Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:23 pm

referral points annual limit

Hi,
I recently learned that there's an annual cap for the points one can earn from referrals. (for example, the business platinum card's referral point cap is 225,000 points per year)
Does anyone know if the referral point annual cap is based on a calendar year or card anniversary year?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Calendar year. This is from the referral program terms "You can only receive a maximum referral bonus of 225,000 Membership Rewards points per calendar year for approved referrals. "
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's almost too new to report back anything

I have Personal, applied Biz via GCR ($60 cashback), got the card, put $1500 on it, waiting for WB to show up

I then referred my friend, have to wait for statement to see Referral bonus

I'll report back after the statement
Any news on your referral bonus? I am eager to apply again if I can get the bonus (and spouse can get the referral bonus)!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Wondering if any AMEX Platinum card holders have had problems getting into or access to the PP Lounge at Terminal 1 (International departures).

Earlier this year I had access to the AC Signature lounge which is right next door to the PP lounges and noticed a sign saying that access was restricted or limited at the PP lounge. Just really glanced at the sign but assumed it mean credit card holders were not being allowed in..only paying guests.

If that's a regular occurrence it negates part of my reason for getting a Platinum card this year. I don't want to fork over $500 to $700 to find out I won't have lounge access in Toronto when I want it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
No problem getting into PP lounge at T1 international or trans-border in the last 2 months using AMEX sponsored PP membership card.
unclepants likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
​​Is the sign up bonus on the referral offer for the personal Bonvoy card better in any way than the public offer?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
​​Is the sign up bonus on the referral offer for the personal Bonvoy card better in any way than the public offer?
I just checked my referral page and you get 51K instead of 50K but you have to spend $3,000 instead of $1500 to get it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:14 am

Does the business platinum card still offer 25K for referring someone else or has that been reduced to 15K like the personal platinum?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is the sign up bonus on the referral offer for the personal Bonvoy card better in any way than the public offer?
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I just checked my referral page and you get 51K instead of 50K but you have to spend $3,000 instead of $1500 to get it.
Preacher, for your team’s first Bonvoy card it’s better to signup thru GCR for an eye-popping glossy $10 cashback, and 50K with lower $1500 spend. Thereafter you’ll want to punish your teammates with a referred signup for 51K and $3000 spend, but then you also get now the 10K for referring.

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Does the business platinum card still offer 25K for referring someone else or has that been reduced to 15K like the personal platinum?
They did reduce it to 15K for a few months but now it’s back up to 25K for referring from a Biz Plat to another Biz Plat or to a Biz Gold. You cannot refer from a Biz Plat to the Personal Plat nor Personal Gold anymore.
jerry305 and Low Roller like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:48 am

Anyone else noticed that ALL referrals are gone from Amex Canada?

Hoping this is just an IT issue...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What's up ? Looks like this thread is dying.

Is it because Amex tightened the rules or people are less eager to share because Amex is watching or more popularity leads to more devaluations ?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
What's up ? Looks like this thread is dying.

Is it because Amex tightened the rules or people are less eager to share because Amex is watching or more popularity leads to more devaluations ?
Losing the Priority Pass restaurant benefit without prior warning didn't help morale, either.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
What’s the current rules for getting welcome bonus on the Amex Aerogold card with $120 annual fee?

I had the platinum version about two years ago
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
What’s the current rules for getting welcome bonus on the Amex Aerogold card with $120 annual fee?

I had the platinum version about two years ago
should be no problem
but AFAIK, AMEX Aerogold * series is never a good card to own nor churn :P vs. Platinum/Biz Platinum
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Quick (simple) question;

Marriott Bonvoy points - you do NOT need to hold an open Amex Bonvoy card to hold your points?

ie) I can cancel my remaining AMEX Bonvoy card and will not lose my points?

Just wanted to double check before closing the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.