Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading UK Amex Gold to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Geoggy
Recently had the same experience where live chat sent me a link to upgrade my Gold credit card to Platinum for 20k bonus. Completed form, heard nothing, asked again on live chat, was told to call. Did so - agent says that offer is not applicable for credit card only gold charge card.

Somewhat irritating.
Mine went through in the end since I did have the PRG card which is a charge card. If you applied for the new Gold Credit Card then it's part of a different set of cards and has no upgrade or downgrade paths.
If you want to have a gold charge card specifically you would need to get a platinum or green card and downgrade or upgrade respectively. The PRG card is still available just not via a direct application, only via upgrade and downgrades.
There are pros to having the GCC, you have section 75 and have the option to pay it off over time allbeit a high interest rate.
Geoggy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by edot8
Mine went through in the end since I did have the PRG card which is a charge card. If you applied for the new Gold Credit Card then it's part of a different set of cards and has no upgrade or downgrade paths.
If you want to have a gold charge card specifically you would need to get a platinum or green card and downgrade or upgrade respectively. The PRG card is still available just not via a direct application, only via upgrade and downgrades.
There are pros to having the GCC, you have section 75 and have the option to pay it off over time allbeit a high interest rate.
That's fair enough - live chat should not have created the expectation.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Sounds like you got a bad agent. It's definitely possible to upgrade a UK Gold card to a Platinum.

The link is here:
and right now they are offering 20,000 MR bonus points when you spend Ł1,000 on your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership

I queried why this offer isn't showing up on my account after going through this link to upgrade. Live chat told me that you have to be invited and so he couldn't guarantee I would get the 20k MR. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by fireanwater1
I queried why this offer isn't showing up on my account after going through this link to upgrade. Live chat told me that you have to be invited and so he couldn't guarantee I would get the 20k MR. Anyone have similar experiences?
I wasn't invited but I spoke with live chat asking if there were any offers to upgrading from gold to plat. I was giving a link to a page on the amex site that offered the 20,000MR points for Ł1000 spend within 3 months. I noticed the link to the page had no data formatted in it so I assume anyone who applied via the link on the page would get the upgrade bonus.
Maybe you can try again with another representative?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by edot8
I wasn't invited but I spoke with live chat asking if there were any offers to upgrading from gold to plat. I was giving a link to a page on the amex site that offered the 20,000MR points for Ł1000 spend within 3 months. I noticed the link to the page had no data formatted in it so I assume anyone who applied via the link on the page would get the upgrade bonus.
Maybe you can try again with another representative?

Going to put the Ł1k spend through and see what happens. I complained about a similar issue before and the rep told me I wouldn't get the points. They turned up a few days later.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:28 am

An update: the 20k MR points have safely arrived in my account.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:22 pm

How many days did it take after the Ł1k spend for the 20k MR points to land in your account?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by munch2001
How many days did it take after the Ł1k spend for the 20k MR points to land in your account?
I didn't track it exactly but it can't have been more that 5 days after.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
Gold Amex now credit card, not charge card

Is there any update on how Amex are handling these upgrades, given the only Gold Amex available now is a credit card, while the Plat remains a charge card? TIA
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cloud-nine
Is there any update on how Amex are handling these upgrades, given the only Gold Amex available now is a credit card, while the Plat remains a charge card? TIA
When I last asked about gold credit card to plat charge card. I was advised that I couldn't upgrade from a hold credit card to a platinum charge card. Instead I would need to open another card. However if you get a platinum charge card and then opt to downgrade, you'll have the gold charge card as an option to downgrade to.

This was a few months back when I last asked about it.
You could also just message them on the online chat or give them a call to clarify.

Hope it helps
​​
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
V helpful, thanks. Amex chat is so hit and miss as to whether they’re right, but have now validated this with them.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:34 am

Davebirdi

I upgraded from my Amex Gold Charge card to the Platinum Charge Card via a link on the website saying upgrade to Platinum and receive 20,000 bonus points. This was last August. They are refusing to credit the bonus points saying I did not upgrade using a personalized link which is sent to you, but they have no record of sending me that link. I definitely upgraded using a link saying upgrade bonus of 20000 points would be given. I even took the screen shot of the page with the link and sent it to them.. They are still refusing to credit the Bonus points. Any advice? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by davebirdi
.... a link on the website ... did not upgrade using a personalized link which is sent to you, but they have no record of sending me that link.....
It appears you used an offer that appeared on americanexpress.co.uk, while they are referring to an offer sent by email. Were your logged into your account when you first saw the link -or- did you "find" a link somewhere else?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:53 am

The offer was on americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade. I was not logged into my amex account. I had phoned them and the rep said he could upgrade me over the phone and I told him that I would rather upgrade via the link to make sure I would get the bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.