Purchase protection vs return protection

Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Purchase protection vs return protection

So I have 2 questions with the return protection/purchase protection

First, the upper limit for return protection is $1000, what if I have a purchase larger than $1000, say $1.5k. AMEX will only refund me $1k right? Then do I need to send the item back? I mean if I send it back, I will loose whatever amount of value that exceeds $1k.

Also, platinum card covers lost item as well. What kind of document is needed for lost items? For the $1.5k item mentioned above, isn’t it better to just lose the item than return it to Amex? Since the lost item coverage is up to $10,000 per item...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
... upper limit for return protection is $1000, ..
It's $300 per item, $1,000 per year. Read here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

isn’t it better to just lose the item
No, that would be insurance fraud. Read here the terms of Purchase Protection and how they deal with fraudulent claims:

Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
It's $300 per item, $1,000 per year. Read here:

No, that would be insurance fraud. Read here the terms of Purchase Protection and how they deal with fraudulent claims:

I was on the phone with AMEX, they said I can “request a $1000 return protection” once per year.

And I don’t mean like emailing them on the computer I claimed to be lost, or calling them on the phone claim to be lost. In some parts of the world, if you don’t pay extreme attention of your belongings, they are very easy to be lost/stolen. Or one can very easily “accidentally” drop the phone in a lake or left it on a train.

My point is, how would AMEX stop people from throwing their $1200 computers into the lakes in order to get higher purchase protection vs return protection.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:06 am
mia

...on the phone with AMEX, they said
In my experience American Express telephone agents cannot change the written terms of benefits. They might, or might not, waive the $300/item cap, but I wouldn't judge based on a single discussion.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I was on the phone with AMEX, they said I can “request a $1000 return protection” once per year.

And I don’t mean like emailing them on the computer I claimed to be lost, or calling them on the phone claim to be lost. In some parts of the world, if you don’t pay extreme attention of your belongings, they are very easy to be lost/stolen. Or one can very easily “accidentally” drop the phone in a lake or left it on a train.

My point is, how would AMEX stop people from throwing their $1200 computers into the lakes in order to get higher purchase protection vs return protection.
I suspect AMEX prosecutes people they suspect of perpetrating insurance fraud or at the very least shuts down all of their accounts.

Now, from a FlyerTalk perspective, we have this:

"Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited."
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I suspect AMEX prosecutes people they suspect of perpetrating insurance fraud or at the very least shuts down all of their accounts.

Now, from a FlyerTalk perspective, we have this:

"Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited."

Wow you are really over reacting ..
First, there is nothing “deceptive, dishonest, illegal or fraudulent” in the posting. Discussing how AMEX will stop this is NOT supporting this, this is just a simple discussion of their rules, or rather the problem of their rules.

Like you said, you *suspect Amex will prosecute or shut down accounts. But the discussion is on, how would AMEX know. Or how will Amex differentiate one really accidental drops his phone into the lake, or one just prefer to go through purchase protection rather than return protection. Because the current rules and limits (300 vs 10,000) does somehow give people incentives to do so.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AMEX will only refund me $1k right?
The limit is $300/item and $1000/year.

But your logic is correct that you only get the maximum back.

Then do I need to send the item back? I mean if I send it back, I will loose whatever amount of value that exceeds $1k.
Assume yes, although it may not necessary for AMEX to ask the item back.

Another alternative is either eBay or CL.

What kind of document is needed for lost items?
Your signature under penalty of perjury.

For the $1.5k item mentioned above, isn’t it better to just lose the item than return it to Amex?
Buyer remorse happens. Unless the refund/exchange policies are harsh (such as Best Buy), most of us can make refund/exchnage without issue. This protection is provided aiming against harsh refund/exchange policies, including restocking fee.

On the other hand, purchase protection aims against any covered incidents.

IMHO - it is a complete misunderstanding of each individual program.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:51 pm
mia

Moderator observation

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
...Now, from a FlyerTalk perspective, we have this:...
....First, there is nothing “deceptive, dishonest, illegal or fraudulent” in the posting.
It's my job to interpret and implement the rules. If I thought there were a problem you would know. Carry on.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
The limit is $300/item and $1000/year.

But your logic is correct that you only get the maximum back.

Assume yes, although it may not necessary for AMEX to ask the item back.

Another alternative is either eBay or CL.

Your signature under penalty of perjury.

Buyer remorse happens. Unless the refund/exchange policies are harsh (such as Best Buy), most of us can make refund/exchnage without issue. This protection is provided aiming against harsh refund/exchange policies, including restocking fee.

On the other hand, purchase protection aims against any covered incidents.

IMHO - it is a complete misunderstanding of each individual program.
In a perfect you are correct, however our world is not perfect.
Given the difference is so huge (30x), someone is going to exploit it. And if PP only covers theft and damage, then someone need to commit perjury in order to exploit as we can’t control when theft happens. However the problem is it covers lost item as well. One only needs to be potentially less careful for him to lose something. He only needs to leave something on a train, or do something ‘less careful’. For example he can go one a boat trip and put the item on the edge of the boat, when a wave comes the item will fall off. Is this an lost item? Of course yes, and he gets up to 30x credit comparing to if he were to use return protection.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Given the difference is so huge (30x), someone is going to exploit it.
Well - nothing is perfect in the reality we are in. You can bet someone will always try to game the system.

But again - return protection and purchase protection are different from each other.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
But the discussion is on, how would AMEX know. Or how will Amex differentiate one really accidental drops his phone into the lake, or one just prefer to go through purchase protection rather than return protection. Because the current rules and limits (300 vs 10,000) does somehow give people incentives to do so.
*How* do they know? That's for them to keep a trade secret. But insurance companies have entire departments that investigate suspected fraud, and the same people who write algorithms that so accurately detect fraudulent transactions, also write algorithms to flag claims. Also, a claims adjuster is going to review your records as part of the claims process and might find your claim fails the 'sniff test'.

It's perjury to file a fraudulent claim, and that's enough for most people to overcome the "incentives" you allude to.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Purchase protection can be very useful in unfortunate circumstances. Return protection on the other hand, lately, is completely worthless. They'll either deny your claim outright as a first resort or just wear you down by requesting the same documentation be submitted over and over.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta DM
not all Amex cards offer Return Protection. Only a few of them do. Amex BZ Plat, PRG, Delta Plat.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by golfr
... Only a few of them do. .
I think this has changed:

Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:02 pm

Unhappy Purchase Protection or Return Protection?

Hi guys, right now I am confused by choosing purchase protection or return protection, hope you can give me some advice!
2 weeks ago I purchased a computer case online. Just during the installation, there is a pre-installed cable on that case has been broken due to poor quality. I then contact the manufacture (which is also the retailer) and they said it cannot be repaired and they cannot offer me a refund. I then realized my AMEX insurance, but I don't really know what should I use, purchase protection or return protection? Since this is my first time to use that, I don't really know... What should I choose? And how does it work?
Hope you can give me some advice and thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.