Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by emustyle
This might be a very silly question, but will my SPG/Marriot Gold Status (from Amex Personal Plat) end when I cancel the Amex? I know PP does quite soon after, but I'm not sure about the Hotel Loyalty status.
I'm in the process of self referring to the Biz Gold, with plans to try and re-up for the Personal Plat sometime in the late summer/fall. So I'm a little unsure of my status with SPG/Marriot during the summer (August) time?
Your SPG/Marriott Gold status will be good until end of Feb 2019. Cancelling your Plat card will not affect your status.
emustyle likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Secure message.
ditto. I just did that. worked fine. no awkward conversation.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:47 pm

I apologize for the noob question, but how does one send a secure message?
Old May 3, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I apologize for the noob question, but how does one send a secure message?
Its a bit roundabout and it took me a bit to find it but you need to go:
Contact Us, Then Contact Us again, Email Us.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by emustyle
Its a bit roundabout and it took me a bit to find it but you need to go:
Contact Us, Then Contact Us again, Email Us.
Thanks!
Old May 4, 2018, 9:46 am

I signed up for a card a few weeks ago, booked a flight and right when the transaction posted on my Amex personal Gold card, the 25K welcome bonus was posted instantly. Surprised how quickly it was.
I transferred the points to Aeroplan, and I have since returned/refunded the flight. Posted and no clawback on points... yet. How likely is this to happen?
Should I book another flight and wait a while until I'm in the clear? At least after the 3 months? Or should I be ok since I got the points already? I don't want to be in the negative and have them run after me for the points.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by martinintheair
I signed up for a card a few weeks ago, booked a flight and right when the transaction posted on my Amex personal Gold card, the 25K welcome bonus was posted instantly. Surprised how quickly it was.
I transferred the points to Aeroplan, and I have since returned/refunded the flight. Posted and no clawback on points... yet. How likely is this to happen?
Should I book another flight and wait a while until I'm in the clear? At least after the 3 months? Or should I be ok since I got the points already? I don't want to be in the negative and have them run after me for the points.
You WILL be in the negative (like -25K AMEX MR points), was this "intentional"? ;-)
What AMEX does is up to them, no idea, but certainly don't want to be declined by AMEX in future
Keep us posted
Old May 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I hope I'm interpreting your question correctly here...
You should absolutely buy something on your Amex Gold card to at least bring your minimum net spend up to $1,500.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I also think there is likely going to be a crawl back - don't take the programmers in the back-end as fools. They probably going to have some leeway so if your end of month balance is near the bonus threshold, it may not trigger the crawlback. Besides, don't screw up your relationship with AMEX if you plan to get these welcome bonuses for the long run.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
There is no clawback.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:10 am

anyone seeing a delay in points posting? I crossed the 5k spend on Business Gold last week and still no sign of the welcome bonus points. This is not the first time I've had this card...
Old May 5, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: *void
Here's yet another response for you to consider.

First, did you see the points clawed back from the actual refund of the purchase? Has it been more than just a couple of days since you canceled for the refund? Eg, if you bought a $2000 air ticket, and received 4000 MR points, did those points get reversed in your MR account when the $2000 was refunded? If not, then I think you're likely not going to see the 25K clawed back either, and you're probably 'in the clear'. (no need to give actual numbers nor airline names...keep that info guarded from prying eyes on this public forum).

In my experience, when I've already received a welcome bonus, but then made a refund within the initial 90 days, and it took me below the required spending, I saw an immediate reversal of the bonus points along with the points earned from the purchase. But once I spent over the minimum again (within the 90 day period) the points re-posted automatically to my MR account.

There's been other reports of others who went in the negative and then were charged something like $1/100MR points upon cancellation of their cards, while others just ignored it and in the process 'ended' their relationship with Amex. I would suggest you to NOT be in this latter camp.

Give it another week and see what shakes out from Amex, and if it's not too personal, post some updates, thanks.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by tylerc
anyone seeing a delay in points posting? I crossed the 5k spend on Business Gold last week and still no sign of the welcome bonus points. This is not the first time I've had this card...
This is not new, Ty. Since 'forever' people have had varying experiences with how fast/slow the 40K welcome points will post after meeting the minimum spending. Could be instant, or could take 8-10 weeks. Just be patient.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Referral bonus back for Amex gold. 5000 MR for gold or cobalt
Old May 8, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Referral bonus back for Amex gold. 5000 MR for gold or cobalt
It's been that way for quite awhile (I think January 2018)

Last edited by Low Roller; May 8, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.