Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 19, 22, 8:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 22, 6:04 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Just curious but why would you do this if you are originating in NYC? I can't see switching terminals and doing security 2x except as a transit passenger with a few hours to kill. Nor is it worth getting to the airport early (unless the traffic was better than expected).
I mostly fly from EWR/PHL, just want to check the JFK centurion lounge. It's a hassle to switch terminals.
Old Jun 5, 22, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
I mostly fly from EWR/PHL, just want to check the JFK centurion lounge. It's a hassle to switch terminals.
I get it - I can rarely access the SFO lounge (IME is always a long waitlist) but you're paying a high AF for the card and the lounge is a key benefit. But trust me it's not worth the hassle of getting to JFK early. Of course if you flight gets delayed...

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I live in NYC and do this all the time. To each his own. I love visiting the CL before a flight. I love the 1850 Speakeasy and the Equinox Body Lab.
Touche. As a visitor there are about 1000 more interesting restaurants/bars/speakeasies that I would want to visit before heading back to the Centurion lounge but it sounds like "free" is probably your key criterion. I like this Centurion, but if I was hungry I would probably use my PP card at Bobby Van's
Old Jun 5, 22, 6:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I get it - I can rarely access the SFO lounge (IME is always a long waitlist) but you're paying a high AF for the card and the lounge is a key benefit. But trust me it's not worth the hassle of getting to JFK early. Of course if you flight gets delayed...

Touche. As a visitor there are about 1000 more interesting restaurants/bars/speakeasies that I would want to visit before heading back to the Centurion lounge but it sounds like "free" is probably your key criterion. I like this Centurion, but if I was hungry I would probably use my PP card at Bobby Van's
There are, but I live here and I'm already at the airport. You are a visitor while NYC nightlife/entertainment/dining is my everyday life. It's not like I'm choosing the CL as a birthday dinner or date night location lol. If it's just an extra 10 min out of my way, so why wouldn't I have a nice complimentary 30 min massage at the Equinox Body Lab and indulge in espresso martinis/sparkling rose before a flight? And I really enjoy the service at the CL. Bartenders and Equinox techs have always been top notch for me. The CL lounge isn't about the food for me. Nothing to write home about in that department.

I don't even like the Bobby Van's at JFK. The East 54th street location is so much better. I'm not impressed with the BV JFK location in regards to customer service and food quality at all, so I bypass that on general principle. So "free" definitely isn't my key criterion.

But as I said to each his own... That's why it's all about choice and why we have individuality. What I like may not be what others like and vice-versa. That is A-ok. As long as I see the benefits and it makes sense for my needs/wants, life is great lol
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:37 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
Just curious but why would you do this if you are originating in NYC? I can't see switching terminals and doing security 2x except as a transit passenger with a few hours to kill. Nor is it worth getting to the airport early (unless the traffic was better than expected).
I live near NYC and also do it quite frequently. I rarely eat breakfast or lunch at home prior to a JFK flight, I allow plenty of time to drive or Lyft to JFK (unpredictable traffic, unpredictable AirTrain schedule if parking) and if I get to JFK with enough time (more often than not) Ill stop by the CL even when flying from a different terminal. CL lounge food is on par with anything else available in the terminals which is invariable outrageously overpriced. And I like their mints .

Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
I have a 12pm AA flight out of Terminal 8. If I leave Amex lounge 10:30AM, do I have enough time to board the AA flight.
I also have Clear and PreCheck, I like to be at the gate area 45 minutes prior to departure (10-15 minutes prior to boarding). 90 minutes prior to flight time is the absolute minimum I would allow.

The walk to the AirTrain (AT) from CL is medium in length, AT schedule is unpredictable, could be 1 minute, could be 12 minutes, the AT ride from T4 to T8 is 3 stops, the walk from AT to T8 security is lengthy and most gates at T8 require down and up escalators and walking under the ramp area. Unless youre an Olympic sprinter, going from CL to a gate at T8 will take at least 20 minutes, more like 30-35. Fortunately, even without Clear, the PreCheck lines at T8 are usually relatively short.
Old Jun 6, 22, 9:49 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Am I the only one that finds the relative lack of "snack"/finger food at the JFK CL (and most others) to be odd? According to the speakeasy bartenders, even the homemade potato chips are now discontinued.

On my last visit to T4, the variety of food options at the DL club was much more appealing. I find it odd that AX is so focused on mains/sides/soups. A consistent offering of cheese/charcuterie/crudite (which DL had) would seem to be a no-brainer.

If I'm going to make a side trip to from now on at T4, it's to visit the VS Clubhouse....and FWIW neither the T4 Palm nor T8 Bobby Vans should be compared to their namesakes in the city.
Old Jun 7, 22, 4:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Am I the only one that finds the relative lack of "snack"/finger food at the JFK CL (and most others) to be odd? According to the speakeasy bartenders, even the homemade potato chips are now discontinued.

On my last visit to T4, the variety of food options at the DL club was much more appealing. I find it odd that AX is so focused on mains/sides/soups. A consistent offering of cheese/charcuterie/crudite (which DL had) would seem to be a no-brainer.

If I'm going to make a side trip to from now on at T4, it's to visit the VS Clubhouse....and FWIW neither the T4 Palm nor T8 Bobby Vans should be compared to their namesakes in the city.

I was definitely unimpressed with the JFK CL food choices in my last few visits. That's exactly why I said it's nothing to write home about. On my last two visits, I was flying Delta, so I went to the Skyclub. I thought food choices and quality were so much better at the Skyclub vs the CL. I wasn't expecting that.

I never went into the Virgin Clubhouse. I'll check that out in two weeks when I fly with Delta
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I was definitely unimpressed with the JFK CL food choices in my last few visits. That's exactly why I said it's nothing to write home about. On my last two visits, I was flying Delta, so I went to the Skyclub. I thought food choices and quality were so much better at the Skyclub vs the CL. I wasn't expecting that.

I never went into the Virgin Clubhouse. I'll check that out in two weeks when I fly with Delta
I have been to all three clubs in recent weeks

1) Centurion Lounges have basically always focused on a protein (usually chicken thighs), various sides (starch, veggie), soup, desert. I think the Vegas and LGA original clubs had snacks, but its a meal focused club. I think the food is generally pretty good, but if you want finger foods, then DL is better as you note. I think the best meal the JFK lounge does relative to others is actually breakfast - quality eggs, sometimes avocado toast, meat, etc. I will choose breakfast at this club, especially if it is late enough to also get a mimosa..

2) I have been impressed with DL's food quality recently. They have the same soup / main / starch setup as Amex (they had salmon both times recently, and the salmon was good), plus all of the more snack stuff you mentioned. The issue is that JFK SkyClub is always mobbed, I find Centurion Lounge more relaxing.

3) I found the Virgin Lounge a bit slow in terms of getting food and drink to me. I guess Virgin lounges generally rely on a QR code ordering system - there aren't buffets, and people tend to order drinks from the menu instead of approaching the bar. For my use I think I wasted about 24-30 minutes waiting for stuff at Virgin JFK. It was a bit better at Virgin LHR, but still an issue IMO. Quality of food and drink was pretty good, but not mindblowing relative to Centurion or SkyClub. Also keep in mind it is by far the least convenient location for Delta metal.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah for drinks at the clubhouse I think its better to go to the bar vs. order by QR code. I didnt have an issue with food service time on my recent visit (early evening so lounge was moderately busy). More variety than CL but I dont think the quality is significantly better (I think quality is lower than when VS was running the lounge). A nice alternative, worth checking out once but probably not worth the extra trek on a regular basis.
bgriff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 5:52 pm

How have wait times been for centurion? Im sure going to miss how it was last summer when JFK was practically empty, there was almost no one in the CL or sky club and we traveled in almost wide-open Delta one thanks to our Italian passports (Americans couldnt enter Italy).
Old Jul 28, 22, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SudOvest View Post
How have wait times been for centurion? Im sure going to miss how it was last summer when JFK was practically empty, there was almost no one in the CL or sky club and we traveled in almost wide-open Delta one thanks to our Italian passports (Americans couldnt enter Italy).
I've never had to wait but yes it's been far more crowded in the past 12 months.
Old Jul 29, 22, 8:16 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
By contrast, there was a line outside the T4 Sky Club when I was there on a recent Sunday evening around 7pm -- it ran along the moving sidewalk bank outside the SC entrance and from the entrance to at least the end of that moving sidewalk, and sometimes a bit beyond. Lots of people were angry and giving the agents guarding the entrance a hard time, which seemed counterproductive, but it's Noo Yawk, etc etc. The line did move pretty quickly and I was able to get in within 10-15 minutes, but if I'd known there would be a line I certainly would have stopped at the CL after security and (I assume, not sure) not had to wait ... I had mainly wanted to pre-load my walk to B45 and it didn't even occur to me that I might not be able to get into the SC, though I knew it would be busy. (The Delta agents manning the line were also suggesting people could go to the CL instead.)

It's an interesting strategy because once I did get upstairs at the SC, it was busy but a good deal less crowded than I've seen that lounge at its worst -- there were definitely seats available, not a ton but probably enough that they could have gone ahead and admitted at least half of the line, though it would have been very full if they had. So I assume there may not have been any max capacity policy prior to COVID since I think they've definitely let that lounge get more crowded before. It's an interesting debate whether it is better customer service to make people wait or to risk the lounge being especially packed. But hopefully once the several new lounges in the works for JFK open, it will become less of an issue...
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:28 am

Is food stopped at 8pm, and Lab closes at 7pm still? Have an 11pm BA flight, so probably best to skip Centurion and perhaps try VS Clubhouse (through Venture X).
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin View Post
Is food stopped at 8pm, and Lab closes at 7pm still? Have an 11pm BA flight, so probably best to skip Centurion and perhaps try VS Clubhouse (through Venture X).
You should also be able to use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse with your Amex Platinum card. Of course, whether you get in or not depends on the capacity at the lounge with either card you use.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
1.5 layover next week (RDU - JFK - SFO). Assuming on-time and no delays, worth walking over vs just going to the SC?

How long of a walk is it from the Shake Shack at B20 area?
Old Aug 6, 22, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
1.5 layover next week (RDU - JFK - SFO). Assuming on-time and no delays, worth walking over vs just going to the SC?

How long of a walk is it from the Shake Shack at B20 area?
Not too far, relatively speaking for JFK -- if you imagine you are an originating passenger who has just cleared TSA at T4, you would turn left and stay on the same level to get to Centurion, instead of turning right and going down a level to get to the main concourse. From B20, it's slightly closer than the Sky Club is (but obv in the wrong direction from the DL gates, and having to go up a level)
Duke787 and IndyHoosier like this.

Search this Thread