5x points and FHR?

Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well the alternative is to not prepay with Plat, but instead pay with your SPG Amex, for 23.5x.

IMO the 5x for prepay is most valuable when you're going outside the loyalty program.
very true and hopefully people see that 5x MR FHR prepaid is not a good deal for large chain loyalty. meaning, if you are Starriott PP and have some type of Starriott CC then you are getting 23.5x/$1. no way would i give that up for FHR 5x MR. just doesnt make sense when PP gives you much of the same benefits.

even if you are outside the loyalty program, you forgo CC spend flexibility for 5x MR. meaning, Amex offers, hitting min spend, other spending bonuses and etc. based on your travels, it may be useful, but for some, 5x FHR could be useless. not to mention so many other variables such as focus on cheap one night stays or cheaper longer term stays where you dont need "fine hotels" in which case 3x CSR or Prestige would be useful.

however, one thing I am unclear is the future of FHR bookings. will it become all prepaid only like OTA? i thought that was the plan vs FHR w/ pay onsite upon checkout.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:49 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
very true and hopefully people see that 5x MR FHR prepaid is not a good deal for large chain loyalty. meaning, if you are Starriott PP and have some type of Starriott CC then you are getting 23.5x/$1. no way would i give that up for FHR 5x MR. just doesnt make sense when PP gives you much of the same benefits.

even if you are outside the loyalty program, you forgo CC spend flexibility for 5x MR. meaning, Amex offers, hitting min spend, other spending bonuses and etc. based on your travels, it may be useful, but for some, 5x FHR could be useless. not to mention so many other variables such as focus on cheap one night stays or cheaper longer term stays where you dont need "fine hotels" in which case 3x CSR or Prestige would be useful.

however, one thing I am unclear is the future of FHR bookings. will it become all prepaid only like OTA? i thought that was the plan vs FHR w/ pay onsite upon checkout.
Keep in Mind you also only get the 5x on the room rate, not incidentals...for those that spend a lot on hotel services that's a big loss.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Keep in Mind you also only get the 5x on the room rate, not incidentals...for those that spend a lot on hotel services that's a big loss.
exactly. so one would have to use some other payment form upon checkout anyway, so clearly, one would need some type of CC strategy for incidental spend. so CSR and Prestige or Premier come to mind. But many other cards are great choices. also, the incidentals may be high enough that amex offers could be used as well.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Anyone in the same situation? My pre-this-change online FHR booking (with a 8-digit trip ID) cannot be pulled up on Amex's website, nor can PTS agents see it. Did it just get canceled?

The property that I booked for had lowered its rates so I was looking to change it - I could just do a new reservation but the now-vanished ressie mentioned above is within the cancelation deadline...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Anyone in the same situation? My pre-this-change online FHR booking (with a 8-digit trip ID) cannot be pulled up on Amex's website, nor can PTS agents see it. Did it just get canceled?

The property that I booked for had lowered its rates so I was looking to change it - I could just do a new reservation but the now-vanished ressie mentioned above is within the cancelation deadline...
wish i could help you out, but never been in such a situation. most likely stuff is changing with amex in the back-end and some glitch happened.

however, when issues similar to this came up for me personally, i would ALWAYS call the hotel and speak with their manager first. im sure you had tried that already. what did they say? they can usually do magic on their end because its their own property. such as change dates, re-book, cancel fees and etc. travels agents cant do anything compared to what the actual property can do for you.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by G-CIVC

Is this for a former SPG property? I've got an FHR reservation for an SPG-turned-MAR property, and the Amex online booking can be pulled up but is completely blank. The reservation on Marriott's end exists, but shows my bed type (and non-smoking preference) as unavailable.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Is this for a former SPG property? I've got an FHR reservation for an SPG-turned-MAR property, and the Amex online booking can be pulled up but is completely blank. The reservation on Marriott's end exists, but shows my bed type (and non-smoking preference) as unavailable.
and when you called the property, everything looks good right? all the details correct?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:38 pm

I take it that we can't combine the 5x prepaid FHR booking with any targeted Amex offers (earn additional X points/get a $X statement credit when spending $Y at Hilton/Marriott/etc. hotels) since the prepaid part will be processed by Amex?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I take it that we can't combine the 5x prepaid FHR booking with any targeted Amex offers (earn additional X points/get a $X statement credit when spending $Y at Hilton/Marriott/etc. hotels) since the prepaid part will be processed by Amex?
Correct. The merchant of record on your statement will be Amex Travel, so it won't trigger brand-specific Amex Offers. If you want the charge to come specifically from the hotel and you're willing to forgo the 5x MR, you may be able to call Platinum Travel Services and have them make the reservation directly with the property.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any more data points on Bonvoy elite recognition with prepaid 5x bookings? There's just the one report from W Taipei above. I don't want to book at 5x if it's not a qualifying rate for benefits and points.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Not sure this is much of a data point, but I recently booked FHR reservations in Tokyo and Kyoto and got the 5x deal. That was nice.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Any more data points on Bonvoy elite recognition with prepaid 5x bookings? There's just the one report from W Taipei above. I don't want to book at 5x if it's not a qualifying rate for benefits and points.
benis: yes .... points/nights: No
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
benis: yes .... points/nights: No
Thanks, I'm doing some bookings and I really appreciate the DP. FHR is a bust for me at Marriott then since I'm about to hit Titanium.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Thanks, I'm doing some bookings and I really appreciate the DP. FHR is a bust for me at Marriott then since I'm about to hit Titanium.
You can still book the post paid rates. Just can't double dip 5x and Marriott points. If you use the Marriott Amex card, you still get 6 Marriott points plus FHR benefits, plus all Marriott benefits.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
You can still book the post paid rates. Just can't double dip 5x and Marriott points. If you use the Marriott Amex card, you still get 6 Marriott points plus FHR benefits, plus all Marriott benefits.
The thing is that I get all the FHR benefits as an elite, and the $100 amenity from the RC card at RC and STR which tend to be most of the Marriott offerings on FHR. Plus with the 10% cash back ebates has been doing once or twice a month, which is really 10x AMEX MR if you link to AMEX. Just seems not worth it to do FHR in my case. Would definitely do it if I ever lose status though. Or perhaps if I just needed a one night stay and wanted the $100 amenity. And of course, tons of amazing independent properties on FHR or smaller chains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.