Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free weekend night for Aspire Hilton credit card not honored?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free weekend night for Aspire Hilton credit card not honored?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I also upgraded in March (March 14) and received the email from Amex about the free night cert yesterday and the email from Hilton with the actual cert this morning. Prorated annual fee was billed May 10.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Data point: I was approved for the Aspire on/about March 15. Two days ago, I received the Amex free night email. This morning, I received the Hilton free night email with the code and associated instructions. So, just over two months from approved application to free night arrival.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Thanks for the detailed data point, out of curiosity when was the pro rated annual fee billed?
We have not been billed the AF yet. Probably soon I guess.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
So what I am seeing here is that there is no pattern for the pro-rated $450. The cert looks like about 8 weeks. I upgraded April 1st so I'm guessing the cert will come in the next few weeks.

Any one else with updates/data points?
Old May 24, 2019, 6:45 pm

I upgraded on 3/30 so it looks like we are in the dp lottery together
Old May 26, 2019, 2:24 am

I don't have Aspire but planning to get one...I am also planning to use AMEX MR to book 6 nights and then use free weekend night as 7th day ..is that possible? Basically combine 2 reservations ? one on amextravel.com and other using free night?
Old May 26, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by san888
So what I am seeing here is that there is no pattern for the pro-rated $450.
That's because AF timing has nothing to do with the cert timing on an upgrade.

On an upgrade, the AF timing is related to the month you originally got the first card that this upgrade came from (possible through other upgrades along the way). Ie, if you first got this card as a no-AF card back on March of 200x, and you upgraded to Aspire in May of this year, you may not get the (barely if at all prorated) AF until March of 2020, while you'll get your cert in summer of 2019. OTOH, if you first got this card as a no-AF card back on May of 200x, you upgrade to Aspire in March of this year, you may get the prorated AF before you get the cert.

So there is a pattern to the pro-rated $450, it's just that it's a pattern related to when you first applied for the card you have, which may have been many years ago and you may no longer remember what month of the year it was. It's just that most people aren't mentioning (and may not even know) when exactly they first opened the card that they recently upgrade to Aspire. (And your credit report can't even tell you if your original HH card was opened before Amex stopped backdating card opening dates circa early 2015.)
san888 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I don't have Aspire but planning to get one...I am also planning to use AMEX MR to book 6 nights and then use free weekend night as 7th day ..is that possible? Basically combine 2 reservations ? one on amextravel.com and other using free night?
I've done this before, but they had to make 2 separate reservations, plus they would not guarantee that the free night would be a continuation of the first 6 nights. In other words, they said after the 6th night, you may need to change rooms. This did NOT happen, but they warned me it was possible. You should be fine.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
My wife just received her free night cert this morning. She upgraded to the Aspire at the beginning of March.
I am still waiting for mine. I upgraded about 10 days later. Hopefully, I will get mine next week.
Update: I received my cert today (upgraded in mid March). Still no prorated AF yet.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:43 pm

Thanks for the follow up, could you please tell me when you received your email from amex telling you the cert is on the way?
Old May 28, 2019, 3:00 pm

I got mine a few months ago, and it says "To make a Reward reservation before the expiration date of 05-Mar-2020, call 1-800-4HONORS"

My question is...do I have to complete my stay by March 5th, or just make a reservation? What if I call on March 1st and make a reservation for the following December...allowed?
Old May 29, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Thanks for the follow up, could you please tell me when you received your email from amex telling you the cert is on the way?
Less than 24hrs before the cert email for both of us.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I got mine a few months ago, and it says "To make a Reward reservation before the expiration date of 05-Mar-2020, call 1-800-4HONORS"

My question is...do I have to complete my stay by March 5th, or just make a reservation? What if I call on March 1st and make a reservation for the following December...allowed?
Stay has to be completed by the expiry date.
san888 and cheaptom like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:54 am

Update #2 : My wife and I just received another free night cert each. I think we got lucky. I assume these are the anniversary certs. I am not sure how Amex sets the anniversary date for a card, but I thought we upgraded a few days after the old card's approval date.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:25 am

Upgraded late March and received 2 emails on 6/1 thinking it had to be a mistake in being sent twice. On 6/2 I received 2 emails minutes apart with different certificate numbers. Is this a glitch as my acct was opened 3rd week of March?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.