AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review

Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kutzsche
If they don't give me the bonus as outlined in the offer, I will pursue this in small claims court. Besides, I will never give them any of my business again, they are a fraud.
I'd suggest filing a CFPB complaint before going the small claims court route.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
My two cent takeaway is that if you plan to hit spending target to get signup bonus from AMEX, always make sure you wouldnt have any return event before using the card to purchase, at least it will save you a lot of hassles dealing with them. Seems AMEX really hates return when it comes to signup bonus spending calculation.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:57 pm

If they don't give me the bonus as outlined in the offer, I will pursue this in small claims court. Besides, I will never give them any of my business again, they are a fraud.
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:23 am

Hmmm.... I was just surprisingly awarded my 60,000 points... According to my records, I believe I only spent about $4,500.00 ($500.00 short).

I think my spending does go over the $5,000.00 threshold if you count the $550.00 annual fee. However, my understanding is that the annual fee does not count towards purchases.

The $4,500.00 that I am counting includes "zeroing" out my TSA charge and my airline gift card charges (all of which were credited to me, which is why I zeroed out when trying to compute my spend). Maybe, based on the OP's discussion with the Amex CSR, they don't immediately remove credits and it's part of their review process.

I have two Platinum cards, so as soon as I saw the 60,000 MR posting, I switched to my wife's Platinum card so I can help her get to the minimum spend. I assumed that once my 60,000 points posted, that they were there to stay... Now I am a little concerned... Maybe I need to go ahead and spend another $500 or so to get my spending up past the $5,000.00 threshold (again, according to my records).
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:01 am
    mia
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
    Annual fee does not count. Reimbursed spending does count.
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
    Annual fee does not count. Reimbursed spending does count.
    Wait...really? So if I charged $200 for my 2017 Airline Benefit, and another $200 for my Airline Benefit... And I got $400.00 in credits, the $400 still counts towards my minimum spend? Wow...that doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take it!
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
    Originally Posted by MikeekiM
    Wait...really? So if I charged $200 for my 2017 Airline Benefit, and another $200 for my Airline Benefit... And I got $400.00 in credits, the $400 still counts towards my minimum spend? Wow...that doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take it!
    The computers at AMEX will count reimbursed expenses, but if a human reviews your account, they may remove the bonus if it was met with reimbursed purchases. If I were you, I'd definitely spend another $500 before your deadline.
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:50 pm

Yeah... If possible, I'd like that $500.00 to go towards my wife's minimum spend... So I'll probably "take a chance" and start to load up purchases on her card so that I can get to the minimum spend...and then, if there is time left (and I am pretty confident there will be plenty of time left), I will secure my card with an extra $500+ in purchases as insurance...
    Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:28 pm
    Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
    Original Poster

Hmmm.... I was just surprisingly awarded my 60,000 points... According to my records, I believe I only spent about $4,500.00 ($500.00 short).
    Not sure about others but in my case the points were revoked within 24 hours (next business day). Might be a possibility your account will go through a review process and AMEX will decide to revoke the 60,000 bonus. Be sure to keep a close eye if you chose to take the risk of not putting in the additional $500 so that you can ensure you get the minimum spend.

Regarding airline credit reimbursement I think this one is YMMV as the two agents I spoke with over the phone did quote them as one of the few reimbursements that supposedly - and incorrectly - pushed me below $5K. The big one for me was a DL reimbursement after I cancelled a trip within the 24 hours window. DL is a little weird, rather than not collecting the charge like AA does they actually collect the fare and reimburse.
    Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
    Yeah... If possible, I'd like that $500.00 to go towards my wife's minimum spend... So I'll probably "take a chance" and start to load up purchases on her card so that I can get to the minimum spend...and then, if there is time left (and I am pretty confident there will be plenty of time left), I will secure my card with an extra $500+ in purchases as insurance...
    if you need to generate a little extra spend you can always prepay utilities/cell phone/internet.
    IndyHoosier likes this.
    Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:49 pm

My saga continues. I am now at 6000 spent vs the 1000 spending requirement and no bonus. I spoke to them 6 times now and 2 different supervisors. They just don't care, they always give me the excuse that oh, there was a $200 return amongst your 6k spent and per our policy that triggers an automatic revokation of the bonus points. I asked them to point me to the rules in the fine print that would highlight this, it of course doesn't exist. They told me a week ago that they opened a review and that someone would call me within 3-5 business days. Nobody called me and after 8 days/6 business days so I called them again to inquire. The first response was " that's business days, not days,". When I explained that indeed it has been beyond 5 business days, suddenly the story changed and they told me that in fact it takes 12 days and I will receive a letter. At that point I asked to speak to the supervisor. It was hopeless, he said I need to wait for a letter to arrive. He then told me also that I would have to wait 10 weeks after hitting my spending requirement for points to post. I told him the rules say 6-8 weeks, where does your 10 week come from? He then said, someone must have misinformed me, it's actually 10 weeks. At that point I almost lost it. I told him, excuse me, I always make a copy of the offer details when I apply and I have it right in front of me and it says 6-8 weeks.

Honestly, I am lost at how they operate. It feels like your are dealing with a fraudulent company. The stories and excuses given have changed so many times, this can't be a mistake anymore.

Then at the end the supervisor says, well the good news is, I still have 3 weeks left to "meet the requirements". I ask him, what do you mean, I met the requirements 2 months ago already! And his answer is, well, the other department decides that, not him. The department you can never speak to, that doesn't call you back and will mail me a letter at some point. The letter will probably say. Sorry, you abused your account because you returned 2 pairs of shoes at Nordstrom!
    Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
    My saga continues. I am now at 6000 spent vs the 1000 spending requirement and no bonus. I spoke to them 6 times now and 2 different supervisors.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, a CFPB complaint is often effective in situations like this. Quicker than waiting for AMEX to move on their own, that's for sure.
    Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:18 am

My saga continues. I am now at 6000 spent vs the 1000 spending requirement and no bonus. I spoke to them 6 times now and 2 different supervisors. They just don't care, they always give me the excuse that oh, there was a $200 return amongst your 6k spent and per our policy that triggers an automatic revokation of the bonus points. I asked them to point me to the rules in the fine print that would highlight this, it of course doesn't exist. They told me a week ago that they opened a review and that someone would call me within 3-5 business days. Nobody called me and after 8 days/6 business days so I called them again to inquire. The first response was " that's business days, not days,". When I explained that indeed it has been beyond 5 business days, suddenly the story changed and they told me that in fact it takes 12 days and I will receive a letter. At that point I asked to speak to the supervisor. It was hopeless, he said I need to wait for a letter to arrive. He then told me also that I would have to wait 10 weeks after hitting my spending requirement for points to post. I told him the rules say 6-8 weeks, where does your 10 week come from? He then said, someone must have misinformed me, it's actually 10 weeks. At that point I almost lost it. I told him, excuse me, I always make a copy of the offer details when I apply and I have it right in front of me and it says 6-8 weeks.

Honestly, I am lost at how they operate. It feels like your are dealing with a fraudulent company. The stories and excuses given have changed so many times, this can't be a mistake anymore.

Then at the end the supervisor says, well the good news is, I still have 3 weeks left to "meet the requirements". I ask him, what do you mean, I met the requirements 2 months ago already! And his answer is, well, the other department decides that, not him. The department you can never speak to, that doesn't call you back and will mail me a letter at some point. The letter will probably say. Sorry, you abused your account because you returned 2 pairs of shoes at Nordstrom!

There're some apps that could record phone calls. Ask to speak to a supervisor until the supervisor can actually resolve the problem at the spot. If not working, file a CFPB claim and maybe consider going to the small claim Court.

I have long been saying Amex is overrated, but I'm still happy to take free points from them whenever I can. Unlike Chase, Citi or other major banks, its profits and model are almost entirely based on the credit card business, that's why their goal is all about maximizing the credit card profits. Amex may appear exceedingly friendly to some of its customers but that's because those customers can generate a lot of profits for them. For average customers, Amex couldn't care less about those people's experience or loyalty.

Last edited by walkingingotham; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:15 pm
    Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
    So there is this one thing I don't understand in this whole thread... say you spend $5000 and somehow you "refunded" an order and got an amount back for $1000. Why is that a problem for AMEX and considered an abuse? It's no different than spending $5000 and paying $1000 before closing the date, no? Why is that considered abuse by AMEX?
    Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:27 am
    mia
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
    Originally Posted by Gasolin
    ...Why is that considered abuse by AMEX?
    It isn't, but it triggers a manual review of the account.
    Steve M likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.