Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Can't you just merge the two MR accounts so they become one? I used to have the Platinum and the Gold card (years ago when it was $499 for both cards) (charter member is what I think it was called), and I just had them both deposit into one account.
You CAN request for this, if two MR cards aren't automatically merged when you activate a second/new card. Some people like them merged so that the points are pooled, and when it comes time to cancelling a card (eg., to avoid annual fees) then you don't even need to request that the MR points stay alive and attached to the non-cancelling card.

It was a bit of a chore prior to 2015, to request for merged MR accounts (Platinums are MR First, versus Golds are regular MR points), but in the past couple of years very few people are met with flack for requesting a merger of the two different MR points.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
PERKOPOLIS - if you work for an organization/group that has a Perkopolis association, you can still open the Personal Gold through their special link using an RSVP code, and their offer for the Personal Gold MR card is 25,000 MR and FYF, after just $500 spending (regular channels require $1500). Plus if you choose to keep the card after 1 year the annual fee is $99 (vs. $150).
Thanks for letting us know about the Perkopolis benefit!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWhere
Thanks for letting us know about the Perkopolis benefit!
As with Amex, Perkopolis membership has its benefits!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
Is there a way to refer From: SPG Amex To: Amex Cobalt ? Thanks for your help.
No, SPG cards can only refer to other SPG cards and only the gold or cobalt cards can refer to cobalt.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Any recent data points of welcome bonus not posting immediately after reaching the minimum spend on a Biz card ? AmI right in suspecting that they are delayed to 8-10 weeks if a refund occurred while working towards achieving the minimum spend ?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any recent data points of welcome bonus not posting immediately after reaching the minimum spend on a Biz card ? AmI right in suspecting that they are delayed to 8-10 weeks if a refund occurred while working towards achieving the minimum spend ?
Recent business platinum posted day after spend hit. Referrals from it posting day after as well. Gold may be different?
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
I got a Business Platinum in November and Personal Platinum in December; got both bonuses immediately upon hitting spend
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by theranj
I got a Business Platinum in November and Personal Platinum in December; got both bonuses immediately upon hitting spend
Thanks. My gf had her welcome bonus for the Biz Gold delayed to 10 weeks. During the course of working towards achieving the $5000 minimum spend she received one or two refunds to her card. I wonder if that's the cause that delayed the posting of the welcome bonus
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:38 am

Got a Biz plat and would like to self refer to personal plat. I will get 25k for referral and 60k on personal plat. Am I correct? Later I can request two MR accounts to merge, right? Many thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Yes that’s correct
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the SPG AMEX. I'm really interested in this card, but am worried they may cancel the card soon, given the SPG/Marriott mergers.

Is it still a good idea to apply, even though it's almost February now?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the SPG AMEX. I'm really interested in this card, but am worried they may cancel the card soon, given the SPG/Marriott mergers.

Is it still a good idea to apply, even though it's almost February now?
I assume that they will stop accepting applications quite a while before they cancel existing cards. So, if I were you, I'd apply now and take advantage of the 20K point sign-up bonus. If they cancel your card before the first year is up, they will likely refund part of your annual fee. So, I say go for it, and sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:24 pm

Hi all!

Can someone tell me exactly when AMEX Gold charges their annual fee? Is it on statement date or on the exact anniversary date?

I got approved on Feb 17 2017.

I'm asking because I would like to use to cancel the card ASAP in order to avoid the second year annual fee. However, I plan to rent a car for one day on Feb 23 2018 and would like to still have it that day in order to use the rental car insurance.

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
Hi all!

Can someone tell me exactly when AMEX Gold charges their annual fee? Is it on statement date or on the exact anniversary date?

I got approved on Feb 17 2017.

I'm asking because I would like to use to cancel the card ASAP in order to avoid the second year annual fee. However, I plan to rent a car for one day on Feb 23 2018 and would like to still have it that day in order to use the rental car insurance.

Thank you!
It will be charged on the 13th statement, on the statement's cycling date. So if your FIRST statement was say Feb 28th, 2017 then it will be on your Feb 28th, 2018 statement date. But in any event, you have 60 days to change your mind, to contact Amex and cancel for a full refund. Don't push that limit though, and cancel before the 13th statement's due date, so you won't have to pay and then ask for a statement credit afterwards.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Not long ago, I churned the personal SPG card after a several-months long break between cancelling my last personal SPG card and acquiring a new personal SPG card. Despite meeting the minimum spending requirements some months ago, I didn't receive the bonus points again. It was an experiment on my part, so I don't mind too much, and I thought that I'd share my experience with the FlyerTalk community. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it's far from a given that you can successfully churn the personal version of the SPG card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.