Wiki Posts
Search

Downsides of selling MR to broker?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex/Aeroplan
Downsides of selling MR to broker?

I've been clearing close to 1mm MR a month to a broker since I run a ticket brokering agency and we have heavy monthly expenses on our Amex cards. So far everything has been going smoothly but the broker constantly transfers my points to different frequent flyer accounts. Has there ever been an incident where amex will ask why I transfer to so many different accounts? Or is this looked at as "normal"?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
My understanding is:

1. You can't transfer MR Points to another MR Account.
2. In order to transfer to "so many" frequent flyer accounts is those accounts would all have to linked to additional Amex Cardmembers on your Amex account.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

1. Yeah we don't do any transfers directly to another MR, only to FF accounts
2. Nope. They pay me more for that option, but there is also the option of transferring to new FF accounts that they create in my name. So we don't add so many additional users.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Given that the Membership Rewards terms and conditions expressly say, "Points are not your property. You can't transfer points to any other person or program account." I would say the big downside of selling to a broker is that you're violating the terms and may have your account (and associated credit cards) closed and all points forfeited.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why come here and ask if it is OK to commit fraud when the contract (t&c) to which you agreed make that quite clear?

If 1,000 people told you that it's OK and it isn't, that wouldn't make a fig's bit of difference.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
If I've got this correctly you (or someone) are creating multiple FF accounts (e.g.Aeroplan) in your name and then transferring MR to them?

The issue may not be AMEX as much as the FF programs if so.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP is participating in a scam. The sale of brokered miles tickets is fraudulent activity, since the tickets are obtained in violation of program rules and are subject to cancelation by the airline.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The OP has asked this in two other spots here on FT and one involved a Canadian Amex thread so the card may have different T&C or may not. I still think it's a bad way to go and OP should stop before Amex audits.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LizGross144
Given that the Membership Rewards terms and conditions expressly say, "Points are not your property. You can't transfer points to any other person or program account." I would say the big downside of selling to a broker is that you're violating the terms and may have your account (and associated credit cards) closed and all points forfeited.
Lol to my knowledge no one has ever had points forfeited or accounts closed for this. But please correct me if I'm wrong
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by malcom32
Lol to my knowledge no one has ever had points forfeited or accounts closed for this. But please correct me if I'm wrong
You are wrong.
dw likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are wrong.
Actually, he is correct.

Airlines have been know to crack down from time to time when it comes to selling mileage tickets, or in some cases they have scrutinized points transfers if they came from Chase.

Amex, however, has never penalized anyone for selling points.

Even in cases where airline accounts were penalized for bartering of rewards, as long as you sell your points/miles to an honest broker you will not incur any loss. But now we're getting off topic....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Nope, not one person ever got in trouble with AMEX over this type of activity. Never, just a myth. In fact, OP should increase his activity even more to show everyone who said it's not allowed and rub it in their collective faces. Include screen shots as evidence that the OP is doing this in earnest (be sure to include MR account number for proof it's the OP).
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Lol ok guys no need to be so sarcastic! I understand that amex would prefer I don't sell my points, but the fact of the matter is there don't seem to be any actual cases of amex penalizing the account holder for doing so! But if there is and I missed it then please advise so I can make an educated decidion next month when I have 1,xxx,xxx MR sitting in my account

To you guys it may seem obvious not to sell your hard earned MR from welcome bonuses, etc. But my company sees this as a serious revenue stream.. $100k+/yr certainly adds up quickly.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Why don't you just open a personal AMEX account, charge all you personal charges on it, and then use the points to pay for those purchases.
or buy gift cards from AMEX... or give the points to me.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Why don't you just open a personal AMEX account, charge all you personal charges on it, and then use the points to pay for those purchases.
or buy gift cards from AMEX... or give the points to me.
Its funny you say that. That is what we used to. However, when we were introduced to a points broker he explained that we could be getting close to double the value by selling them vs using them for charges or gift cards....and the convenience of actual cash.

We're still working on clearing out the surplus of airline gift cards that we got when we used to redeem that way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.