Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I have a personal Plat, I need to sign up for a Business Gold with 40K sign-up bonus ASAP for redeeming an award (gotta find ways to spend 5K in a week...ideas?). Can't seem to generate the proper referral link to Biz Gold from Amex website, it only let me refer the card I already have? Anyone got the same problem?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I have a personal Plat, I need to sign up for a Business Gold with 40K sign-up bonus ASAP for redeeming an award (gotta find ways to spend 5K in a week...ideas?). Can't seem to generate the proper referral link to Biz Gold from Amex website, it only let me refer the card I already have? Anyone got the same problem?
All you need to do is go to your Personal Plat's referral landing page, which you can find at your Plat card's referral page.
  • Look for "Refer Now" and then "Get your referral link". The link looks something like this: amex.ca/share/holmes123.
  • Copy and paste that link to open it into a new browser page, then scroll to the bottom of this (your Plat's referral) signup page and here you'll find the other two higher-tiered Amex MR card icons.
  • There should be one for the Business Plat and another for the Business Gold.
  • Click on the Business Gold icon, and that is your Plat's referral to it.
  • Sign up from that page, after you click on the Biz Gold card icon, and your Personal Plat will earn 15K for successfully referring to yourself.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:10 am

Looks like the end of Amex churning is coming to an end,in the US and I expect inevitably in Canada.At least you'll know with a new welcome points application tool as to whether or not you;re going to et the welcome bonus before completing the application!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:11 am

Looks like the end of Amex churning is coming to an end,in the US and I expect inevitably in Canada.At least you'll know with a new welcome points application toolas to whether or not you;re going to get the welcome bonus before completing the application!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by jubberly
Looks like the end of Amex churning is coming to an end,in the US and I expect inevitably in Canada.At least you'll know with a new welcome points application toolas to whether or not you;re going to get the welcome bonus before completing the application!
Well, at least it would provide certainty about whether you are getting the bonus before you pay the annual fee and make the minimum spend.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: *void
Well, we expected the same gloom-and-doom for Amex Canada, when Amex USA introduced the one-welcome notes on their Personal cards in early 2015. Soon after in July 2015 Amex Canada added similar wording in the footnotes to our Personal card products but unlike in the US, Amex Canada never fully enforced it to the same degree, not even close. So we've been able to continue to repeat churn these Personal card products for the most part, though there have been many reports that fellow Canadians were denied the welcome bonus, and mostly by people who made the mistake of calling Amex to ask why they hadn't received the points yet, instead of waiting patiently for a scheduled sweep to re-conciliate the missing points (shout out to @Preacher7 for notifying us with this tidbit, back then).

A few months later (still in 2015), Amex USA introduced similar wording into the Business card products' footnotes, and below the 49th they enforced them vigourously as well. Yet in Canada, we never saw those one-welcome notes on our Business card products (or correct me if I'm wrong, are they there now, finally?). Though occasionally, some people reported that Amex Canada informed them that they couldn't churn the Business cards, or that they couldn't have two concurrent Business card products and receive the welcome bonus again on the second card. Meanwhile, some of these people continued to get the bonus points anyways, after the next sweep, while a few did not (or so we assume, since they didn't come back to report with an update).

So, will a similar tool come to Canada? Let's hope not. And if it does, hopefully it's full of mis-diagnostics.
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
That's excellent! It's like CRA telling you in advance if a tax optimization/avoidance scheme will be prosecuted or not. That means that I could try different sign up links and different ways of filling out the application form until the welcome bonus non-eligibility notice is NOT displayed. That way I know I'm getting the welcome and will keep the screenshot or recording of me filling the application form and the non-eligibility notice NOT showing in order to argue with AMEX if they do not award the welcome bonus.
lsquare and jubberly like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, we expected the same gloom-and-doom for Amex Canada, when Amex USA introduced the one-welcome notes on their Personal cards in early 2015. Soon after in July 2015 Amex Canada added similar wording in the footnotes to our Personal card products but unlike in the US, Amex Canada never fully enforced it to the same degree, not even close. So we've been able to continue to repeat churn these Personal card products for the most part, though there have been many reports that fellow Canadians were denied the welcome bonus, and mostly by people who made the mistake of calling Amex to ask why they hadn't received the points yet, instead of waiting patiently for a scheduled sweep to re-conciliate the missing points (shout out to @Preacher7 for notifying us with this tidbit, back then).

A few months later (still in 2015), Amex USA introduced similar wording into the Business card products' footnotes, and below the 49th they enforced them vigourously as well. Yet in Canada, we never saw those one-welcome notes on our Business card products (or correct me if I'm wrong, are they there now, finally?). Though occasionally, some people reported that Amex Canada informed them that they couldn't churn the Business cards, or that they couldn't have two concurrent Business card products and receive the welcome bonus again on the second card. Meanwhile, some of these people continued to get the bonus points anyways, after the next sweep, while a few did not (or so we assume, since they didn't come back to report with an update).

So, will a similar tool come to Canada? Let's hope not. And if it does, hopefully it's full of mis-diagnostics.
thx for the shout out, JJJ! Our churn team of 8 just completed another successful Biz card run of Plat/Gold cards. this has been a real blessing, as in the US, biz cards have been unchurnable for years. we did have to wait again for about 8 weeks on two of the Gold bonuses but the Plat bonuses all posted right away. it’s been great to get this churn in just under the wire to be able to transfer MRs to SPG before the merger next month. then we are also able to combine 8 personal accounts into one at SPG for free, to maximize points-pooling
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE
I logged into the AX site today and found that I could not see my MR points info. Is anyone else noticing that part missing? When I navigate to the link and not just use the overview, I get:

The American Express Online Services system has not properly responded to your request. If you were attempting to view Billing Details, the system may be unable to return all of your charges at one time. Please use your browser's back button, and press the "Additional Cards" button to view your charges one card at a time. If the problem persists, please call American Express Customer Service and provide error code indicated on this page.

Personal Cardmembers: Please contact our Customer Service department at 1-877-325-AMEX(2639) between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. EST

Corporate Card holders: Please call the American Express Corporate Interactive Support Line at 1-877-429-9246 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. EST.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:17 am

I have the same experience.Probably just updating......

Edit: Points are showing on the mobile app
pointsnerd likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I read that there is currently a transfer bonus from MR to Avios. Does anyone have the details. Is there a place where such bonuses would be publicized, or do you just have to know?
pointsnerd likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I'd rather be told upfront. Several months after I should have gotten the bonus for a churned SPG card, I called and received the sad news that because I had it in 2016 I was not eligible. Luckily I have had several work stays at Starwood/Marriott properties that generated some nice bonused spend, but disappointing nonetheless.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Has anybody recently inquired about welcome bonus using the Amex "contact us by email" and received unhelpful responses from someone named M. Y. (I omitted the full name) ? It seems this agent is currently the only agent responding to inquiries about Membership Rewards points and my experience is that this agent is less cooperative/friendly/helpful compared to other agents that replied to my points inquiries in the past.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Has anybody recently inquired about welcome bonus using the Amex "contact us by email" and received unhelpful responses from someone named M. Y. (I omitted the full name) ? It seems this agent is currently the only agent responding to inquiries about Membership Rewards points and my experience is that this agent is less cooperative/friendly/helpful compared to other agents that replied to my points inquiries in the past.
I recently dealt with this person regarding missing points on my SPG Amex (since the MR points was the closest item in the contact us - drop down menu). The issue was resolved quickly with good follow-up communication, although MY's involvement may have been limited to passing the inquiry on to someone else since it wasn't actually an MR inquiry.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
How long does it usually take after paying a balance for MR points to post? It's a Plat card, if that matters. My balance is showing paid, but no points have appeared after 24 hours, and I need to transfer those points to SPG soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.