Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mia
I think the information you are looking for is in the Membership Rewards Terms (see attached).
Thank you - I did not see the MR Terms linked on their card info page, and found it suspicious they are not mentioning hotels anywhere under benefits.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I’m probably going to buy a new car this year and want to pay at least 10-20K with an Amex to earn some serious bonus. I wonder if any Honda or Toyota dealership in GTA will let me do it...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I’m probably going to buy a new car this year and want to pay at least 10-20K with an Amex to earn some serious bonus. I wonder if any Honda or Toyota dealership in GTA will let me do it...
Can't speak for Toyota or Honda, but Volvo of Toronto only allowed me to put $5000 on my Amex. (Although I was then able to also charge the extended warantee to my Amex a few days after the purchase)
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:45 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Now that the Canadian government has issued a level 3 (avoid all non-essential travel) advisory has anyone had any experience dealing with Amex Plat cancellation insurance? I am pretty sure it is covered but wonder if the phone times are horrendous. I have some time to make a decision (couple of weeks but I do not see the situation changing much by then)

I just saw this clause in the certificate of insurance

When a cause of cancellation occurs (the event or series of events that triggers one of the 22 risks) before your departure date, you must:
a. cancel your trip with the travel agent, airline, tour company, carrier or travelauthority etc. immediately, but no later than the business day following the cause of cancellation, and
b. advise the Insurer at the same time.
I am unclear if, according to this, I need to cancel everything by this Monday (even far out trips in June and July) this Monday since the advisory was issued Friday. Will call and update.

EDIT: Can't even be put on hold, call drops

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Mar 14, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old May 6, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Changes coming to Business Platinum referral?

I just noticed that my business platinum page now says: You could earn a referral bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards® points for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by May 12, 2020. Any idea what changes are coming? I'm guessing they are reducing the referral bonus.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Has anyone here issued trip cancellation/interruption claims w.r.t. COVID-19 with Amex? I have travel booked on my Gold card where companies are just offering vouchers, not refunds - obv. not satisfactory. Does someone have the exact terms of the claim policy?

E.g. a) Cancellation, but no refund offered
b) not cancelled, but travel ban to said country
c) not cancelled, but travel advisory in place

?
Old May 28, 2020, 9:42 pm

Quiet thread despite AMEX Canada making many changes

- Wave 1 of closing cards for churn'ers (me )
- Platinum cards - Double Rewards/Double Credit
- Killed Plat/Biz Plat WB and referral offers
- Giving out Biz Plat credits
- Wave 2 of closing more cards
Old May 28, 2020, 9:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Quiet thread despite AMEX Canada making many changes

- Platinum cards - Double Rewards/Double Credit
- Giving out Biz Plat credits
Discussion here: Amex CANADA COVID-19 temporary bonuses
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Did not see that, thanks

Either way, FYI, many people I know (online) have been shutdown by AMEX
Wave 1 - me and many in late April
Wave 2 - many others in late May to this week still

so, transfer out your points ASAP if you're in risky group - churn'er, don't spend after meeting MSR, MS, blah blah
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Bonvoy cards churnable?

Last held the Personal SPG version and cancelled in Oct 2018.
Then held the Biz Bonvoy until May 2019 when I cancelled it.

Worth re-applying for the personal to see if I get the points? Or have they clamped down pretty hard on these?
Is this still true? Despite what it says in the T&Cs, Ive been alternating between the Gold and SPG/Bonvoy cards every other year getting a bonus every time. Is it finally dead?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by msp3
Is this still true? Despite what it says in the T&Cs, Ive been alternating between the Gold and SPG/Bonvoy cards every other year getting a bonus every time. Is it finally dead?
I definitely didn't get a signup bonus when I signed up for the bonvoy card for the first time ~2 years after I had the SPG card. closed SPG in 2017, applied for Bonvoy in 2019, didn't get the signup bonus.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I definitely didn't get a signup bonus when I signed up for the bonvoy card for the first time ~2 years after I had the SPG card. closed SPG in 2017, applied for Bonvoy in 2019, didn't get the signup bonus.
I've gotten 2 SPG personal sign up bonuses previously, and in late 2019 the Bonvoy personal sign up bonus. Alternating in-between, Gold personal sign up bonuses
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The referral sign-up bonus on the business platinum card has increased back to 75,000 MR after a $7000 spend.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by Low Roller; Sep 25, 2020 at 7:54 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Did not see that, thanks

Either way, FYI, many people I know (online) have been shutdown by AMEX
Wave 1 - me and many in late April
Wave 2 - many others in late May to this week still

so, transfer out your points ASAP if you're in risky group - churn'er, don't spend after meeting MSR, MS, blah blah
Is it worth continuing to play games with Amex if
Originally Posted by msp3
I've gotten 2 SPG personal sign up bonuses previously, and in late 2019 the Bonvoy personal sign up bonus. Alternating in-between, Gold personal sign up bonuses
?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:06 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I just got a "we can't give you a decision right now" on a 45k offer for Amex Green, using Chrome Incognito browser.

I had previously tried for this card in September and got the pop up. Since then I deleted one Everyday Amex and now have one Everyday and one Blue Cash.

But I've locked my credit info. with all 3 agencies. Credit score well over 800 though.

Has anyone called in to find out which agency and then have them pull while waiting? Other companies, specifically Chase, does this.

Also I don't see any recon numbers listed in the Wiki? What number could I call? Or does Amex not like being called during the application process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.