Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Amex Offers on hotels booked through agency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

On Amex Offers, like the current $45 off $250 Hilton offer, the details state, "Must book direct with Hilton," but in the fine print, also states, "Offer does not apply to advance purchase rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates."

While I understand the terms as listed, I know that often, promotions are tied to room rates that are eligible to earn loyalty points, but not specials that are often tied to non-refundable, pre-paid rates.

Does anyone have experience with booking a standard, post-paid rate through a portal (like for business travel), and having it qualify for these promotions? Yes, no, or YMMV?

I'm doing some business travel soon that must be booked through the portal, and this may affect my lodging choice.

Thanks! Apologies if this has been asked before--I couldn't find a comparable thread.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by knicknut
... a standard, post-paid rate through a portal (like for business travel), and having it qualify for these promotions? Yes, no, or YMMV?
Walk us through how the transaction gets charged. If you use the portal to book the rate, but free to use another card for the charge during checkout, then yes, present your Amex and you will get it.

If the portal locks in the rate AND the card, and IF you can charge on your Amex, then it matters how the transaction comes through. If it shows the hotel property name, then yes. If it's the travel agency portal name, then no.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I present my card at check-in. The card given at booking is just in case of no-show, I believe. I'm pretty sure I've presented a different card at check-in, and that's what's been charged. They almost always show as the hotel name. Which I believe means your answer is "yes." Thank you. Does anyone have a different opinion?

I will post a data point if I am able to test it out.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've received a few different offers like this with various hotels promotions via Amex. I got my Hotels.com night credit & the Amex promotion. The charges were processed at checkout to the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.