Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will the new Hilton Surpass -> Ascend be a new product?

Will the new Hilton Surpass -> Ascend be a new product?

Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
When someone who had Surpass actually gets a sign-up bonus for Ascend, that would actually be meaningful information.

Considering how tight AMEX has gotten on bonuses, I would be surprised if people's wishful thinking on this point proves true. IMO AMEX has no intent to bonus prior Ascend card holders, and that seems reasonable to me. It is the same basic product.
I agree though I think you mean prior Surpass cardholders.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I think the point was prior Surpass=Reserve=Ascend cardholders.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, you're right. I could see it going either way for Citi card holders who cancelled before the conversion.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
When someone who had Surpass actually gets a sign-up bonus for Ascend, that would actually be meaningful information.

Considering how tight AMEX has gotten on bonuses, I would be surprised if people's wishful thinking on this point proves true. IMO AMEX has no intent to bonus prior Ascend card holders, and that seems reasonable to me. It is the same basic product.
I wouldn't be against your prediction, but I also wouldn't be surprised at all if Amex does give out new bonuses. Marketing departments have a ton of sway. Amex has carefully changed the T&C to make it easier for them to deny a bonus when they think it's appropriate, but they passed on an opportunity to say explicitly in the T&C that Ascend = Surpass. Frequent Miler's point is that non-churners would get tripped up by vague T&C aimed at churners. That's a good reason to be direct.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:57 pm

DP related to if Hilton Ascend is considered a new product:
(Background: previous Surpass cardholder, cancelled more than 1 year ago).

1/18: Applied for Ascend. Instant approval with temporary card number. Finished 3k+ spending on it (NO MS, normal online purchase).
1/19: 3k+ posted.
1/26: Still NO BONUS.

<1% chance a bonus will be posted later.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by lz80521

1/18: Applied for Ascend. Instant approval with temporary card number. Finished 3k+ spending on it (NO MS, normal online purchase).

That sucks, but thank you for taking the chance and reporting the DP back to us
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:40 pm

Another DP to mention: I referred two persons for Ascend card (both approved on 19th), but I haven't got any referral bonus as of today (28th). Maybe all hilton-related bonus has delay in posting? Any other dp of bonus posting (referral or sign-up)?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The American Express Hilton referral system is notoriously unreliable:

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:20 pm
RNE

I have only ever had one Hilton card from AMEX, closed in 2014 and not having "Surpass" printed on it anywhere, just "Hilton HHonors" (sic). I think it was not a Surpass card. Is there any way to know by examining the card? That said, assuming it was not a Surpass card, does that mean I would be eligible for the welcome bonus on the Ascend card? Or would previously having any Hilton card from AMEX exclude me?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:25 pm
mia

What color is the card? Blue is the free card. Dark gray is Surpass. The free card would not disqualify you from a new account bonus on the other Hilton cards.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:11 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
What color is the card? Blue is the free card. Dark gray is Surpass. The free card would not disqualify you from a new account bonus on the other Hilton cards.
It's blue. Thanks! ^

Edit 1: Applied and approved instantly (naturally).
Edit 2: But the card number (that AMEX says "you can start using now") doesn't work. Charges are getting rejected.
Edit 3: So, AMEX customer support told me that "start using now" thing applies solely to book purchases at Hilton, not general use.
Edit 4: Except despite the foregoing admonition, I stubbornly tried again and, lo and behold, I was able to make a charge a merchant.

RNE, saying go figure.

Last edited by RNE; Feb 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lz80521

Man this sucks, I take it the statement has already cycled?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Man this sucks, I take it the statement has already cycled?
Yeah, no bonus.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I downgraded my non-Citi Surpass in mid-January to the no-fee Amex (with new no-FX fees benefit); I currently see an upgrade offer to the Ascend for 75,000 points for 2,000$ spend in 3 months with no T&C language relating to prior ownership of this card/Surpass.

I don't believe I'd have seen this offer if the Surpass/Ascend were considered the same product? Would others agree?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:53 pm
mia

The free card is not the same product as Ascend. Eligibility for an upgrade offer does not imply eligibility for a new account bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.