Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Insurance "enhancements" for Canadian Amex Plat card

I just received an email from Amex stating that

Enhancements have been made to your
Platinum Card Insurance Coverage.
Please check your October statement for details.
I won't get the statement for at least another week. Does anyone know the extent of these "enhancements" and whether they are really a cutback disguised as an improvement? Pardon my cynicism, but I've been through a lot of enhancements at United Airlines since 2012, and these were not changes that I liked.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Looks like the following coverages are changing in some form as of Oct 2nd (according to the docs at https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...NG%2010.17.pdf)

- Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance
- Purchase Protection Plan

It's not clear what is different from before. I'm sure the Oct statements will contain some kind of summary of changes...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Looks like the following coverages are changing in some form as of Oct 2nd (according to the docs at https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...NG%2010.17.pdf)

- Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance
- Purchase Protection Plan

It's not clear what is different from before. I'm sure the Oct statements will contain some kind of summary of changes...
Hmmm. Those are the two most attractive elements of the insurance package to me.

Do folks think enhancements mean real improvements, or is this double-speak for cutbacks in the product?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:48 am

Received my statement. Basically, limits increased for some insurance coverage. Pretty positive move, if minor.

ENHANCEMENTS to PlatinumCard® Insurance Coverage Benefits

Effective October 2, 2017, your coverage is amended as follows:

Trip Cancellation Insurance
The maximum sum for Trip Cancellation prior to departure is increased from $1,500 per insured person (up to a maximum of $3,000 for all insured persons combined) to $2,500 per insured person (up to a maximum of $5,000 for all insured persons combined).

Trip Interruption Insurance
The maximum sum for Trip Interruption after departure is increased from $1,500 per insured person to $2,500 per insured person (up to a maximum of $6,000 for all insured persons combined).

The maximum sum for Out-of-Pocket Expenses (Trip Interruption/After Departure) is increased from $100 per day per insured person to $250 per day per insured person ($1,000 maximum for all insured persons combined).

Purchase Protection® Plan
Coverage is extended from ninety (90) days to one hundred twenty (120) days after the date the insured item is purchased.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Vasco
Received my statement. Basically, limits increased for some insurance coverage. Pretty positive move, if minor.
That is good to hear.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prince.ali
That is good to hear.
+1
You can tell I have been flying on United too long when I see the word "enhancement" and immediately think there's going to be some stealthy cutback.

Thanks to Vasco for sharing this good news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.