Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone received their free night cert for the SPG Amex yet? There have already been 2 sweeps for the US SPG Amex card, one on Oct 2 and one today, Nov 2. I'd be interested in any data points anyone has. My annual fee just posted on Oct 24, so I'm guessing it might be a while yet.
My data point is CANADIAN SPG Personal
Mid-Sep 2018 renewal
Oct 15 free night in
Free night in on Oct 15 AX CA 1 Free Night up to 35,000 points
unclepants and jerry305 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jerryhung
My data point is CANADIAN SPG Personal
Mid-Sep 2018 renewal
Oct 15 free night in
Free night in on Oct 15 AX CA 1 Free Night up to 35,000 points
Thanks for that info. Did you get an email from Amex, or did you just happen to notice the free night in your account?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thanks for that info. Did you get an email from Amex, or did you just happen to notice the free night in your account?
I just noticed, or checked in AwardWallet
Once you login, it shows under Overview also

Lucky at OMAAT covered this (for US SPG, free night quickly deposited) so I was monitoring my SPG (Canada) closely 1-2 months after my renewal fee
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:33 am

I haven't been referred for a card in a while...my wife is referring me from her Amex Personal Plat. I want to get the Amex biz Plat. The referral link offers up the Amex Personal Plat, which I expected to see. But the referral page doesn't have the "want a different card?" so that I can select the biz version.

Is this no longer possible? Or is there a workaround? She referred via Facebook.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I haven't been referred for a card in a while...my wife is referring me from her Amex Personal Plat. I want to get the Amex biz Plat. The referral link offers up the Amex Personal Plat, which I expected to see. But the referral page doesn't have the "want a different card?" so that I can select the biz version.

Is this no longer possible? Or is there a workaround? She referred via Facebook.
No, they changed it a few weeks ago. Only biz gold or biz platinum can refer to biz platinum. Personal plat can only refer to the same card.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:07 am

Shoot...thanks.

This Amex game getting tougher. I've got a biz gold. I could self-refer, but prefer not to do that. Feels prone for rejection (or no points).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:55 pm

Actually I'm not even sure if you can refer from the biz gold anymore. I just logged into my account and there is no referral information there anymore.

I'd recommend that you try the Canada Post link but the T&C say it's not available to anyone who has another small business card.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Actually I'm not even sure if you can refer from the biz gold anymore. I
Mine still has an "offer"

Refer Friends. Get Rewarded.
Youą could earn a referral bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards® points˛ for each approved referral.Your friend could earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points when they charge $5,000 in purchases to their Card in their first three months of Cardmembershipł.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Thanks. I checked my biz gold and the same referral offer is back up. It must have just been a temporary glitch when I checked it yesterday and there was nothing there.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:22 pm

Haven't read back, but anyone else notice the $200 annual travel credit is no longer per calendar year, but rather per membership year?

I just logged in and mine says it's valid until October 2019...

EDIT: just called, it is now based on anniversary date.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Haven't read back, but anyone else notice the $200 annual travel credit is no longer per calendar year, but rather per membership year?

I just logged in and mine says it's valid until October 2019...

EDIT: just called, it is now based on anniversary date.
Welcome to 2018, the year of bad AMEX changes
It's "old" news at this stage, but effectively killing churners and now Biz Plat may be more attractive
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My free night cert posted Nov 27!

Reset date is Sept 26.
Annual fee posted Oct 24.

No email from Amex yet. I noticed it in my account.
JJonahJ likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Noob questions... can someone clarify these free night certs and where one finds them after the 1st yr card anniversary?
Only w/ SPG Personal or Biz as well?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

They will appear in your Marriott rewards account under account overview. And yes, both biz and personal SPG cards qualify.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:40 am

I signed up AMEX Platinum personal, 60k points was posted immediately after crossed $5k spending. Later I legitimately returned one of the goods and saw the 60k was deducted from my MR account. I am pretty confident that I will cross $5k spending again.

The question is - will the computer automatically redeposit 60k to my account upon $5k spending again? Or I have to wait the "8-10 weeks" game? Just don't want to become neuroticism to chase the 60k in the next 3 month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.