Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $30 off $60 if you use MRs for Amazon purchase

Old Nov 12, 17, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)

Lucky (at OMAAT) posted this a few days ago and even though American Express did not e-mail me about the promotion, I qualified. I do not believe it to be a mistaken leak either, because I sent it to a friend who did not qualify.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...azon-purchase/

I used 1 MR (for $0.01) and my Amex Plat for the balance of my order, and received $30 off a $60 order. I didn't have anything of that value on my radar, so I bought some Cheesecake Factory gift cards.
Old Nov 13, 17, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if anyone got an email from amex/amazon what was the url in the email?

also, probably going to try 'combining' [spend $50] & [$99 prime] offers soon, anyone done it?
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post

also, probably going to try 'combining' [spend $50] & [$99 prime] offers soon, anyone done it?
I wouldn't count on it working, at least if you are talking about a renewal. The Amex deal gets processed like a coupon, and Prime renewals don't go through the shopping cart. Also, on my statement Prime is "AMAZONPRIME" as the seller, not "AMAZON.COM". Compare that also to "AMZN MKTPLACE" for the third party 'fulfilled by'.

If you qualify for the offer it doesn't hurt to try but try to have another order ready by the end of December
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:12 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

I've read elsewhere that this promo does not work for Amazon Prime. But do check your accounts for other AMEX offers for Amazon Prime. For example, on my Blue Business Plus, I have an offer 5000 MR points for a year of Amazon Prime.

I was eligible for this promo, even though I did a similar one in July. I got a $60 Lowe's e-gift card for $29.99 plus 1 MR point. Sweet!
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthego15 View Post
I've read elsewhere that this promo does not work for Amazon Prime. But do check your accounts for other AMEX offers for Amazon Prime. For example, on my Blue Business Plus, I have an offer 5000 MR points for a year of Amazon Prime.

I was eligible for this promo, even though I did a similar one in July. I got a $60 Lowe's e-gift card for $29.99 plus 1 MR point. Sweet!
Ditto. Used similar offer in July that stacked with another $ off AMEX/AMZN offer to get $75 worth merchandises and paid 1 MR pt plus less than $10 buck.

This time I order a 4-pak $15 Olive Garden GC, paid 1 MR pt and $29.99.

I read some were able to use the Amazon Gift Card balance to pay but I could not as choosing Amazon Gift Card automatically knocked out the $30 coupon. Some posters on DoC site said if the GC balance is equal or smaller than the final total of the order, you would then have the option using GC to pay. There is a smart guy who placed a dummy order to use up his Amazon GC balance down to just below $30 so he could then use the GC to pay for the order. After that, he canceled the first dummy order so the GC used then was returned back to his account. Quite smart to think up such work around.
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Ditto. Used similar offer in July that stacked with another $ off AMEX/AMZN offer to get $75 worth merchandises and paid 1 MR pt plus less than $10 buck.

I read some were able to use the Amazon Gift Card balance to pay but I could not as choosing Amazon Gift Card automatically knocked out the $30 coupon. Some posters on DoC site said if the GC balance is equal or smaller than the final total of the order, you would then have the option using GC to pay. There is a smart guy who placed a dummy order to use up his Amazon GC balance down to just below $30 so he could then use the GC to pay for the order. After that, he canceled the first dummy order so the GC used then was returned back to his account. Quite smart to think up such work around.
Interesting about trying non-Amex payment methods beyond the MRs. I have 5% cash back on Discover, and I probably should have at least changed the payment method for the balance to see if it removed the coupon. C'est la vie though.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Interesting about trying non-Amex payment methods beyond the MRs. I have 5% cash back on Discover, and I probably should have at least changed the payment method for the balance to see if it removed the coupon. C'est la vie though.
You cannot switch card, but if the GC balance is below the order total, the site allows you to choose GC balance to pay FIRST, and still keeps the coupon then by the AMEX card. No other option.
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:17 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Happy View Post

My experience was different. My gift card balance was greater than the $29.99 I spent, yet Amazon automatically deducted the $29.99 from my gift card balance.
I have no idea why this happened for me and not for others.
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Saw this while shopping today and glad I found this thread. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17020113011 has the details.
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
Saw this while shopping today and glad I found this thread. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17020113011 has the details.
Thanks for the link. I just checked all my family accounts and was targeted on all 4 of them,
Thnaks again.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Southwest, UA Silver
Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is that a referral link?
Old Dec 11, 17, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The one I posted? Nope.

is that a referral link?
Old Dec 12, 17, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so it was an ad on amazon? interesting

Search this Thread
Search Engine: