Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Schweden
As for the $200 travel credit, I was just curious as to whether the sole $200 credit allotted annually to the card is bookable for the supplementary cardholder. It irks me a little that I can't use it to book travel for others like I can with Aeroplan points as I personally don't see much value in booking through Amex travel services.
Certainly the credit needs to be used on a booking *by* the primary card holder. It's really not clear if it has to be used *for* the primary card holder. But the credit is pretty easy to use since Amex now allows online booking for flights and hotels, and you can have the credit applied automatically (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I think that only became available in Canada a couple of years ago).

I can't say 100% that you can book a ticket online in the primary's account with the name of a different passenger and still have the credit applied, but if I had to guess I would say it would work. (And worst case there are certainly ways to get the $200 back by applying the credit towards cancellable hotel reservations, but I'm not condoning that!).
Old May 31, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm just wondering what's the best way to sign up for the Cobalt at the moment? GCR or self-referral through AMEX Gold?
Old May 31, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm just wondering what's the best way to sign up for the Cobalt at the moment? GCR or self-referral through AMEX Gold?
I guess that depends on whether you prefer a $50 rebate or a 5000 MR referral bonus.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I guess that depends on whether you prefer a $50 rebate or a 5000 MR referral bonus.
In your opinion, what's more valuable?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Anybody have any recent data points on the Gold AMEX with respect to getting the bonus if one has had the card before?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:45 pm

I have received the welcome points a few months ago and a work friend just received the welcome points a few days ago...both of us previous cardholders.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jubberly
I have received the welcome points a few months ago and a work friend just received the welcome points a few days ago...both of us previous cardholders.
Thanks, so I signed up for the Perkopolis offer thanks to help from Flyertalk. The terms specifically say

" Say YES to the American Express® Gold Rewards Card – As a Perkopolis Member, pay a $150 annual fee* and receive a statement credit of $150 when you spend $1,500 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership2. Plus, receive an additional 2,500 Membership Rewards points annually upon renewal**. "

I understand that if one drops below $1500 (say after a refund) that they pull the 25,000 MR points, and that makes sense. But do they yank the statement credit as well?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Thanks, so I signed up for the Perkopolis offer thanks to help from Flyertalk. The terms specifically say

" Say YES to the American Express® Gold Rewards Card – As a Perkopolis Member, pay a $150 annual fee* and receive a statement credit of $150 when you spend $1,500 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership2. Plus, receive an additional 2,500 Membership Rewards points annually upon renewal**. "

I understand that if one drops below $1500 (say after a refund) that they pull the 25,000 MR points, and that makes sense. But do they yank the statement credit as well?
The new Perkopolis Gold offer was revised sometime during the latter part of March, wasn't it? I know it was still $500 spending and FYF back in Jan when I posted about it. Anyways, the revised/current offer is too new to see any data points with respect to the refunds issue that you mentioned, but maybe someone can reach out to inform the community?

The instantly awarded 25,000 will (most likely) be clawed back if you refund items and dip below the $1500 minimum spend, but as we've seen in our household and as reported by several others over the years, the 25,000 will re-post automatically if you act quickly and raise the spending back up over the threshold.

But as for the $150 statement credit, I haven't seen how this works yet. If it also appeared instantly on the account balance at the same time that the 25,000 welcome bonus appeared, then I think it would be tied into the same algorthm/process. If they are different processes (i.e., the $150 appears a day or two later after the welcome bonus) then it will likely be similar to the way the $200 travel credit is posted for the Personal Platinum card. And if so then my guess is that it won't even get clawed back with a below-threshold refunded item, similar to what we've seen with the Plat's $200 credit.

Keep us posted, if you wander down this path.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:25 am

I've never heard of "Perkopolis"...how does one sign up for a membership there?
It looks like a membership code is required to sign up, but I have no clue how to obtain one.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
I've never heard of "Perkopolis"...how does one sign up for a membership there?.....
How do I register on Perkopolis.com?
Perkopolis membership is offered through your company/association. To create an account, click ‘register’ in the top right corner. Enter your corporate email and you will be sent a follow up email to confirm your email address, once received you can complete the online registration and login to access your savings!
If you don’t have a corporate email, use your personal email and enter the unique code provided by your organization.

If you experience difficulties, you can reach us at (416) 236-4985 or 1-800-761-7523, and it will be our pleasure to help you.

Who is eligible for membership?
The Perkopolis Program is available to employees and/or members of all registered companies. To find out if you are eligible for membership please check with your Human Resources department or Association representative.

If you are interested in becoming a registered company with Perkopolis please visit our corporate website at Zero Cost Perk Programs - Perkopolis Discount Program and complete the Request More Information form.
https://www.perkopolis.com/faq
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

I had used an earlier Perkopolis offer where the annual fee was waived for the first year.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:56 pm

Data point for a personal Gold MR card that did not receive points after surpassing $1500 in late January/early Feb. After waiting over 12 weeks, Amex was contacted and the rep said that since it was a repeated churn, that the 25,000 MR welcome points would not be awarded. But, it looks like after Amex ran one of their reconciliation sweeps, the welcome points did post anyways, a few days ago.

Takeaways:
  1. Don't give up hope, in spite of what a rep tells you. They may just read from their CSR guide to give you a fixed answer, and instead of taking it to the next step to put the policy into effect and ensure that you don't get the bonus, they instead end their shift and leave your card profile intact.
  2. Be patient and wait for the points to post, at least until Amex runs their latest sweep to reconcile all the recent new accounts, vis-a-vis signup source codes, accumulated purchases/refunds and the 90-days from approval dates.
  3. There may have been a larger than usual number of new applications from earlier this year, due to the rash of new signups that were trying to get one last application in before the well-predicted changes to the Amex MR cards (particularly the Business Plat MR card). Perhaps there were so many new applications that had queued-up, and so it required a second sweep to finally process all the extra new cards.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:14 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jubberly
I had used an earlier Perkopolis offer where the annual fee was waived for the first year.
This offer has been replaced by the one I'm using.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
It's Mar 22, 2018. The day of anticipated changes to the Business Platinum Membership Rewards card's referral program.

As of 9:50am, Mar 22, PC web browser at Amex Biz Plat page still shows 25K referring bonus and 75K welcome bonus after $7K
  • Youą could earn a referral bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards® points˛ for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by March 21st, 2018

But on the Amex mobile app the Business Platinum page shows:
  • You could earn a referral bonus of 15,0000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral.
Wow! I really got in time! But too bad I kinda missed it a bit since I wanted to self-refer Personal Plat, but wasn't ready since I had to plan for the $3k spend. Oh well.. It was great while it lasted!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Wow! I really got in time! But too bad I kinda missed it a bit since I wanted to self-refer Personal Plat, but wasn't ready since I had to plan for the $3k spend. Oh well.. It was great while it lasted!
Well, you still did get the Biz Plat's 75K welcome bonus, before it was reduced to 60K, and you only had to spend $5K versus the new $7K requirement.

The only thing you're missing out on is the 25K referring bonus that the Biz Plat was offering. Now it's down to 15K per successful referral, or 10K less per.

You can self-refer to the Personal Plat (60K, $3K spending and $699/yr and $200 travel credit) AND ALSO to the Biz Gold (40K, $5K spending and FYF, so why not, right?). You get the 15K for referring, whether or not you complete the minimum spending missions on the newly opened cards...of course, you'd want to try and get their welcome offers too, but nice to know you that you'd keep the 15K for referring, regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.