Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton free night from opening Hilton AMEX Surpass/Ascend card in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton free night from opening Hilton AMEX Surpass/Ascend card in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by jacisme
I received the free night certificate email and my fee has posted on the statement, but it doesn't have to be paid until July 4. Can I cancel the card (and ask for the annual fee refund) without affecting the validity of the already-issued certificate?
Did you ever find out the answer?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Finkface
Yeah, I figured there was something wrong which is why I asked him to document it so I wouldn’t have to go into it all again when I chat back next week. He gave me a chat id number so hopefully he made notes. I suspect this is not going to end well and I guess I have to decide how much time and effort I am willing to put into this. Will see if I can find the other thread.
The saga continues. No email on June 30 so I chatted again with Amex today. Supposedly, once Amex advises Hilton that the annual fee has been paid (he says that happened in April), it is then up to Hilton to email the cert. Hilton, of course, says that it is on Amex and I must talk to them. The Amex rep says I definitely should have gotten it long before now and he will open a ticket to see what happened.

He says to check back in 10 days for an update but it may take 4-6 weeks. I said this is really unacceptable as it has already been 8 weeks, 2 phone calls and 2 chats, and 4 months is far too long to expect me to wait considering I want to use the cert. Predictably, that got me nowhere so I again wait the slow passage of time only for Amex to tell me yet again in 10 days that they are working in it and check back in x more weeks. <sigh>
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by rebelx
Looks like that thread doesn't load anymore (at least for me).
Huh, doesn't work for me either. The link should work *shrug*.
Here's the full title "The Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express (formerly called Surpass)"...I think the link below is now correct.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...d-surpass.html
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
Huh, doesn't work for me either. The link should work *shrug*.
Here's the full title "The Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express (formerly called Surpass)"...I think the link below is now correct.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...d-surpass.html
Thank you!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I got my certificate via email. I was a former Surpass member last year before they changed the cards. I was able to use the certificate at a stay for an overnight F EK award in Dubai at the Conrad. So these certificates are pretty cool in that they seem to be valid even at the most luxurious brands. After this year I will probably cancel the card as there is no more use for it.

I would like to look into getting that other $450 annual fee card with Hilton where you get diamond and other perks. The only thing the Ascend card offers now is the gold status, and I already get that through my Amex plat card. So the ascend card seems pretty worthless to me now.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
My one year anniversary on this card was on May 1, 2018 and I never received the anniversary certificate which many of you reported having received even after your Surpass was converted to the Ascend card. Does anybody have access to the terms and conditions please?

Clarification please--I upgraded to a Surpass card from the regular card. Does that make a difference to my eligibility for the free weekend night?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by janehoya
My one year anniversary on this card was on May 1, 2018 and I never received the anniversary certificate which many of you reported having received even after your Surpass was converted to the Ascend card. Does anybody have access to the terms and conditions please?

Clarification please--I upgraded to a Surpass card from the regular card. Does that make a difference to my eligibility for the free weekend night?
Did the upgrade offer come with a free night at anniversary? I don't remember that being the case at any time. The anniversary night was specifically a sign-up bonus for applying during the certain period and was not provided to everyone who had the card.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Willbur
Did the upgrade offer come with a free night at anniversary? I don't remember that being the case at any time. The anniversary night was specifically a sign-up bonus for applying during the certain period and was not provided to everyone who had the card.
Thanks very much for your response. CSR at American Express was very kind and helpful. This is what she said as well. Truthfully it's been so long that I can't recall the terms, but knowing that someone here agrees with her makes me feel better and more confident that the information she is giving me is sound.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:00 pm

Weekend cert email just received on Surpass->Ascend card. It's been ~375 days since I opened it, AF hasn't even posted yet, I assume it will on my next statement on the ~25th. Noice. Aspire upgrade bonus disappeared from my offers, but will attempt to call in and see if anything is still available, and then attempt to get the $250 hilton credit before statement close to double dip. Should be interesting.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jeffersun
Weekend cert email just received on Surpass->Ascend card. It's been ~375 days since I opened it, AF hasn't even posted yet, I assume it will on my next statement on the ~25th. Noice. Aspire upgrade bonus disappeared from my offers, but will attempt to call in and see if anything is still available, and then attempt to get the $250 hilton credit before statement close to double dip. Should be interesting.
Kinda like you, I got my weekend cert. posted on my Surpass/Ascent card (like a week or two ago), then I JUST got an offer to upgrade from Ascend to Aspire (which I took). I'm assuming I'll get ANOTHER weekend cert. from opening the Aspire...

Will be interesting to see if everything goes through properly. I hadn't paid my Ascend annual fee yet (like you), and now I am upgraded to Aspire and I'm expecting (per AMEX) a pro-rated annual fee within 45 days... I'll post what happens and I'm curious if anyone else here has any similar data points on this kind of situation?

By the way, the Gold --> Plat status upgrade to take effect in the system took around 48 hours.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:54 pm
sgd

Cancel AMEX Ascend and still keep free 1st year anniversary weekend night?

Originally Posted by jacisme
I received the free night certificate email and my fee has posted on the statement, but it doesn't have to be paid until July 4. Can I cancel the card (and ask for the annual fee refund) without affecting the validity of the already-issued certificate?
I'm in the same situation. Opened AMEX Hilton Surpass (now Ascend) a year ago. Per sign up offer I now have email with 1st year anniversary free weekend night and I also see it posted to my HH account. I'll keep the card/ pay annual fee if it's needed to hold on to the free night but if not I'll cancel. I see nothing in t&c of original offer or free night certificate that says I need to keep the card/ pay the 2nd annual fee. Would be interested to hear your experience, or that of others, for extra reassurance.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sgd
I'm in the same situation. Opened AMEX Hilton Surpass (now Ascend) a year ago. Per sign up offer I now have email with 1st year anniversary free weekend night and I also see it posted to my HH account. I'll keep the card/ pay annual fee if it's needed to hold on to the free night but if not I'll cancel. I see nothing in t&c of original offer or free night certificate that says I need to keep the card/ pay the 2nd annual fee. Would be interested to hear your experience, or that of others, for extra reassurance.
It's not required. I canceled to avoid the fee, used my cert later, and have gotten an Amex card since without being blocked.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:12 pm
sgd

Originally Posted by Willbur
It's not required. I canceled to avoid the fee, used my cert later, and have gotten an Amex card since without being blocked.
Cool. Thank you!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:37 pm

"Surpass" AF just posted. $75. Was absolutely expecting $95. I don't know what to expect anymore. The prospect of a free night for $75 every year seemed worth it when I signed up. This year's free night should be it tho, right? And then next year $75 or $95? I have no precedent for amex card changes.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

My $75 renewal fee also just posted. I chatted with Hilton and they gave me the free night certificate number that has posted. I want to cancel this card and get my $75 back since I since opened an Aspire. Have been looking for datapoints as to whether they will claw back the certificate if I cancel the card. sgd, did you do this a while ago, to know for sure they won't claw it back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.