posted this in another thread, that Amex's net card fee revenue has continued to grow about 10% in the past 3 years. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29535843-post15.html
+1 to all of this.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:56 am

What about this?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/b...e-reserve.html

That blue card, executives at American Express knew, was the Chase Sapphire Reserve, a wedge of plastic and metal that was already giving the Amex brass night terrors. In August, Chase released the Sapphire Reserve with an audacious sign-up bonus of 100,000 points and a smorgasbord of cardholder benefits, setting off an avalanche of applications from millennials and a flood of social media postings exalting the awesomeness of Chase.
A credit card, mystifyingly, had suddenly become cool. And what really got under Amex executives’ skin was that Chase was succeeding by, essentially, copying the American Express playbook and chasing the same up-and-coming elites who had traditionally joined Amex’s ranks.
A few months later, one of American Express’s top executives confessed at a conference that “I am deeply paranoid about these types of competitive assaults on our customer base.” Then, the company announced a slew of new cardholder perks that seemed suspiciously timed to beat back Chase’s enticements.
If your competitor is scared, you're eating their lunch. AMEX is obviously not making the kind of revenue they want if they are looking for ways to stop losing out to their competitors. I would say the article shows the interests of millennials, the up and coming generations more than just us Flyertalkers.

Chase isn't the one looking to revamp its cards to match it's competitors... AMEX is the one doing that, nor is Chase and Visa looking to reduce interchange fees here.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Really interesting data points. Thanks for sharing!
Translation: "I have nothing to back up my argument."
... Except for the remaining part of my post you chose to snip out.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
What about this?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/b...e-reserve.html

If your competitor is scared, you're eating their lunch. AMEX is obviously not making the kind of revenue they want if they are looking for ways to stop losing out to their competitors. I would say the article shows the interests of millennials, the up and coming generations more than just us Flyertalkers.

Chase isn't the one looking to revamp its cards to match it's competitors... AMEX is the one doing that, nor is Chase and Visa looking to reduce interchange fees here.
... Except for the remaining part of my post you chose to snip out.
Your base argument with me was that reducing interchange fees would not attract enough new merchants/transactions to make up for the lost revenue resulting from the lower fees overall.

Nothing you have posted yet backs up that claim.

The article you linked very correctly states that AMEX is now competing with other card issuers who are going after Amex's historical base audience. Nobody here is arguing with you on that.

Chase isn't looking to revamp their offerings because THEY ALREADY DID THAT - the subject of the very article you linked. Visa/MC also don't need to explore reducing their interchange rates because they're already lower. Your train of thought continues to make no sense.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rickg523
As long as Amex saves me more than than the annual fee for the Platinum Card with their IAP, I'll keep the card. Save me a grand on a couple of r/t tix and I couldn't care less about it's acceptance when shopping.
I carry a BarclayCard Arrival Plus for when Amex doesn't work.
And I have my choice of West Coast-based carrier-branded Visas for Costco.
​​​​​​I'm simply using these cards to suit my needs. I am not trying to maximize awards and such. So I can understand how the knock on effects of this reduction might concern those that do.
Exactly. I use Amex when/where I can - and have a backup Visa/MC where when I cannot. Amex still provides me with the best rewards (via SPG) and remains my primary card. Now if this decision ultimately results in them cutting benefits, then I will switch cards. Until then - I really don't care what they do.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

i guess I am not a typical Amex user then even though I currently have half a dozen cards. Because if a merchant tells me they don’t take Amex, I say “no problem” and pull out a Visa or MC. My gut feel is that there aren’t many of your “typical AMEX users” in the world who’d rather go to a competitor than using an alternative credit card,
I think hat "typical AMEX users" that just has one card is a corporate or business user. Usually the company just issues them one card. If they have business expenses they put it on the card or they pay for it personally and fill out extra paperwork to claim it back.

I would expect the CFO or who ever runs the company card program to be under internal pressure to switch from AMEX to someone else the one card they issue their staff members are inconvenient or not widely accepted.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think hat "typical AMEX users" that just has one card is a corporate or business user. Usually the company just issues them one card. If they have business expenses they put it on the card or they pay for it personally and fill out extra paperwork to claim it back.
I have a green Amex as a corporate card. I am not much of a business traveler, but I am supposed to put all my business expenses on the corporate card, which is generally no problem; most restaurants and all hotels/car rentals/airlines take it. On the rare occasion where I choose a restaurant tha5 doesn’t take Amex I am allowed to use alternative means of payment (aka my personal Visa or MasterCard). So the window stickers indicating which cards are accepted are not particularly important to me. I choose the merchant based on other criteria.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by weave
I got my first Amex in 1983 when in college and no one else would issue me a card. I went the next 30 years and never even applied for a MC or VISA.

The green Amex was my first credit card, for similar reasons. But I don’t think the typical Amex user follows your pattern of not getting another card for 30 years. I think I got the AT&T Visa not much later because at the time it was one of the few that offered car rental insurance.

One of my utilities (don’t recall whether it is water, gas or electric) doesn’t accept Amex. I don’t think many of their customers walk away from the service because of that
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Your base argument with me was that reducing interchange fees would not attract enough new merchants/transactions to make up for the lost revenue resulting from the lower fees overall.

Nothing you have posted yet backs up that claim.

The article you linked very correctly states that AMEX is now competing with other card issuers who are going after Amex's historical base audience. Nobody here is arguing with you on that.

Chase isn't looking to revamp their offerings because THEY ALREADY DID THAT - the subject of the very article you linked. Visa/MC also don't need to explore reducing their interchange rates because they're already lower. Your train of thought continues to make no sense.
It's hard to keep track when you're talking to five different people at once.

Reducing your merchant fees for 100% of your current customers [on the merchant side], and then adding a 30% additional acceptance rate in addition to what you have will likely barely have an effect on profits. The net gain probably wouldn't be that much (see below). .

Let's say I made $5,000,000 from my current merchants that make up 65% of the merchant population, while charging on average, a 3% rate.
If I significantly reduce the rate to 2% on average, I'm only making 2/3rds of what I made before if the same amount of spending takes place from the previous year ($3,300,000).
If I add additional 30% of the merchant population into the equation, and say, get $5,500,000.00 in revenue after the fact, I haven't gained that much money.

Chase isn't "revamping" their offerings. They're coming out with new products that either do or don't compete with AMEX. For example, the CSR "competes" with the Platinum, but it was introduced as a new product. AMEX on the other hand, had to go back and edit the current benefits and rewards structure just to keep up... If AMEX didn't feel threatened, they would have left the Platinum alone. The article states that AMEX's executives fear the additional competition will burn them, but with the way I interpreted the article (and their statement), the executives were feeling the heat before the CSR was even introduced by way of other product offerings (like the Citi Prestige, Merrill Lynch's Octave, etc.).

And of course I don't make sense to you... You have no grasp of how the free market works. AMEX is only reducing merchant fees because competition is forcing them to. or if they don't reduce them, they think they won't be able to compete anymore (apparently). Without competition, card interchange fees would go up in the U.S, not down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.