Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by ayking
I currently hold the personal Plat and personal SPG. Had the personal Gold and business Gold before, but cancelled more than 6 months-1yr. I'm hoping to do a MR points run now for some travel in 2019 so would appreciate some help in strategy:

Personal Plat -> Biz Plat (never held) = 75,000MR + 15,000MR from self-referral for $499
Personal Plat -> Biz Gold = 40,000MR + 15,000MR from self-referral for $0 (FYF)

Seems like getting the Biz Gold is a better deal? I intend to keep the personal Plat for its benefits.

Thanks in advance!
Although you plan to keep the personal platinum, the biz platinum has most of the same benefits, so unless there is some specific difference that is important to you, you could cancel the personal (after self-referring) and switch to the biz platinum so that you're not doubling up on annual fees. Then you could self refer from the biz platinum to the biz gold for an extra 10K referral bonus.
jerry305 and ayking like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ayking
I currently hold the personal Plat and personal SPG. Had the personal Gold and business Gold before, but cancelled more than 6 months-1yr. I'm hoping to do a MR points run now for some travel in 2019 so would appreciate some help in strategy:

Personal Plat -> Biz Plat (never held) = 75,000MR + 15,000MR from self-referral for $499
Personal Plat -> Biz Gold = 40,000MR + 15,000MR from self-referral for $0 (FYF)

Seems like getting the Biz Gold is a better deal? I intend to keep the personal Plat for its benefits.

Thanks in advance!
Biz Gold is definitely the better deal. But if you're willing to get the Plat Biz and can spend $10k on Amex cards over the next 6 months (to meet min. spend requirement) you should probably go #1 biz plat then refer from biz plat to biz gold. You get 25k referral vs. 15k. Not much, but if you also happen to have other referrals (friends families) picking up an extra 10k/referral is great.

CAVEATS: there's some speculation the 25k referral from Biz Plat will be reducing at the end of March AND the FYF Biz Gold could go away at any time.

I'd also enter your SPG Amex card # instead of your Plat Card on your application.
ayking likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Although you plan to keep the personal platinum, the biz platinum has most of the same benefits, so unless there is some specific difference that is important to you, you could cancel the personal (after self-referring) and switch to the biz platinum so that you're not doubling up on annual fees. Then you could self refer from the biz platinum to the biz gold for an extra 10K referral bonus.
The personal plat is not due for renewal until November, so it'll be a while before I need to make that decision. Will see how the benefits are at that time since $699 - $200 travel credits = $499.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Do people think they'll give ample notice or will it be a sudden "you can no longer transfer to Aeroplan'?
Yeah, I guess it will be known a few months before if AMEX is really not renewing the contract. But what I'm thinking is that AMEX is maybe looking for something better than Aeroplan since even Air Canada dumped Aeroplan.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

For any French-speaker out there: AMEX's French CSRs are really incompetent. If you want quality customer service, call in English.

For example, the replacement cards are sent by Canada Post Regular Mail if you speak French with them. However, if you speak English, they give you the choice between FedEx Express and Canada Post Priority.

Last edited by emilio911; Feb 25, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
New Referral Rate From Business Platinum

I'm sure by now we've all seen the new language on the Business Platinum referral page indicating a change could be coming on March 21st, but interestingly I just received a referral bonus of 20,000MR points when referring someone from by Business Platinum.

On one hand, I'm saddened by the missing 5,000 points, but on the other (if this is the change), I'm relieved.

Any other data points on recent referrals?
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by SOWK
I have an interesting data point, but I don't know what it means!

I'm waiting for points from a recent referral, but this is what appeared today:

What are 'bonus points'? I've had the card for ages, so this isn't related to meeting any minimum spending.

And why do I have two of them?

Not that I'm complaining But definitely confused!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: *void
I'm sure by now we've all seen the new language on the Business Platinum referral page indicating a change could be coming on March 21st, but interestingly I just received a referral bonus of 20,000MR points when referring someone from by Business Platinum.

On one hand, I'm saddened by the missing 5,000 points, but on the other (if this is the change), I'm relieved.

This warrants a call or secured message to Amex to ask why you were short-changed. The 5000 difference is worth a minimum of $50.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I have an interesting data point, but I don't know what it means!

I'm waiting for points from a recent referral, but this is what appeared today:

What are 'bonus points'? I've had the card for ages, so this isn't related to meeting any minimum spending.

And why do I have two of them?

Not that I'm complaining But definitely confused!
Good to see the Amex Easter Bunny came early this year!

Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Good to see the Amex Easter Bunny came early this year!

Nope, I think I figured it out! I have two recent referrals from my BizPlat, and yet each gave me only 10,000 points. So each 15,000 bonus appears to be a top-up to make the full 25,000.

Which makes me a bit afraid that the March 21 referral point deduction might be all the way down to 10,000 points...

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Nope, I think I figured it out! I have two recent referrals from my BizPlat, and yet each gave me only 10,000 points. So each 15,000 bonus appears to be a top-up to make the full 25,000.

Which makes me a bit afraid that the March 21 referral point deduction might be all the way down to 10,000 points...

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Huh. And when did those 10,000 referrals post? Before/after these make-up 15,000 points?

Curious if your referrals, as well as @SOWK were referrals from Biz Plat cards to open other Biz Plat cards, or were the new cards that were opened the other MR cards that can be referred, namely the Personal Plat or Biz Plat.

Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emilio911
For any French-speaker out there: AMEX's French CSRs are really incompetent. If you want quality customer service, call in English.

For example, the replacement cards are sent by Canada Post Regular Mail if you speak French with them. However, if you speak English, they gave you the choice between FedEx Express, Canada Post Priority.
At certain times of the day your also getting CSRs based in France (Or the UK) as well, who aren't overly familiar with the Canadian products.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Huh. And when did those 10,000 referrals post? Before/after these make-up 15,000 points?

Curious if your referrals, as well as @SOWK were referrals from Biz Plat cards to open other Biz Plat cards, or were the new cards that were opened the other MR cards that can be referred, namely the Personal Plat or Biz Plat.

I referred someone for the Business Platinum Card when the 20,000 points posted. Referred another person the next day, and the full 25,000 points posted this morning. I will send a secure message to Amex to see what happened.
JJonahJ likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:09 pm

I referred someone for the Business Platinum Card when the 20,000 points posted. Referred another person the next day, and the full 25,000 points posted this morning. I will send a secure message to Amex to see what happened.
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

So we are perhaps seeing indicators that the Business Plat referring bonus may be dropping, and as you mentioned previously, if it's from 25,000 down to 20,000 then that's not as bad as dropping it back to its original (prior to Mar 2016) bonus of 15,000 per approved referral.

I can already see that we will be in for a stream of datapoints where the Business Plat's referral bonus will be 'missing' or delayed for several weeks, much like when the Personal Plat was pushed back down to 15,000, after the 3-month experiment of giving it 25,000 powers. After that happened, throughout the summer and even into the Fall, Amex were delaying many Personal Plat's referring bonus from posting by as much as 8-10 weeks, and I surmise it was due to pulling aside these applications and feeding the referrals through a manual review, to ensure only 15,000 were awarded, instead of the briefly gifted 25,000.

What a revolving world we are seeing in the Amex Canada scene.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:33 pm

My Personal Gold is untimely expiring just ahead of some travel I have to book soon and as I'm planning to change to personal Platinum anyways, I called the customer service to check if travel coverage afforded by purchase with Gold would voided with the switch (based on what I've gleaned here, MR transfers isn't a problem). Here's what they said:

1. If requesting upgrade from within account, the coverage of travel purchased with the Gold would continue to be valid (at the Gold level not the Platinum).
2. If obtaining the Platinum by a referral, i.e. such that the ex. Gold and Platinum would be active for a short time together and the bonus referral points applied, the rep. indicated that the coverage of travel purchased with the Gold would not be recognized.

Wanted to see if anyone has been in similar case, or received the same answers as I did from Amex (just worried it's variable depending on which rep. one speaks to). Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.