5X points for airfare -how/when do they post?

Old Feb 22, 18, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, HH Gold
5X points for airfare -how/when do they post?

Hey, new with Amex Platinum. Bought airfare a week or so ago. I assumed 4X points would post right away and then the 1X points for the purchase would post after billing cycle closes. Similar to many Amex offers with double points. So, how does this work? If the points don't post right away will it be easy to identify down the road that this airfare purchase got 5X points?
Old Feb 22, 18, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
AMEX points post to your account basically two statements after the charge is incurred. i.e., if you charge a ticket on on Jan. 1, and your statement closes on the 15th of the month, the points will post after your Feb. 15 statement close.
Diplomatico and 808traveler like this.
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler View Post
If the points don't post right away will it be easy to identify down the road that this airfare purchase got 5X points?
And when I look on the Amex MR site, it has a 5X next to my airline tickets.
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:46 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
5X points earned on purchases directly from the airline post in bulk when the following month's statement closes.

Example:
>You spend $1,000 on airfare on JAN 5, 201x on your NON-business AX Platinum card.
>There are no other transaction on the card for the statement cycle.
>January's statement cuts on JAN 25, 201x
>On or about JAN 26, 201x you'll see 5,000 points PENDING
>You pay the January 201x statement on or before the due date
>February's statement cuts on FEB 25, 201x
>On or about FEB 26, 201x you will see your MR balance increased by 5,000 as the points are no longer pending.

For the Business Platinum card, you'll generally see the 5X on airfare booked through the AX TRAVEL PORTAL post ~30 days after the transaction posts to your account.

Example:
>Book $1,000 airfare on JAN 05, 201x through the AX travel portal.
>There are no other transaction on the card for the statement cycle.
>January's statement cuts on JAN 25, 201x
>On or about JAN 26, 201x you'll see 1,000 points PENDING
>You pay the January 201x statement on or before the due date
>On or about FEB 05 you'll see a 4,000 "TLS" bonus posted to your MR account, this represents the 4x bonus (1 base point + 4 bonus points = 5 points earned per $). You will see see 1,000 points PENDING as they related to the base charge of the $1,000 ticket purchase.
>February's statement cuts on FEB 25, 201x
>On or about FEB 26, 201x you will see your MR balance increased by 1,000 as the base points are no longer pending. This 1,000 deposit plus the 4,000 "TLS" bonus equates to the 5X MR (so 5,000 total) offer for travel booked with the Business Platinum card via the AX travel portal.
808traveler and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, HH Gold
Thanks J.Edward, very helpful. I just assumed 5X points for airfare would post like double points offers for other merchants. For example, with Uber, 1 point/dollar (the "bonus" points) post right away while 1 point/dollar (the "regular" points) post after the billing cycle closes and is paid. But I guess airfare is different.
Old Feb 24, 18, 3:30 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler View Post
... like double points offers for other merchants. ...
The 4 points per dollar bonus on airfare is a permanent feature of the card, and the posting cycle is linked to the base points. Same behavior on the Everyday card which awards one bonus point per dollar at supermarkets.

Bonus offers from named merchants, such as Uber, are paid for by the merchant, and post off-cycle.
Old Feb 24, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
I just booked 2 tickets R/T with OZ directly in Feb, right before the statement closing date, Feb 21.
I see pending points as an accumulation of:
- The base points
- The 4x points

All for Feb 2018. I am assuming I will see them in Mar 21.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: