Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Worth accessing Centurion lounges after United Polaris rollout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

This question is probably largely only relevant to people like me who fly United internationally quite a bit.

One of the biggest reasons for me holding the Platinum card is the Amex lounges.

Was looking at the Polaris Lounge roll-out and a lot of these cities overlap with Centurion clubs now. SFO, IAH, EWR Polaris Tracker - Desktop Also additional cities too like LAX

Anyone else who flies United a lot thinking of dropping the Platinum card down the road since the Polaris Lounges appear to rival Amex clubs to a large degree
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
This question is probably largely only relevant to people like me who fly United internationally quite a bit.

One of the biggest reasons for me holding the Platinum card is the Amex lounges.

Was looking at the Polaris Lounge roll-out and a lot of these cities overlap with Centurion clubs now. SFO, IAH, EWR Polaris Tracker - Desktop Also additional cities too like LAX

Anyone else who flies United a lot thinking of dropping the Platinum card down the road since the Polaris Lounges appear to rival Amex clubs to a large degree
No.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:00 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I certainly hope that others do, or at least stop using the SFO Centurion lounge. It's too crowded as it is.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Why would you want to be somewhere that does not have a United Rep who can bail you out of trouble when the excrement hits the fan or a IROP occurs?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Why would you want to be somewhere that does not have a United Rep who can bail you out of trouble when the excrement hits the fan or a IROP occurs?
That being the case then I would go to the UA lounge. Otherwise, until UA improves their product it's Centurion lounge for me.
ptownca and KDS777 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:34 pm

You go to UA lounges so you can get rerouted quickly when you have IROP or cancelled flight. Centurion Lounge can not give you that service and the phone lines get tied up quickly even with 1K and Global
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:19 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
No because I use centurion lounges for the most part on domestic trips, so wouldn't be able to access polaris lounges on those trips.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Polaris lounges (well, the one that exists now) have incrementally worse food (did not try the wine/booze, but expect Centurion to be the winner here), and are incrementally less crowded. As you know, the access rules are different for Polaris and Centurion. I don't see Polaris as a reason to drop Centurion (although crowding might be).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Well, going to a Polaris Lounge means having to subject oneself to flying on UA. Something I avoid like the black plague.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Polaris lounges (well, the one that exists now) have incrementally worse food (did not try the wine/booze, but expect Centurion to be the winner here), and are incrementally less crowded. As you know, the access rules are different for Polaris and Centurion. I don't see Polaris as a reason to drop Centurion (although crowding might be).
Did you try the food off the menu at the Polaris lounge? I didn’t eat anything the one time I was there but walked by the dining area where other people were eating and the food looked pretty good.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I did not try food off the menu. I didn't have a whole lot of time (and was boarding in T2, so had even less), and all the tables had "Reserved" signs on them anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
all the tables had "Reserved" signs on them anyway.
Just ask to be seated.

My two cents: The buffet items are on a par with the CL and the menu items are better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.