Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Has anyone heard of a financial review on credit cards (not charge cards, because I have had that) in Canada?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:45 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Sounds like BS to me, I spend $150k/yr and never been called "high value"
I just had to call Amex for a gold application, I got the same "you are a high value customer bla bla bla"

Sounds just like their secure message emails, canned overly enthusiastic marketing drivel. Meaningless.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:18 am

In the Wiki, it says the first year is free for the Amex Gold, but if I go to Amex Canada's site, it seems to be $150. Is it free if I use a referral link or is it a mistake?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by erik19283
In the Wiki, it says the first year is free for the Amex Gold, but if I go to Amex Canada's site, it seems to be $150. Is it free if I use a referral link or is it a mistake?
They ended the first year free late last year. The wiki hasn't been updated.
erik19283 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Is there a way to refer From: SPG Amex To: Amex Cobalt ? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
If you don't see the 2018 travel credit online you could go ahead and book first and then call AMEX to get the $200 credit applied afterwards. Or, if you want to do it in one shot, just to be sure, then call and ask a rep to help you with the booking and the travel credit at the same time.
Just an update, the 2018 travel credit did end up appearing in my account for use after a couple of days into 2018. I used it no problem.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Not sure if this has been posted, but I applied and received Personal Platinum late 2016. I used the $200 travel credit.

Later in 2017, I used the travel credit of $200 again for this calendar year. I was credited.

As the $699 charge came up, I cancelled the card.

I just received a letter statement in the mail showing a $200 charge in that they refunded $499 from the annual charge.

I haven't called them yet, but has this happened to anyone, and what was the result?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:52 am

Is the SPG card now 20k signup (not 25k as indicated in the wiki?)?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by dominick
Not sure if this has been posted, but I applied and received Personal Platinum late 2016. I used the $200 travel credit.

Later in 2017, I used the travel credit of $200 again for this calendar year. I was credited.

As the $699 charge came up, I cancelled the card.

I just received a letter statement in the mail showing a $200 charge in that they refunded $499 from the annual charge.

I haven't called them yet, but has this happened to anyone, and what was the result?
It happened to me the last time I had the Platinum Card. If you look back you will find posts discussing this. It seems that you are fine using the travel credit twice just as long as you cancel before you get the $699 charge for the next year. If the charge gets applied and then you cancel after using the travel credit for that year you will only get $499 back.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by gspurr
It happened to me the last time I had the Platinum Card. If you look back you will find posts discussing this. It seems that you are fine using the travel credit twice just as long as you cancel before you get the $699 charge for the next year. If the charge gets applied and then you cancel after using the travel credit for that year you will only get $499 back.
Thanks... yes, I was likely 2-3 days late - lesson learned not to procrastinate!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dominick
Is the SPG card now 20k signup (not 25k as indicated in the wiki?)?
Yes,20k signup....for both the personal and business(after min $1500 spend within first 3 months of opening)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by erik19283
Updated the WiKi regarding Gold's loss of FYF and 5,000 referring bonus.
  • Amex Gold MR lost its FYF status on Sep 14, 2017. The $150/yr annual fee will appear on the first statement.
  • The Personal Gold MR can refer to another Personal Gold, or the Cobalt CC (and vice versa), for 5,000 MR.
  • The Personal Gold CAN NO LONGER refer to the Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
If you want to open the Personal Gold to keep your MR points alive from another concurrently opened MR card (Biz Gold, for example) which needs to be cancelled, and you have a partner to refer you, then the 25,000 + 5,000 (adding supplementary cardholder during referred application), then this works out to 30,000 MR points, which has a minimum value of $300 as a statement credit, and more value if converted to Aeroplan or Avios and redeemed 'well'. Plus your partner earns 5,000 MR for referring, and thus a total 35,000 MR for your team/partnership. So, it COULD be worthwhile, if it suits your needs/preferences.

Other options:

GCR - Earn a $50 or $60 (varies from time to time) cash back when you apply through their channel. Welcome offer is 25,000 MR after $1500 spending.

PERKOPOLIS - if you work for an organization/group that has a Perkopolis association, you can still open the Personal Gold through their special link using an RSVP code, and their offer for the Personal Gold MR card is 25,000 MR and FYF, after just $500 spending (regular channels require $1500). Plus if you choose to keep the card after 1 year the annual fee is $99 (vs. $150).
margarita girl and jerry305 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Updated the WiKi regarding Gold's loss of FYF and 5,000 referring bonus.
  • Amex Gold MR lost its FYF status on Sep 14, 2017. The $150/yr annual fee will appear on the first statement.
  • The Personal Gold MR can refer to another Personal Gold, or the Cobalt CC (and vice versa), for 5,000 MR.
  • The Personal Gold CAN NO LONGER refer to the Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
If you want to open the Personal Gold to keep your MR points alive from another concurrently opened MR card (Biz Gold, for example) which needs to be cancelled, and you have a partner to refer you, then the 25,000 + 5,000 (adding supplementary cardholder during referred application), then this works out to 30,000 MR points, which has a minimum value of $300 as a statement credit, and more value if converted to Aeroplan or Avios and redeemed 'well'. Plus your partner earns 5,000 MR for referring, and thus a total 35,000 MR for your team/partnership. So, it COULD be worthwhile, if it suits your needs/preferences.

Other options:

GCR - Earn a $50 or $60 (varies from time to time) cash back when you apply through their channel. Welcome offer is 25,000 MR after $1500 spending.

PERKOPOLIS - if you work for an organization/group that has a Perkopolis association, you can still open the Personal Gold through their special link using an RSVP code, and their offer for the Personal Gold MR card is 25,000 MR and FYF, after just $500 spending (regular channels require $1500). Plus if you choose to keep the card after 1 year the annual fee is $99 (vs. $150).
Can you transfer the points from personal platinum to Personal Gold to keep your MR points ?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by peroorim
Can you transfer the points from personal platinum to Personal Gold to keep your MR points ?
Can't you just merge the two MR accounts so they become one? I used to have the Platinum and the Gold card (years ago when it was $499 for both cards) (charter member is what I think it was called), and I just had them both deposit into one account.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by peroorim
Sure. When you are ready to cancel your Personal Platinum (or Biz Gold or Biz Plat), just ask Amex move your MR points from the closing-card to another MR card that is still active (except NOT to the Colbalt CC). This will keep your MR points alive for another card's generation.

You can call or send a Secured Message to request for the cancellation, but DO make sure you mention that those MR points are to be moved to the other non-cancelling MR card account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.