Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 4:53 am

Does anyone have a guess whether Amex will offer 15 elite night credits for 2019 on either a business or a personal credit card (new Marriott cards or old spg cards if for some reason they continue to call them that )?

thus is important for me more than anything else related to the card. I am considering dumping a spg personal card that is almost brand new as it has already met the 40k weekend free night, and at I possibly have enough Starwood points given the deficiencies of the new program. Another sign up bonus would be sweet, but the 15 night credits is essential. I don’t have enough time nor health to stay 59 nights a year to get meaningful elite benefits,but 35 is possible, for the next two or three years with any luck.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:55 am

There is also the opinion, on reddit, that the category 4 weekend free night at spg hotels will lose their weekend only restriction, and be good st Marriott (at 25000 points, at 35000poimts) come August . Anyone brainy or bold enough to speculate on this for me please? Thank you
unclepants likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
My Ambassador confirmed that the weekend restriction would be lifted on those certs and that they'd be usable across the chain. Definite increase in value.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I just got an email offer of a free companion card for my SPG personal account. There was no mention of any bonus SPG points for signing up a companion.

So how do I evaluate the upside of this offer? Especially with the future of SPG and Amex in limbo?
Old May 14, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I just got an email offer of a free companion card for my SPG personal account. There was no mention of any bonus SPG points for signing up a companion.

So how do I evaluate the upside of this offer? Especially with the future of SPG and Amex in limbo?
There's no upside, just easier for spouse to spend for points. It's free for everyone now it seems https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/en/starwood-preferred-guest.html
Old May 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 604flyer
There's no upside, just easier for spouse to spend for points. It's free for everyone now it seems https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/en/starwood-preferred-guest.html
They always make the email offers sound better than they actually are ... e.g., "especially for you..."

I think I'll wait and see what, if any new card for Marriott is offered by Amex Canada in the coming weeks.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Has anyone had transactions post on a long weekend or weekend? I've been waiting for several refunds and charges to post since Friday last week, and it's now been 3 days with no transactions posted on any of my cards. I have never bothered to see if transactions post on a non business day. Thoughts?
Old May 21, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Has anyone had transactions post on a long weekend or weekend? I've been waiting for several refunds and charges to post since Friday last week, and it's now been 3 days with no transactions posted on any of my cards. I have never bothered to see if transactions post on a non business day. Thoughts?
Just had a quick look at my Business Gold card transactions and,yep,a transaction posted yesterday(Sunday).
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: SE 100K
I also had a transaction post in the form of my - $200 travel credit (if that counts).
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:29 am

When will my SPG points post this month? Last month they posted on the 17th. This month, we're the 22nd and I'm still waiting for them to post....

When do you guys think they will post?
Old May 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Has anyone had transactions post on a long weekend or weekend?
Checked my SPG, and there are 2 transactions posted (not pending) from Sunday.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I used to have a personal Platinum which I cancelled last October. Any issues getting the sign-up bonus if I apply again? With various changes in Amex, I just wanted to make sure.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
Hi all - just stumbled upon this forum. I recently got the SPG Amex Personal & Business for the first times (literally applied 2 days before it all changed).

Once I've spent the min requirement, I'm going to cancel one of them and keep the other one around till it dies.

My question though is that I'm interested in applying for personal/ biz platinum and also personal/biz golds in due time, but am not familiar with about the number of credit cards/ charge cards we can hold/ apply at once in Canada. Wondering if any of you could shed some light?
Old May 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I used to have a personal Platinum which I cancelled last October. Any issues getting the sign-up bonus if I apply again? With various changes in Amex, I just wanted to make sure.
Nowadays (past year) there's no way to know for sure, you just have to go with what others have been reporting, and the general impression I have is that the chances are good, and if I had to put a number to it I'd say 75% certainty. Canadian Amex has been no where near as stringent with their enforcement on the once per lifetime policy, compared to USA Amex.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by aba_bab
Hi all - just stumbled upon this forum. I recently got the SPG Amex Personal & Business for the first times (literally applied 2 days before it all changed).

Once I've spent the min requirement, I'm going to cancel one of them and keep the other one around till it dies.

My question though is that I'm interested in applying for personal/ biz platinum and also personal/biz golds in due time, but am not familiar with about the number of credit cards/ charge cards we can hold/ apply at once in Canada. Wondering if any of you could shed some light?
You can apply and carry as many Amex CHARGE cards as you can qualify for, and the Amex Personal/Business Golds and Personal/Business Platinum cards are Membership Rewards CHARGE cards. People can carry all four if they are inclined to do so. There USED to be a limit of 2 MAXIMUM on the number of CREDIT cards that you can own, but it may have been increased to at least 3 now...the SPG cards are Amex CREDIT cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.