Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by tylerc
Has anyone tried sending MR points to Marriott yet? It's live, but it shows my new SPG number, which is already not valid since I merged and kept my Marriott number...

If anyone has tried, have you received your points yet?
Transferred from Cobalt early yesterday (08/24), points posted this afternoon (08/25). I'm in the same boat as you: they sent the points via my new-and-already-replaced SPG number.

Good news during a choppy IT merger.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
My biz gold cycle seems to be at an end. I have a card that's 3-4 months old, apply for a new card using a 2nd biz name, get that card and cancel the first, wait 3-4 months and go around again. I got a letter stating I just recently got one so you ain't getting another.... Now that I'm thinking about it I can't remember how old the card I have is. Could be too young.

I did just get a Cobalt approved. Waiting a few more weeks to see if there are referrals for SPG coming.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Now that I'm thinking about it I can't remember how old the card I have is. Could be too young.
You can phone in & ask what your anniversary date is.

I'm in a similar situation. I wanna apply for an American Express®Business Gold Rewards Card through the Canada Post link.
https://smallbusiness.americanexpress.com/ca/en/cpc
​​
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The old SPG free night certs are converted to a new merged Marriott/SPG cert redeemable a night up to new Marriott/SPG 35000 points (ie 11666 SPG point). The weekend restriction was removed and the catagory restriction removed - but 11666 SPG points won't go far
he 35k new marriott, is better (IMHO) than the old cert, 1-4 SPG (up to 10k star points) w/e only. Disappointingly, the chase certs are all downgraded to 25k.. they'd be worth a lot more as 35k obviously.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

I'm in a similar situation. I wanna apply for an American Express®Business Gold Rewards Card through the Canada Post link.
​​
This is tempting...but I've held this card before...does that mean I may not get the sign-up bonus?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I wanna apply for an American Express®Business Gold Rewards Card through the Canada Post link.
​​
That is an interesting link. Both the biz gold and biz platinum seem to be really good offers. I may have to use that if it's still around when I do my next application in a few months.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:53 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Is that Canada Post offer dead, i keep on getting this when I try to use it.

Thank you for choosing American Express. We are sorry but we are unable to start the application process as the online application is currently unavailable. Please try again later.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
working fine this morning try both code

cheers
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Clear your cookies, or try in an incognito window.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:59 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Clear your cookies, or try in an incognito window.
Worked in Firefox, thanks for the help
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
If you get a card through the Canada Post link, can you still earn referral points on future referrals like you can on other cards. I assume you probably can since it is the same card regardless of where you got it, but I don't see any mention of it on the Canada Post application page. Anyone know?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Low Roller
If you get a card through the Canada Post link, can you still earn referral points on future referrals like you can on other cards. I assume you probably can since it is the same card regardless of where you got it, but I don't see any mention of it on the Canada Post application page. Anyone know?
From personal experience, yes I got the referral points on my Canada post business plat while referring to a personal plat
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:54 pm

What about getting the signup bonus more than once if churning?

Also is this bonus better than self referring from personal gold?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by entropy
he 35k new marriott, is better (IMHO) than the old cert, 1-4 SPG (up to 10k star points) w/e only. Disappointingly, the chase certs are all downgraded to 25k.. they'd be worth a lot more as 35k obviously.

I’m using my 25K certs in BKK. Large selection of excellent hotels for 25K pts.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios

​​
I'm an idiot, my 1st statement on my most recent card is only July Ooooops. I'll try again in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.