Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redeeming MR points at retailers - can it be disabled?

Old Dec 27, 17, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

is there a way to have the option disabled? or not, because its not in amex's interest to do so?

amazon has setting where one can turn on/off amazon displaying it as payment option, better than nothing.
Old Dec 27, 17, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You can't completely disable it, but I have had the opposite problem using Android, at least. The points options has been (usually) inoperable as it shows a warning triangle about needing to refresh my point balance first (or something like that), at times I've considered using it.
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i primarily use amex MR card, but i may end up changing card use habits due to things like showing point balance on credit card reader after inserting/swiping (i may stop using MR cards at these places, including mcdonalds which is not a retailer i guess)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 17 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
i primarily use amex MR card, but i may end up changing card use habits due to things like showing point balance on credit card reader after inserting/swiping
I thought this was only an online thing. What physical stores let you use points to pay for stuff?
Old Dec 27, 17, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I thought this was only an online thing. What physical stores let you use points to pay for stuff?
Rite-aid does. You have to be super careful there and elsewhere to not accidentally blow a ton of points on large-sum purchases.
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

a number of places, and more being added, as amex wants people to use them this way

online may be worse in some ways if they keep updating points balance with retailer
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:56 pm

WHOA! I had no idea this was a thing until I just Apple Pay'd using my Amex Plat Business card at Rite Aid just now. Up popped a Red and Green box, making it look like you are hitting green to authorize, but nope - showed my points balance and a rate of something like .006/point. SUPER SHADY

Moreover, does anyone know if an employee card on a business card gets this screen? I used my main card, but if my employees started to use it in the same way and they were able to find out what the company's points balance is I'd be furious with Amex and would switch employees to Chase cards immediately.
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dcrombie View Post
WHOA! I had no idea this was a thing until I just Apple Pay'd using my Amex Plat Business card at Rite Aid just now. Up popped a Red and Green box, making it look like you are hitting green to authorize, but nope - showed my points balance and a rate of something like .006/point. SUPER SHADY.
I stopped using Amex at Rite-Aid for this very reason. I remember one time I thought the question was whether I wanted to use Rite-Aid reward points and I almost hit yes. Now I don't even take a chance and just go with Altitude or CF if drug stores is one of the rotating categories. I really do wish I could disable the feature, but it does come in handy when there's Amazon deal that lets you use a minimal amount of points to get a discount.
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Yuck at this new "Feature" in retail.

Online, I have found I have to authorize each website (Walmart - No. Amazon - Yes) to access my MR balance.
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:20 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
On Amazon it's easy to remove the link to your MR account, it's the GrubHub checkout that has almost gotten me a few times!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: