Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
This is the link to the new SPG AMEX card (in the merge program starting Aug 1, 2018)

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...red-guest.html

My first reaction is the new SPG card is a devaluation of the old card with a reduction on earning rates.

The second important thing to find out is what would be the "conversion rate" for Membership Rewards to the new SPG/Marriott. If they kill it off, we will run low on partners on the Canadian AMEX Membership Rewards program as Aeroplan is out in 2020... Left with Hilton and fixed rate travel redemption

Last edited by yeunganson; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:03 pm

For an annual fee of $120 to get an annual free night for a room up to 35K points. Is that not worth it alone to just keep in the drawer?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by sxc234
For an annual fee of $120 to get an annual free night for a room up to 35K points. Is that not worth it alone to just keep in the drawer?
IF the annual fee stays the same, it seems worthwhile to keep the card. If it increases to more than the price of a decent room, probably not
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by sxc234
Few things. The up to 35K points is the USA version of the SPG card. The 35K (merged program points) is about 11666 SPG points. We have no confirmation on the official site that "free night up to 35000 points" is in the cards for the Canadian version of the card. It is entirely possible the one night free is a junk "category 1" free night. They can also amaze us with any night at any hotel and we can use it on a Ritz Carlton or St Regis...

Currently, we get one SPG Cat 1 - 4 free weekend night upon reaching $CAD 40,000 spend per year. A Category 4 hotel is a lowend Sheraton or a popular 4-point costing 10,000 SPG points per night. If we believe the cert in the new SPG/Marriott program is similar to the free night of the old SPG program, a free night is at a four point/ low end Sheraton. Worth or not depends if you normally stay in such property.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Few things. The up to 35K points is the USA version of the SPG card. The 35K (merged program points) is about 11666 SPG points. We have no confirmation on the official site that "free night up to 35000 points" is in the cards for the Canadian version of the card. It is entirely possible the one night free is a junk "category 1" free night. They can also amaze us with any night at any hotel and we can use it on a Ritz Carlton or St Regis...

Currently, we get one SPG Cat 1 - 4 free weekend night upon reaching $CAD 40,000 spend per year. A Category 4 hotel is a lowend Sheraton or a popular 4-point costing 10,000 SPG points per night. If we believe the cert in the new SPG/Marriott program is similar to the free night of the old SPG program, a free night is at a four point/ low end Sheraton. Worth or not depends if you normally stay in such property.
actually we do - I just posted the email I received like two posts above yours. The Canadian night is also up to 35k.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:20 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Smiley90
actually we do - I just posted the email I received like two posts above yours. The Canadian night is also up to 35k.
I stand corrected

I do think it's 35000 points of the new merged program and not the current SPG points.

If it's 35000 of the current SPG points, it means I get a night at a Luxury collection or a St Regis! More likely, it is 35000 of the new merged program, So it will be a free night at a places like a Courtyard or a low-end Sheraton

You can see what hotels you can stay by checking out the newly released Free-night Award chart
https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I stand corrected

I do think it's 35000 points of the new merged program and not the current SPG points.

If it's 35000 of the current SPG points, it means I get a night at a Luxury collection or a St Regis! More likely, it is 35000 of the new merged program, So it will be a free night at a places like a Courtyard or a low-end Sheraton

You can see what hotels you can stay by checking out the newly released Free-night Award chart
https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
For 35k MR you also get a free night at one of 14 St. Regis! So it could always be worse. the no-spend requirement is certainly worth the annual fee.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:05 pm

Now that the Biz Gold isn't FYF, I'm wondering:

1. When does the annual fee post? Is there time to spend 5k (I can do that quickly), get the bonus points, and cancel before the annual fee posts?

2. Is the annual fee pro-rated? (I.e. If I pay the annual fee, get the points, and cancel the card, will they make a pro-rated refund for the annual fee?)

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Today is a landmark day. Amex Canada finally pulled the plug on the FYF, on the Business Gold MR card, and will no longer waive the first year's $250 annual fee.

Those endearing words we'd become so used to for so many years, are no longer there on the signup page: ".. the first year's on us! That's a value of $250*!"

RIP, FYF Biz Gold.

Updated the top-of-page WiKi. Wow, it is BARE. What happened to the info about the Personal and Business Plat MR cards? Someone pruned the info and totally wiped them off the slate.
well, it was a lucrative run, that’s for sure

guess it’s time to ride off into the sunset and simply enjoy all those free MRs they’ve been feeding us for years...
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
I would like to apply for a supplementary card (Plat). How often does AMEX give bonus points for adding a supplementary user for the Personal Plat? Saw some threads where there was a 5,000 bonus points when a supplementary card user is added.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Low Roller
IF the annual fee stays the same, it seems worthwhile to keep the card. If it increases to more than the price of a decent room, probably not
Perhaps it's best to cancel now and reapply when the new AMEX SPG/Marriott card is released, for a number of reasons:
  • Free night will probably be awarded immediately to new accounts but existing accounts get only at the anniversary/renewal date
  • Welcome/launch promo of the future card might exclude current or previous cardholders of the new SPG/Marriot AMEX card. So people who got migrated to the new SPG/Marriott card by continuing to hold the SPG card might be excluded from the promo.
jubberly and Eagle_traveler like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Perhaps it's best to cancel now and reapply when the new AMEX SPG/Marriott card is released, for a number of reasons:
  • Free night will probably be awarded immediately to new accounts but existing accounts get only at the anniversary/renewal date
  • Welcome/launch promo of the future card might exclude current or previous cardholders of the new SPG/Marriot AMEX card. So people who got migrated to the new SPG/Marriott card by continuing to hold the SPG card might be excluded from the promo.
Both good points. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I guess I should decide soon.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:33 pm

Are there any words out yet regarding what the new conversion rate is going to be for MR to Marriott come August, as Marriott is going to replace SPG at that point?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
....new conversion rate is going to be for MR to Marriott come August, as Marriott is going to replace SPG at that point?
Starwood Preferred Guest will still exist in August, but the account will earn "points" rather than "Starpoints", same as Marriott Rewards accounts. In the USA the new transfer rate (1000:1000) was published in July paper/PDF statements. I cannot say if American Express Canada also did this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:38 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The free night award is given on renewal - ie 2nd year and onwards. The first year, member gets the welcome bonus and not the free night. The whole purpose of the free-night-at-renewal trick is to reduce the churning. AMEX likely follow the AMEX Plat route, once you pay the annual fee, then you get the free-night credit - no refund of annual fee once you pocket the free-night credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.