Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page > Experian wont let me cancel membership, how can I use my AMEX to stop them?

Experian wont let me cancel membership, how can I use my AMEX to stop them?

Old Oct 20, 17, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Experian wont let me cancel membership, how can I use my AMEX to stop them?

I know this isnt the normal question, but let me try.

You CANT cancel Experian unless you call them, guess what, yeah, right now I am at one hour and twenty minutes on two phones, two different lines, nothing.

You cant do it online, you cant do it by email.

I do NOT have a long term subscription contract, it is month to month. So can I simply BLOCK them using AMEX?

AMEX told me they can still charge thru them, but I dont see how if I dont have an obligation.

Any ideas? BTW online you CANT delete your CC info, you can add a new card but you CANT delete the one that is on there. They dont even let you see which card they are charging.

Amazing.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:16 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH, Marriott & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post

AMEX told me they can still charge thru them...
This is accurate, American Express will accept recurring charges. After the fact you can dispute the charge, but Experian will likely respond that you did not cancel. In short, you cannot use American Express as a substitute for the inconvenience of cancelling.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:26 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

You can submit a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:45 pm

You CANT cancel Experian unless you call them, guess what, yeah, right now I am at one hour and twenty minutes on two phones, two different lines, nothing.

You cant do it online, you cant do it by email. ...
Let me suggest the following. Write a paper letter to Experian, clearly withdrawing your authorization to charge the AmEx card. Make sure you include sufficient info to identify your account (SSN, etc). Date, sign, copy, then fax and mail the letter. It doesn't even need to travel by trackable means. This process should take you less than 1:20 hrs on the phone.

If Experian charges your card again, report the account to AmEx as compromised and ask for replacement/closure (as desired). After that, you can dispute the unauthorized charge.
Old Oct 20, 17, 1:03 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
... report the account to AmEx as compromised and ask for replacement/closure....
This won't make any difference. Recurring transactions are automatically routed to the replacement card number.
Old Oct 20, 17, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
This won't make any difference. Recurring transactions are automatically routed to the replacement card number.
The quoted step will establish (with documentation) that the charge was unauthorized. It will thus be useful in removing any subsequent rogue charges from the same merchant. Alternatively, the OP can choose account closure as remedy.
Old Oct 20, 17, 1:49 pm

It doesn’t matter. You need to call. If somehow you get AMEX to stop processing the charge you will still owe Experian money. Do you really want to have bed debt with the credit reporting agency?

If you want to risk that though you could switch to Visa or Mastercard and then report that card lost to get a new card #. Or you could switch it to a card you don’t use and then close the card.
Old Oct 20, 17, 1:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
The quoted step will establish (with documentation) that the charge was unauthorized.....
I agree with writing the letter, but reporting the card as compromised doesn't add value that I can see.
Old Oct 20, 17, 4:18 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
You could switch your billing account to a prepaid gift card that has a high enough balance for the temp authorization charge (usually just $1), then spend all the money on the gift card elsewhere before your next billing date. When Experian tries to charge the account, it will be denied with insufficient funds and there will be no chance of anything hitting your credit report or chargebacks to worry about.
Old Oct 20, 17, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80 View Post
You could switch your billing account to a prepaid gift card that has a high enough balance for the temp authorization charge (usually just $1), then spend all the money on the gift card elsewhere before your next billing date. When Experian tries to charge the account, it will be denied with insufficient funds and there will be no chance of anything hitting your credit report or chargebacks to worry about.
This is not true. Just because Experian can’t charge the card doesn’t mean they can’t continue to bill you and report you as delinquent/send you to collections.

Quick anecdote. I like many have joined a gym that I then decided to quit and found that no matter what I did they kept asking me to do more and more things to end the membership—this of course on purpose to extract as many monthly fees as possible. I eventually decided to close the card they were billing. 2 months later I received a letter from a collections agent for 2 months of unpaid membership.
Old Oct 20, 17, 4:36 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
This is not true. Just because Experian canít charge the card doesnít mean they canít continue to bill you and report you as delinquent/send you to collections.

Quick anecdote. I like many have joined a gym that I then decided to quit and found that no matter what I did they kept asking me to do more and more things to end the membershipóthis of course on purpose to extract as many monthly fees as possible. I eventually decided to close the card they were billing. 2 months later I received a letter from a collections agent for 2 months of unpaid membership.
I guess they could do all that, but they could also just cancel the account. The OP would likely know if Experian canceled the account or went the aggressive gym route a few days into the next billing period, well before any collections agencies get involved.

Also, their terms say you can cancel three different ways, including by email:

CANCELLATION

You may cancel at any time during your membership. To cancel your membership please contact us and (i) provide your first name and last name, (ii) the email address associated with the account you would like to cancel; and (iii) the customer number associated with the account you would like to cancel. You may contact us in the following ways:
Phone: 1-866-960-6943
Mail: ProtectMyID, Attn: Customer Care, P.O. Box 19729, Irvine, CA 92623-9729
Email: support@protectmyid.com
Old Oct 20, 17, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80 View Post
I guess they could do all that, but they could also just cancel the account. The OP would likely know if Experian canceled the account or went the aggressive gym route a few days into the next billing period, well before any collections agencies get involved.

Also, their terms say you can cancel three different ways, including by email:
Nope, I dont have that version of their plan and as they explained to me at one hour and 47 minutes of being on hold, I can not cancel by email unless I have that plan.

I was able to cancel, of course I wont sign up again with them ever.

Consumer reports says it is all a waste anyway, order 3 free reports a year from each of the 3 bureaus and go from there.

ID SHIELD or LEGAL SHIELD is $10 a month and I was about to sign up there but they ONLY have info from transunion, so if an inquiry was made on one or both of the other 2 and not transunion, they wouldnt know, I wouldnt know

sigh

Like almost everything else we experience in life, we need MORE regulation of these .......s, while it seems there is little now. That we are at the mercy of these FOR PROFIT companies as to the health of our credit is absolute madness.
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I know this isnt the normal question, but let me try.

You cant do it online, you cant do it by email.

I do NOT have a long term subscription contract, it is month to month. So can I simply BLOCK them using AMEX?

AMEX told me they can still charge thru them, but I dont see how if I dont have an obligation.

Any ideas? BTW online you CANT delete your CC info, you can add a new card but you CANT delete the one that is on there. They dont even let you see which card they are charging.

Amazing.
Had the same issue as you. Reported my card lost to Citi and changed the card number so now it doesn't match the one listed on the website. Next time they try to charge me it won't go through. If it does, next step is to cancel the card outright because it's not that important of a card to me anyways.
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:48 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
It doesnít matter. You need to call. If somehow you get AMEX to stop processing the charge you will still owe Experian money. Do you really want to have bed debt with the credit reporting agency?

If you want to risk that though you could switch to Visa or Mastercard and then report that card lost to get a new card #. Or you could switch it to a card you donít use and then close the card.
You do not owe Experian money if your card is declined. You pay for the monthly service up front, which is why when you cancel, they let you keep your membership until what would have been the next renewal date.
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
You do not owe Experian money if your card is declined. You pay for the monthly service up front, which is why when you cancel, they let you keep your membership until what would have been the next renewal date.
Experian doesnít have to cancel your membership because your payment is declined. Experian will consider your bill unpaid and you will build up a balance owed. Thatís how these business models work.

Search this Thread