AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review

Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I am not defending American Express. I am explaining how it works, based on my direct personal experience with this process, as well as what I have learned from reading posts in this forum.

For clarification, I believe Gasolin asked why American Express considers a return to be an abuse of their rewards system. That's not the same as asking whether American Express's reaction is abusive.
mia,would you kindly share your personal experience with this process as to how long it took for you to eventually get the sign up bonus and on which card?

We may be in the same situation as we now have a return on my husband's DL card that is a "threshold" charge. From this thread it seems now any refund would trigger a crawl back, not necessarily the "threshold" charge.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

And a points adjustment just posted in my account yesterday crediting me 60K.

I hope it sticks this time around so I can put this to rest.
mia, beckoa, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
And a points adjustment just posted in my account yesterday crediting me 60K.

I hope it sticks this time around so I can put this to rest.
Congratulations! This is clearly AMEX's fault. Their reward revoke algorithm is defective.
golfingboy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I had a similar situation on an Amex business card. I crossed the spend threshold almost immediately, but made a refund of one of the charges. The sign up bonus points posted, then were removed, and I received an email from Amex warning me that gaming the points system was grounds for suspension of my account. I was a little offended by the email. After the next charge posted and I was above the spend threshold, the points automatically posted again.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by supergabe
I had a similar situation on an Amex business card. I crossed the spend threshold almost immediately, but made a refund of one of the charges. The sign up bonus points posted, then were removed, and I received an email from Amex warning me that gaming the points system was grounds for suspension of my account. I was a little offended by the email. After the next charge posted and I was above the spend threshold, the points automatically posted again.
​​​This is really interesting. I just bought a 150k mailer, 100k/50k for $10k/$10k. I was able to put a $9k flight on there almost immediately, plus some other spending, so the 100k bonus posted pretty quickly. Naturally my trip was canceled and now I have to refund the flight, which I assumed was going to be a massive PITA. Your DP suggests that I might have some luck MSing a big WM charge of about the same amount to post about the same time the refund clears and hope the points go away and come back nicely. A manual review would be a big problem but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

I'm not quite sure where to put this info but it's useful.

I had the Bus Plat card in January and used up my Airline Credits. I downgraded in February to the Bus Green card. In late February they offered me an upgrade back to the Bus Plat. It's the promo that they've had before (spend $10,000 in five months get 50,000 points.) Actually, it's not that great but I thought I'd take it. Well, since I've used my airline credits back in January and even though this is a new card (but same account number (that is the key)) they will not give me an additional $200 in airline credits even though the promo says we'll receive $200 in airline credits. I spoke with someone and they spoke to two supervisors and they said the same thing. I call BS and reneging.

If there is a better place for this data point let me know.

Best,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.