Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:33 am

cat885 I hear you loud and clear, I just thought it was an interesting topic of discussion given that we always seem to be in the balance of wanting access to the lounge but also wanting to limit access to the lounge. There really isn't a perfect solution (except for maybe building a leviathan space) and it remains to be seen how the lounge holds up to full-strength travel. Perhaps this is naive of me, but I imagine that terminal-hoppers represent a pretty small portion of travelers.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Perhaps this is naive of me, but I imagine that terminal-hoppers represent a pretty small portion of travelers.
That's my sense for JFK. Those on AA will stick with the Flagship and AS/BA with their lounges in T8 (? - been so long, I'm forgetting my JFK terminal #s). Generally, terminal hopping from the international terminal (T1) isn't something I'd think most will endure.

Personally, I think this location is excellent. All things being equal, Amex generally places their CLs in the terminal housing an airport's dominant and/or partner carriers. In this case, DL is certainly as dominant as any carrier at JFK, and it only makes sense the CL would be in T4. Now, what will be interesting is if we'll have a crowding issue when traffic returns to normal, and a percentage of DL flyers opt to pass the time in the CL rather than their respective Skyclubs.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jm0933
I was there yesterday and the lunch menu has in fact changed again from your post on the 25th. Now they have a barbecue pork thing, butter bean gratin, and roasted vegetables. The pork was OK, the vegetables were pretty bland and the butter bean gratin was actually disgusting - tasted like bad tap water. Hopefully just an off day.
This was the menu again today. I didn't try the mains but there was also a decent Waldorf salad and a tasty pumpkin cheesecake.

Despite being a weekday in shoulder season with international travel still way down across the board, the lounge was pretty busy -- not full, but around 50% of seating areas taken. Speakeasy was packed. This lounge is definitely going to be unpleasantly crowded by next summer.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:33 am

bgriff unfortunately I think that the "lounge within a lounge" mystique is always going to drive crowding in the speakeasy. Again, when I was there a few weeks back, the bartender right outside the speakeasy door looked bored out of her mind but there were only one or two open tables in the speakeasy. I will say that the layout of this lounge itself will probably do something to dull the appearance of crowding. Whereas the Delta Sky Club has a massive open seating area, which can look like a cafeteria at peak crowds, this CL is all corridors and tucked away tables. I didn't really notice many of the other guests until I started poking around. Maybe that's a bit optimistic of me but I think the point here is that this CL hasn't really faced its stress test yet... so remains to be seen how the experience is.

Now that the dust is beginning to settle I am going to have to figure out where JFK, LGA, and BDL sit in terms of comfort/convenience for me with their lounges.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was there yesterday. Really recommend the espresso martini. Very tasty and love how they spell out 1850 on the top of it with espresso powder.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Food spread from Monday 10/11:

Slow-roasted pork thing — tasted fine and probably a welcome change from the endless chicken rotations:

Mashed potatoes — impossible to mess up and they were fine:

Butter bean gratin thing — contrary to previous reports this was also decent:

Icky vegetables:

Waldorf salad:

Looking back at all the menus I've tried in the lounge to date this is my very unscientific ranking from best to worst:
1 Chicken milanese and gnocchi (March 2021)
2 Mushroom burger and steak (October 2020 - February 2021 - inaugural menu and what's still on the website)
3 Roast chicken and orecchiette pasta (September 2021)
4 Roast pork and mashed potatoes/bean gratin (October 2021 - TBD?)
5 Roast chicken and rigatoni (July 2021)
6 Grilled chicken and chickpea stew (April - May 2021)

Also one menu which I didn't get to try — beef brisket, ricotta gnocchi, bean gratin (June 2021)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Very happy with a particular bartender, Jay. Dude makes some great drinks. Every other lounge has competent (give or take) bartenders, most friendly, but none are creative and prefer to just run through the motions.

Doesn't hurt that he's great remembering his patron's names.
cmd320 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Very happy with a particular bartender, Jay. Dude makes some great drinks. Every other lounge has competent (give or take) bartenders, most friendly, but none are creative and prefer to just run through the motions.

Is he the bartender in the speakeasy? There's a bartender that works there Monday afternoons that is amazing
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:58 pm

I too would be impressed by anyone who could remember "dsquared37" from visit to visit!
dsquared37 and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Is he the bartender in the speakeasy? There's a bartender that works there Monday afternoons that is amazing
Originally Posted by pmblinn
I too would be impressed by anyone who could remember "dsquared37" from visit to visit!
I first had him pour drinks on Oct when they first opened. I was one of 2 or 3 people downstairs and we talked the entire time I was there. The next time was upstairs in May, This time, in the Speakeasy on Wednesday, I ordered a drink and he said, 'You're dsquared'. There were several other 'regulars' for whom he was concocting odd and interesting drinks.

If you've had an amazing bartender here I'm willing to wager it's Jay. There's no one in the system I've encountered who's close to the competency this guy is.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I first had him pour drinks on Oct when they first opened. I was one of 2 or 3 people downstairs and we talked the entire time I was there. The next time was upstairs in May, This time, in the Speakeasy on Wednesday, I ordered a drink and he said, 'You're dsquared'. There were several other 'regulars' for whom he was concocting odd and interesting drinks.

If you've had an amazing bartender here I'm willing to wager it's Jay. There's no one in the system I've encountered who's close to the competency this guy is.
It probably was him. I rarely go to the speakeasy and last trip did because I was told the espresso martini was amazing. He was making suggestions to people and I was just going to wait at the bar for my drink and he told me to jjust sit down and he would walk it over. Never had a lounge bartender do that before.
dsquared37 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by truncated
Looking back at all the menus I've tried in the lounge to date this is my very unscientific ranking from best to worst:
1 Chicken milanese and gnocchi (March 2021)
2 Mushroom burger and steak (October 2020 - February 2021 - inaugural menu and what's still on the website)
3 Roast chicken and orecchiette pasta (September 2021)
4 Roast pork and mashed potatoes/bean gratin (October 2021 - TBD?)
5 Roast chicken and rigatoni (July 2021)
6 Grilled chicken and chickpea stew (April - May 2021)

Also one menu which I didn't get to try — beef brisket, ricotta gnocchi, bean gratin (June 2021)
+1 on seeing something OTHER than chicken.. lol
cmd320 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:10 am

Just want to report that the Centurion Lounge at JFK is open and the breakfast was actually pretty good!
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I really wish this lounge were closer to the gates
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I really wish this lounge were closer to the gates
As I'm typically flying out of T8, I'm quite pleased it isn't.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.