Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
How long does it usually take after paying a balance for MR points to post? It's a Plat card, if that matters. My balance is showing paid, but no points have appeared after 24 hours, and I need to transfer those points to SPG soon.
If it's just a regular platinum card, points usually post as soon as purchases are made, not when the balance is paid. Are these bonus points or something that you are waiting for?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
If it's just a regular platinum card, points usually post as soon as purchases are made, not when the balance is paid. Are these bonus points or something that you are waiting for?
Alas, no bonus points. I've not been following my MR point accumulation all that closely, so I just checked in once in a while and saw that they corresponded to what I'd been paying. I now see some recent postings at the time of purchase, not payment.

I guess that means I don't have as many new points as I thought coming into the account after payment. But I can generate more points pronto through spending. Does this work the same way with the Cobalt card?

Last edited by transportprof; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:47 am

I don't have a Cobalt, so I can't say for sure, but I think it works the same for all MR cards.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I logged into my AMEX portal today. I clicked my AMEX SPG and saw this message:

"Refer Friends. Get Rewarded.

You could earn a $25 Statement Credit for each approved referral²."

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by loun80
I logged into my AMEX portal today. I clicked my AMEX SPG and saw this message:

"Refer Friends. Get Rewarded.

You could earn a $25 Statement Credit for each approved referral²."

Yeah, they reduced that from 5000 SPG points a couple of months ago.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:33 pm

How long is everyone wait now for personnel platinum bonus points posted? for those who don't get points posted after 12 weeks, did you call AMEX ask for cancel & full annual fee refund?

my business gold bonus posted 3 weeks after meet spending in April

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, we expected the same gloom-and-doom for Amex Canada, when Amex USA introduced the one-welcome notes on their Personal cards in early 2015. Soon after in July 2015 Amex Canada added similar wording in the footnotes to our Personal card products but unlike in the US, Amex Canada never fully enforced it to the same degree, not even close. So we've been able to continue to repeat churn these Personal card products for the most part, though there have been many reports that fellow Canadians were denied the welcome bonus, and mostly by people who made the mistake of calling Amex to ask why they hadn't received the points yet, instead of waiting patiently for a scheduled sweep to re-conciliate the missing points (shout out to @Preacher7 for notifying us with this tidbit, back then).

A few months later (still in 2015), Amex USA introduced similar wording into the Business card products' footnotes, and below the 49th they enforced them vigourously as well. Yet in Canada, we never saw those one-welcome notes on our Business card products (or correct me if I'm wrong, are they there now, finally?). Though occasionally, some people reported that Amex Canada informed them that they couldn't churn the Business cards, or that they couldn't have two concurrent Business card products and receive the welcome bonus again on the second card. Meanwhile, some of these people continued to get the bonus points anyways, after the next sweep, while a few did not (or so we assume, since they didn't come back to report with an update).

So, will a similar tool come to Canada? Let's hope not. And if it does, hopefully it's full of mis-diagnostics.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by ecgz88
How long is everyone wait now for personnel platinum bonus points posted? for those who don't get points posted after 12 weeks, did you call AMEX ask for cancel & full annual fee refund?

my business gold bonus posted 3 weeks after meet spending in April
I reapplied for the Platinum card and the points didn't post immediately after reaching the minimum spend. I'm now waiting and hoping it will post within 12 weeks.

I am afraid that AMEX started enforcing the no-repeat welcome bonus. If it doesn't post, I will attempt to cancel to get a pro-rated refund and will focus afterwards on self-referrals and Amex offers with FYF.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:01 pm

12 weeks seems really long, in the end even I get pro-rated refund will pay nearly $200 annual fee, I guess that's the gamble price, Better don't apply the $200 travel credit otherwise rep may not willing to give pro-rated annual fee refund

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

I reapplied for the Platinum card and the points didn't post immediately after reaching the minimum spend. I'm now waiting and hoping it will post within 12 weeks.

I am afraid that AMEX started enforcing the no-repeat welcome bonus. If it doesn't post, I will attempt to cancel to get a pro-rated refund and will focus afterwards on self-referrals and Amex offers with FYF.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:11 pm

I've read many reports of the welcome points not posting right away as it used to.For some it does,for others it's taking the full 12 weeks. I have not read of any reports of Amex Canada enforcing their terms....unless a call is made before 12 weeks.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:26 am

time to cancel SPG? (yes)

I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my SPG Amex this weekend. I have Cobalt which currently earns me more SPG points via MR transfer. A lot could change once the Marriott and SPG programs merge, and I heard rumors that there would be some bonus to transfer the SPG card to some new Marriott Amex card in Canada. But there doesn't seem to be any progress on that front. I don't want to pay another annual fee on the SPG card if I don't know what the new program will entail. I figure I can always sign up for a new Marriott Amex card if there is such an offering that emerges eventually.

Any advice would be welcomed.

UPDATE: I did the cancellation this morning. Who wants to pay $120 to renew into an unknown future program? If there is something better coming down the pipe, I'll consider it in the fullness of time.

Last edited by transportprof; Jun 25, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: *void
Amex Canada Business Gold no longer FYF

Today is a landmark day. Amex Canada finally pulled the plug on the FYF, on the Business Gold MR card, and will no longer waive the first year's $250 annual fee.

Those endearing words we'd become so used to for so many years, are no longer there on the signup page: ".. the first year's on us! That's a value of $250*!"

RIP, FYF Biz Gold.

Updated the top-of-page WiKi. Wow, it is BARE. What happened to the info about the Personal and Business Plat MR cards? Someone pruned the info and totally wiped them off the slate.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jun 26, 2018 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Well that sucks I'm glad I got it a few months ago when it was still FYF.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: *void
Biz Gold referral may be changing Aug 6, 2018

And a hint that there may be an upcoming change, the Biz Gold's referral notes are now indicating that there will be changes coming: "You¹ could earn a referral bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points² for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by August 6th, 2018."

As in the past, when Amex issued notes similar to this type of wording, it did result in seeing some changes. Egs. Biz Plat referral dropped from 25K to 15K, SPG referrals dropped from 10K to 5K and now cash based.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my SPG Amex this weekend. I have Cobalt which currently earns me more SPG points via MR transfer. A lot could change once the Marriott and SPG programs merge, and I heard rumors that there would be some bonus to transfer the SPG card to some new Marriott Amex card in Canada. But there doesn't seem to be any progress on that front. I don't want to pay another annual fee on the SPG card if I don't know what the new program will entail. I figure I can always sign up for a new Marriott Amex card if there is such an offering that emerges eventually.

Any advice would be welcomed.

UPDATE: I did the cancellation this morning. Who wants to pay $120 to renew into an unknown future program? If there is something better coming down the pipe, I'll consider it in the fullness of time.
I just got this in my e-mail this morning. Essentially a 33% earn devaluation, but the free weekend stay becomes a free annual stay.

"The upcoming combining of SPG®* and Marriott Rewards®* into one program will result in changes to your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Here are some of the changes coming August 2018.

In August you will earn points in the new Loyalty Program, they will no longer be considered Starpoints®*.

Your earn rate will change as per the below:

Current Earn Rate:• 1 Starpoint®* for every dollar charged to your Card.
New Earn Rate:• 5 points for every dollar in eligible purchases charged to your Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards properties.• 2 points for every dollar in purchases charged to your Card.
At the time of this program change, the number of points needed to redeem in the loyalty program will have corresponding changes as determined by SPG and Marriott Rewards.

The Free Weekend Night Award will be replaced with an Annual Free Night Award and will have no spend requirement. It will be redeemable any night of the week at eligible SPG and Marriott properties with a redemption value of up to 35,000 points and will be awarded automatically each year after your anniversary date.

As an SPG Cardmember you will receive an automatic complimentary upgrade to Silver Elite Status. This will entitle you to priority late checkout where available, 10% bonus points on stays, and more. To earn Silver Elite Status through the program you would normally need to stay at least 10 nights a year. On top of that, you will be eligible for complimentary Gold Elite Status after spending $30,000 in eligible purchases on the Card each year.

For more information about these changes, please visit our FAQ page on our website."
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I just got this in my e-mail this morning. Essentially a 33% earn devaluation, but the free weekend stay becomes a free annual stay.....
Thanks for this news. It doesn't sound like an improvement over the SPG card's terms. I'm glad that I cancelled.
Maybe there will be a new promotion to sign up for a new co-branded card in future. If so, I'll consider that option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.