Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Premium could be Amex's big winner"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
"Premium could be Amex's big winner"

According to Business Insider (Premium could be Amex's big winner - Business Insider), Amex Platinum hit a new high for number of cardholders in Q4 2017, and "record spending among them".

Also interesting is the note that "Chase plans to cut about $200 million in costs from its premium card unit because of excessive costs". I don't have the CSR so I don't know what they might cut - I could see (and sort of hope as a Priority Pass member) that they start limiting the number of guests, but that's just a thought.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
According to Business Insider (Premium could be Amex's big winner - Business Insider), Amex Platinum hit a new high for number of cardholders in Q4 2017, and "record spending among them".

Also interesting is the note that "Chase plans to cut about $200 million in costs from its premium card unit because of excessive costs". I don't have the CSR so I don't know what they might cut - I could see (and sort of hope as a Priority Pass member) that they start limiting the number of guests, but that's just a thought.
I could see the $300 travel credit becoming harder to redeem (e.g. reducing the number of merchant categories that will trigger it), though I don't know how many actually use all of it every year.

As for AmEx, I'd still like for Platinum to have some day to day bonus categories. As is, the 5x on travel booked through airlines/AmEx Travel doesn't really encourage use of the card beyond plane tickets and hotel reservations. However, I suppose picking up some other MR-earning cards along with Plat might be acceptable to some.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
I could see the $300 travel credit becoming harder to redeem (e.g. reducing the number of merchant categories that will trigger it), though I don't know how many actually use all of it every year.

As for AmEx, I'd still like for Platinum to have some day to day bonus categories. As is, the 5x on travel booked through airlines/AmEx Travel doesn't really encourage use of the card beyond plane tickets and hotel reservations. However, I suppose picking up some other MR-earning cards along with Plat might be acceptable to some.
With regard to the travel credit, I really wonder how many people will keep their CSR cards after year 1. I can see them limiting free Priority Pass guests, because that seems like low hanging fruit. Personally I plan on downgrading mine shortly now that I've maxed the 2018 travel credit. I too would love a reason to carry and use my Amex Platinum, but it really only goes into my wallet when I travel for lounge access.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Allow me to quote myself from AMEX Platinum vs Chase Sapphire Reserve

Allow me to make it even more simple.

CSR is all about rewards. It is not a card that can get you a taste of luxury.

AMEX is all about benefits. It is a card that can get you a taste of luxury.
This pretty much explains how and why Chase lost it a big time.

FWIW - No one give a thing when you use CSR. But occasionally, someone may give a thing when you use AMEX Platinum.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:12 pm

My investment theology these days is to buy "wealth inequality" i.e. companies that serve either the poor or the rich, but not the middle, are going to outperform over the next decade or two (sadly). Not surprised credit card companies are targeted the super rich.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:29 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103

I guess my hope for a targeted offer of 100K MR sign-up bonus will never happen!

LAX
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw

I wish Amex Plat would get rid of that obnoxious Uber credit scheme and instead for $550/yr or even like $600/yr, make groceries 5X (up to $10K or so), gas 3X, other travel 3X, dining 2.5X, daily 1.5X, then they could make the earnings on this card so rich that it becomes THE card in your wallet. This way, I can get rid of my Amex Everyday Preferred card (and still pay a good amount of annual fees), and get the great earn and benefits of using Amex Plat. If this card were that generous for even a slightly higher annual fee, it would quickly clear out a lot of the other cards in my wallet and become my Go to card. Right now, i use amex plat for just air travel, CSR for other travel/dining, amex everyday preferred for groceries and gas, chase freedom for the bonus categories, and a few other cards for other misc purchases.
bigbuy, longtimeflyin and ptownca like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I wish Amex Plat would... make groceries 5X (up to $10K or so), gas 3X, other travel 3X, dining 2.5X, daily 1.5X, then they could make the earnings on this card so rich that it becomes THE card in your wallet.
Did you see the quote at the top of the thread? Amex Platinum hit a new high for number of cardholders in Q4 2017, and "record spending among them". Moving daily spend to 1.5x would increase their cost by 50%. Why would they do that when they're already at a record high for cardholders and spend? I think they're already smarter than you think.
Yoshi212, Statman and Gasolin like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
... new high....
Doing better than you have done before does not necessarily mean that there isn't room for further improvement.

Note that 1.25 points per dollar for general spending is already available on the Ameriprise version of Platinum:

Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards® points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - No one give a thing when you use CSR. But occasionally, someone may give a thing when you use AMEX Platinum.
None of the airline websites has ever given a thing when I entered my Plat number

I hear people sometimes give a thing when people pay with their metal CSR. I have one in the safe, but prefer to use the original plastic one, because I got tired hearing comments about it when I had the metal CSP.

I give a thing about the extra points I earn when paying with my CSR for 3X categories.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
None of the airline websites has ever given a thing when I entered my Plat number
Because you don't know how to get attention from the airlines?

(You do know that there is an International Airline Program from AMEX...)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve M
Did you see the quote at the top of the thread? Amex Platinum hit a new high for number of cardholders in Q4 2017, and "record spending among them". Moving daily spend to 1.5x would increase their cost by 50%. Why would they do that when they're already at a record high for cardholders and spend? I think they're already smarter than you think.
And I'd venture to guess many if not most Platinum card holders that don't hang out on FT just use the card regardless of the return on spending. One of the guys that's part of my weekly happy hour group always uses his Plat. He could be earning 3x on a CSR but he doesn't seem to have one or care. He probably doesn't know about or max the travel credit either. And he's probably a better representation of your average plat cardholder than anybody in this thread.

Those of us that care about maximizing spend to this degree are a vast minority of cardholders.
bigbuy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Maybe I'm unusual, but I love the Uber credits and always make use of them every month! (most of the time, through Uber Eats!!!)

However, I would appreciate less crowding in the Centurion Lounges, so it might be nice if they did even more to limit guesting.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Maybe I'm unusual, but I love the Uber credits and always make use of them every month! (most of the time, through Uber Eats!!!)

However, I would appreciate less crowding in the Centurion Lounges, so it might be nice if they did even more to limit guesting.
i use uber a few times a year and yes, I can use uber eats and I do since I have the credits, but this is positively a scenario where if I didn’t have the credits, I would not use Uber eats at all.

I’d trade the uber eats credits for some more generous day to day spend bonuses, then I can clear out my wallet and just use one card.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
And I'd venture to guess many if not most Platinum card holders that don't hang out on FT just use the card regardless of the return on spending. One of the guys that's part of my weekly happy hour group always uses his Plat. He could be earning 3x on a CSR but he doesn't seem to have one or care. He probably doesn't know about or max the travel credit either. And he's probably a better representation of your average plat cardholder than anybody in this thread.

Those of us that care about maximizing spend to this degree are a vast minority of cardholders.
i suppose a lot of people view credit cards as a major hassle and try to avoid dealing with it completely. Truth is, once you manage 4-5 cards, managing 10-20 isn’t much of a stretch. I’ve got 6 cards with Amex and it’s just as easy managing all 6 as it is managing 1-2. One fingerprint login and I see everything.

Diplomatico likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.