Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

There's no way Centurion is separated from Amex. It's just that the Centurion US team tends to operate independently internally, so it's a bit tough to crack their process and methods, really.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:35 pm

re: country club: it's not a benefit I've ever heard of, and it can't possibly be true given how many private clubs exist in the USA.

re: separation: I think the AMEX salespeople are trained to say that so you won't get too upset if they can't get you one, or, on the other hand, you're grateful if they do. Mine told me even the CEO of AMEX couldn't get a friend of his a Centurion card. Again, that really can't possibly be true.

re: notification: I received a telephone call from the Centurion program, which I think is in Florida. They asked me if I would accept the fees of the card, did a very quick credit pull, and went over the various benefits and solicited my program numbers for Delta, Hertz, et al. so I would be enrolled in the programs. I got the card a day or two later, and also calls from the assigned concierge and travel agent within that time frame as well.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
re: separation: I think the AMEX salespeople are trained to say that so you won't get too upset if they can't get you one, or, on the other hand, you're grateful if they do. Mine told me even the CEO of AMEX couldn't get a friend of his a Centurion card. Again, that really can't possibly be true.
Agreed. Anyone who believes the CEO can't pull strings in the company they are the Chief Executive of is clearly misguided and doesn't understand the power of management hierarchies.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:23 am

re: country club: it's not a benefit I've ever heard of, and it can't possibly be true given how many private clubs exist in the USA.

re: notification: I received a telephone call from the Centurion program, which I think is in Florida. They asked me if I would accept the fees of the card, did a very quick credit pull, and went over the various benefits and solicited my program numbers for Delta, Hertz, et al. so I would be enrolled in the programs. I got the card a day or two later, and also calls from the assigned concierge and travel agent within that time frame as well.
I mean it makes sense to get that kind of tension - to get people disappointed for not getting it. It's kinda like in NYC a club would create a longer line to get in just to give the impression of exclusivity.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:38 am

My buddy is a member at two of the most exclusive country clubs in the states. I know Centurion card holders do NOT have access to these clubs. The clubs don't care who you are or how much money you have, let alone a credit card.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by larciel
had a chat with my RM and she said Centurion team is pretty much separated from amex. They do their own things.

Access to all country clubs in US is intriguing for me. Any members that used the perk?
Access to SOME country clubs is the accurate description. Some useful, others less so. Guest fees are also $$$$ so no such thing as a free lunch.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Re: country clubs, that's not the way they work. Most of the more prestigious ones sell equity memberships - you purchase it at market rate, from a previous member wishing to sell. Some of the city clubs sell true memberships - but often the dues are much higher than the entire Centurion annual fee. Regardless, you need to petition, usually with signers, and be voted in by the board to the good country clubs. Disclaimer: I was a member of a good quality city club for several years, and have visited lots of different clubs.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:31 pm

I received by post a package with a letter and 2 plastic black cards. I have the privilege to nominate 2 or more people for the Centurion invitation.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by ptxl
I received by post a package with a letter and 2 plastic black cards. I have the privilege to nominate 2 or more people for the Centurion invitation.
And this is a Cent from which location?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by S.R
Has there been any info to suggest that if the majority of spend on a platinum card account comes from the use of supplementary platinum cards on that account, rather then from the card of the main account holder, that chances of centurion invitation are less likely? This would be for a personal, not business account.
Can’t speak to what is more or less likely, but I know some Centurion card holders where the bulk of the spend on the prior primary Amex cards was done on cards issued to additional users of the accounts. In some cases, the bulk of the spend was even manufactured spend done under those additional user cards.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by APeverell
And this is a Cent from which location?
From Europe
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Agreed. Anyone who believes the CEO can't pull strings in the company they are the Chief Executive of is clearly misguided and doesn't understand the power of management hierarchies.
Except it shouldn't happen, undermines the accountability of corporate governance on behalf of shareholders and a big no-no in auditing. Private companies you can do as you please, public companies can't afford these shenanigans.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:39 am

Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Access to SOME country clubs is the accurate description. Some useful, others less so. Guest fees are also $$$$ so no such thing as a free lunch.

do you have list of gc?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
edit: still learning to read.

interesting they're doing it like that now/again.

Last edited by aceman; Sep 5, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.