Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time between cards to get new MR account (USA)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Time between cards to get new MR account (USA)?

In early Jan (~65 days ago), I had closed out my Amex Platinum personal card which was the only Membership Rewards (MR) earning card, with a tiny MR balance (< 500 points). Once the card closed, I completely lost access to those points as expected.

If I open a new membership rewards earning card today (e.g. Mercedez Platinum), do we have any data points if this will be tied to that old MR account or a brand new one? Due to some MS-activity on my old account I would prefer a new membership rewards account to prevent unexpected clawbacks should a manual review ever occur.

I wanted to know if we have some definite time till a new MR account is issued.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
In early Jan (~65 days ago), I had closed out my Amex Platinum personal card which was the only Membership Rewards (MR) earning card, with a tiny MR balance (< 500 points). Once the card closed, I completely lost access to those points as expected.

If I open a new membership rewards earning card today (e.g. Mercedez Platinum), do we have any data points if this will be tied to that old MR account or a brand new one? Due to some MS-activity on my old account I would prefer a new membership rewards account to prevent unexpected clawbacks should a manual review ever occur.

I wanted to know if we have some definite time till a new MR account is issued.
Any time I've ever opened a new Amex card, I had the option to register it to a new MR account. You would have to specifically add the new card to the old account for it to happen, so I doubt you'll have any issues there. I suppose they could still clawback by comparing SSN and other details, but I doubt it would ever happen. You should be good to go.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
..., I had the option to register it to a new MR account. ....
I think you had the option to register it to a new online account, which does not create a new Membership Rewards account if the system has already found a match. It is possible to ask customer service to segregate rewards accounts, but that is not the default mode for USA-issued cards.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mia
I think you had the option to register it to a new online account, which does not create a new Membership Rewards account if the system has already found a match. It is possible to ask customer service to segregate rewards accounts, but that is not the default mode for USA-issued cards.
No, it created an entirely different MR account with different numbers and I had to specifically ask to merge them via chat on the Amex app, not just merge the online accounts. That may not be the default situation, but it has been the situation for every Amex I've ever opened. Possibly because I never sign up for subsequent Amex cards while logged in and use an alternative address in order to get the best available offer?

Might not be the same for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.