Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If Michael Jordan or Janet Jackson want to travel, do they read this forum to try to save $1,000? No. Or Chase Jamie Dimon. He does not even spend his own money. They do not care about the $5k fee etc....
ginmqi likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
While that is generally true, I also personally know a couple of billionaires (and a celeb) who love their miles & points, equally I know those who couldn't care less and don't even really know about the Cent benefits - more of hobby for their other half or kids, or no one. But that is why e.g. lower tiers of cards are focused on miles & points, multipliers etc., while Cent is about experience. I personally like not paying full price for things and feel like I'm getting a "deal" - its a hobby I'd say. Wouldn't make much of a difference to my life if I just paid up for everything, though perhaps I could better use the time otherwise spent on FT!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:56 am

I think it's difficult to make valid generalizations about how people behave when they have money versus when they don't. The best general rule I can attempt to make is that if one has worked hard to accumulate significant net worth, one is mindful of receiving value for money spent. As has been pointed out on this thread (viz, whether the Centurion card is "worth it"), value is often personal and subjective. It also changes over time.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:25 pm

This is probably veering too far off-topic, but I do wish FT were less skewed to the topics of manufactured spending, maximizing bonuses, finding super cheap point redemption rates at mid-range chain hotels, etc. I originally came here when I got a new job that required me to travel a lot, and I wanted to learn the "tricks of the trade" to make that experience less frustrating. Now I basically come here either when I'm sitting bored in a meeting and looking for distraction (like right now), or if there's some specific issue I'm having with an airline, hotel, or credit card company. There are times that I've waded into the "points and miles" discussions because sometimes I can't resist the conversation or debate. But those things really play such a small part in my real life that I would not miss them if there were an "expert traveler" forum that completely banned those topics.

(I'll admit that I do sometimes look at the MS forum, but it's purely for the schadenfreude of seeing people who are trying to game the system get knocked down a peg or two when their accounts are closed.....)
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YClass
While that is generally true, I also personally know a couple of billionaires (and a celeb) who love their miles & points, equally I know those who couldn't care less and don't even really know about the Cent benefits - more of hobby for their other half or kids, or no one. But that is why e.g. lower tiers of cards are focused on miles & points, multipliers etc., while Cent is about experience. I personally like not paying full price for things and feel like I'm getting a "deal" - its a hobby I'd say. Wouldn't make much of a difference to my life if I just paid up for everything, though perhaps I could better use the time otherwise spent on FT!
My wife refers to this as my version of coupon clipping craziness. There's not really much I need shopping wise so this is my outlet to score a 'deal.' Either through a great travel redemption or by some point maximization scheme. And as much as my wife mocks, she and the kids certainly do love the trips!

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
I think it's difficult to make valid generalizations about how people behave when they have money versus when they don't. The best general rule I can attempt to make is that if one has worked hard to accumulate significant net worth, one is mindful of receiving value for money spent. As has been pointed out on this thread (viz, whether the Centurion card is "worth it"), value is often personal and subjective. It also changes over time.
Absolutely spot on. This has been my experience as well. I would also add another observation which is not only does the value system vary personally and subjectively from person to person, it often varies within the same person. I know a guy that's willing to fly privately to sporting events (see note above about how ridiculous expensively that is) and has his own box. But it kills him how much they overcharge for bottled water so he loads the box himself with water before games. You can do the math on the relative savings compared to the total expenditure.

I bring up the private jet b/c he's been known to fly cases of water to the stadium to save himself the trip to the grocery store after he gets there.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
This is probably veering too far off-topic, but I do wish FT were less skewed to the topics of manufactured spending, maximizing bonuses, finding super cheap point redemption rates at mid-range chain hotels, etc. I originally came here when I got a new job that required me to travel a lot, and I wanted to learn the "tricks of the trade" to make that experience less frustrating. Now I basically come here either when I'm sitting bored in a meeting and looking for distraction (like right now), or if there's some specific issue I'm having with an airline, hotel, or credit card company. There are times that I've waded into the "points and miles" discussions because sometimes I can't resist the conversation or debate. But those things really play such a small part in my real life that I would not miss them if there were an "expert traveler" forum that completely banned those topics.

(I'll admit that I do sometimes look at the MS forum, but it's purely for the schadenfreude of seeing people who are trying to game the system get knocked down a peg or two when their accounts are closed.....)
The only two things that annoy me on these forums are the people that can't seem to accept that different people have different circumstances, and the people that are blatantly gaming the system and then are outraged when they get busted.

RedSun mentioned he can spend $2,500 on total annual fees and still get a positive return. Meanwhile, I know people that $95 on a Sapphire Preferred would be a total waste. They'd be better off with a no AF Freedom card but someone told them double points were better than cash back but they spend so little on dining and travel they'll never hit a redemption.

As for the latter, no judgment on gaming the system. More power to you if you're successful. Just spare us the outrage if things go wrong.

Finally, I'd just like to say, despite these minor annoyances, I think this place is fantastic. I've probably gotten more great information off these forums that have led to tangibly positive outcomes than any other single source of information in my life. My traveling life is so much better than it was years ago when I was slogging it out in the back of United. Thanks to all the people that contribute regularly to this community with incredibly useful information. I'll try to do better giving back.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:51 pm

AMEX just announced they will lift the 500,000 maximum on the 35% pay with points rebate on the Business Platinum. Max points back will go to 1M with $1M of spend, and 3M with $3M of spend.

What I found interesting about this is it does seem to suggest that the present threshold for the Business Centurion is higher than $3M of spend, as the Business Centurion has no limit or waiting period on getting 50% of the points back. In theory if $1M of spend on Business Platinum garnered an invitation to the Business Centurion, these enhanced caps would be moot. (I understand there's an issue of the large fee differentials, but as has been pointed out earlier on this thread, with that many points being earned and rebated, the fee is well worth it).
Old May 2, 2018, 2:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...does seem to suggest that the present threshold for the Business Centurion is higher than $3M ....
-OR- that there are criteria other than spend that are not met by many Business Platinum accounts.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
If Michael Jordan or Janet Jackson want to travel, do they read this forum to try to save $1,000? No. Or Chase Jamie Dimon. He does not even spend his own money. They do not care about the $5k fee etc....
I'd hope Dimon uses his JP Morgan Reserve rather than Amex.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:07 am

Have been extended a 2% plum card and just got my Tier1 Status in the mail, still no invite.

For most of my travel thru spring and summer I am going to be using AMEX travel, will see if that helps at all.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:01 am

AMEX just announced they will lift the 500,000 maximum on the 35% pay with points rebate on the Business Platinum. Max points back will go to 1M with $1M of spend, and 3M with $3M of spend.

What I found interesting about this is it does seem to suggest that the present threshold for the Business Centurion is higher than $3M of spend, as the Business Centurion has no limit or waiting period on getting 50% of the points back. In theory if $1M of spend on Business Platinum garnered an invitation to the Business Centurion, these enhanced caps would be moot. (I understand there's an issue of the large fee differentials, but as has been pointed out earlier on this thread, with that many points being earned and rebated, the fee is well worth it).
This is probably as good a guidance point as we're likely to get. While it doesn't mean if you hit $3m, you will get a Centurion Invite, it does mean there are enough Biz Plats out there hitting $3m that Amex felt the need to address the issue. To me it does imply the threshold for serious consideration is at least $3m now.

Originally Posted by mia
-OR- that there are criteria other than spend that are not met by many Business Platinum accounts.
I hear what you're saying. But from what I've heard, it does sound like the Biz Cent criteria are more transactional in nature. After all, you probably shouldn't be putting that Birkin Bag on the company card. Of course, they could be looking at premium airfare/ hotel for the luxury spend criteria. If that's the case, I will completely defer to your point.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum/JAL Saphire/Hilton Diamond/Marriott & Starwood Gold
AmEx Called to Invite Me to the Centurion Card

...but that was a long time ago-- I think it was 1999 when it was first available. AmEx Green was my second credit card I got while in college. I moved to Gold and then to Platinum which I had when AmEx called inviting me to Centurion.

Last edited by michael.mac; May 18, 2018 at 5:02 am
Old May 30, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
I spoke with a Cent New Card agent today that claims that they sent out ZERO invitations in 2017 and haven't sent out any in 2018 yet either.
How were you able to get in touch with a Cent New Card agent? Feel free to PM me to keep things from getting ruined.

Much appreciated!
Old May 31, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
How were you able to get in touch with a Cent New Card agent? Feel free to PM me to keep things from getting ruined.

Much appreciated!
The Centurion New Account number has been tweeted out by American Express before, as well as mentioned in this thread. They won't do much except note your interest in acquiring the card.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Deleted. Off-topic and ignorant.

Last edited by 12Mermaids; May 31, 2018 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.